Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline river6109  
#51 Posted : 10 March 2017 13:41:30(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Marco, I'm very glad you were not hurt more seriously. Electric shocks at 230V can be fatal.

Thanks for acknowledging my earlier advice about old transformers. On my old metal transformer I changed the cord to a three core cable and earthed the case, but it is now retired from use and I replaced it with a new white transformer from a starter set.

Ray & Marco, I've warned members long before this and than Cookee came along and gave a step by step instruction how to repair such a transformer and this I condemned as well because this should be done by an qualified electrician and not by someone who feels he or she can do such repairs, however Cookee did warn any person of the danger doing such repair.

I'm still shocked to hear: oh well, lucky my children didn't get electrocuted, you must be the most irresponsible person I came across for a long time instead of spending a few dollars on save and insulated and earthed transformers and have a isolator circuit at the main electricity board. you are still trying to repair them.

if there is a law, people like you should be prosecuted , its not only the electrocution, it can cause a fire as well and none of these fatal possibilities you've considered at the slightest.

John
https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode
Offline river6109  
#52 Posted : 10 March 2017 13:46:59(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Yes, I have read Steve's thread. Blushing

BTW, the guy who sold me these transformers warned me that they did not comply with the German 'VDS-norm'
and might not be safe and such.

I had in mind to write: You're a bloody idiot but this is beyond insanity

John

/* An apology to Marco is in order here. Marco wrote these comments over two years ago. Whether you "had it in mind" or not, you actually wrote a personal attack. */

Edited by moderator 10 March 2017 23:13:11(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline kweekalot  
#53 Posted : 10 March 2017 22:48:12(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
John, have you been drinking ? Or smoked something funny ?

Why now this attack on me ? This incident occurred in January 2015.

Please don't say these things and do not judge because you do not know me at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leave judgement to qualified people.

Cursing Cursing Cursing
Offline cookee_nz  
#54 Posted : 11 March 2017 00:29:24(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: river6109 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Marco, I'm very glad you were not hurt more seriously. Electric shocks at 230V can be fatal.

Thanks for acknowledging my earlier advice about old transformers. On my old metal transformer I changed the cord to a three core cable and earthed the case, but it is now retired from use and I replaced it with a new white transformer from a starter set.

Ray & Marco, I've warned members long before this and than Cookee came along and gave a step by step instruction how to repair such a transformer and this I condemned as well because this should be done by an qualified electrician and not by someone who feels he or she can do such repairs, however Cookee did warn any person of the danger doing such repair.

I'm still shocked to hear: oh well, lucky my children didn't get electrocuted, you must be the most irresponsible person I came across for a long time instead of spending a few dollars on save and insulated and earthed transformers and have a isolator circuit at the main electricity board. you are still trying to repair them.

if there is a law, people like you should be prosecuted , its not only the electrocution, it can cause a fire as well and none of these fatal possibilities you've considered at the slightest.

John

In response to this, only because I've been quoted;

I made it very clear at the time that such work should ONLY be undertaken by those who are competent and qualified. The dangers have been spelled out by description and with images.

My "how to" posting was an educational post for the benefit of those who are going to do it anyway and the purpose is SAFETY above all else, it's not a "how to commit suicide" process.

There is no shortage of vintage or antique items that run on electricity and enthusiasts keen on restoring them. Radios, TV's, Computers (pre-1960), Kitchen and Catering Appliances, Office Equipment, Clocks, Jukeboxes, Lamps, Power Tools - (now there's a mine-field) and yes, TOYS from many manufacturers and on it goes.

Yet somehow items in all these categories of equipment can be found all over the world giving reliable and safe service PROVIDED they are serviced to current safety standards.

I will add a further recommendation to anyone who wishes to use one of the older Metal-case Trafo's, even if the power cord has been replaced, the internals thoroughly cleaned and closely inspected and the unit has had the case earthed, I would still STRONGLY RECOMMEND the use of an RCD either in the house circuit (ie in the switchboard as is now law), or via Power Strip containing an RCD or similar fast-acting safety cutout device.

The cautions of those who are in the very conservative safety camp are well-founded and I am not playing those down for a second. But as Marco's own experience proved, those Trafo's he purchased could just easily have been obtained by someone (a newbie) who does not participate in forums like this and who purchased the Trafo as part of a well-meaning first train set for a child. We simply cannot reach those people.

But this forum exists for those who do seek further information, and hopefully will take note of all advice given.

What about the layout construction threads?, do we interrogate people about whether they are competent to use the power tools (drills, saws etc) that are needed to drill or cut timber?, they might lose a finger, cut off a limb, send shards flying into their eyes from not wearing safety googles, or stabbing themselves with a screwdriver.

Or loco servicing where a soldering iron is required. Very easy to burn yourself from poor handling yet the assumption is that people already know what they are doing.

Scenery and Painting - there's a risk of fumes.

New Loco purchases, do we ask members if they are financially healthy, whether their wife knows so that we can do our part for marital harmony.....

Yes of course I'm getting facetious now but I hope I'm making my point. Those in the caution camp are quite right with their warnings, and I personally respect each and every one of you for your viewpoint and I mean absolutely NO offence.

I suspect that anyone who is even remotely uncertain around electricity will heed the warnings and simply purchase a new item instead.

For those who are right into their vintage items and collecting, these threads spell out very clearly what should be checked, and how to check it.

Once again, the repairs referred to should only be undertaken by qualified (electricians, technicians etc) and by definition, competent persons.

Steve / Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#55 Posted : 11 March 2017 00:39:55(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Charles Beecham Go to Quoted Post

These old transformers used a rubber insulated cable, this cable breaks up with age and heat, houses of the same period used similar cable and would have been rewired by now.
Rewiring these transformers is straight forward for someone with this kind of experience. The case being metal makes it essential that the cable is replaced with 3 core to gain the earth wire which should be attached to the metal base using a screw with nuts and washers through a drilled hole.
The screw , first nut and ideally a star washer makes up the earth post two plain washers and the second nut make the cable termination. Its bad practice to attach the earth wire to screw used to secure another component.

Hi Charles, yes you are correct about securely connecting the earth lead.

Although your public profile does not confirm, the assumption from those reading is that you will be in a country where there actually IS an earth pin.

Many of these older Trafos only came with a 2-pin plug to be used on 2-pin outlets.

I don't know about the rest of the world but NZ, Australia and the UK all have earthed 3-pin outlets.

What is the standard in the US, Germany and surrounding Europe (Netherlands, France, Italy, Scandinavia etc)

And what about those other countries where we know there are other Marklineers? - India, South Africa, Asia, Mediterranean etc

If there is no earth pin on the outlets you can't do anything other than rely on the designed Double-Insulation and use of an RCD or similar fast-acting protection.

Steve

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline river6109  
#56 Posted : 11 March 2017 06:02:45(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
John, have you been drinking ? Or smoked something funny ?

Why now this attack on me ? This incident occurred in January 2015.

Please don't say these things and do not judge because you do not know me at all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Leave judgement to qualified people.

Cursing Cursing Cursing

my apologies I didn't realize it was back in 2015

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by river6109
Offline kweekalot  
#57 Posted : 11 March 2017 18:24:13(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Oke John, we all make mistakes. Cool
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot