Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Hackcell  
#1 Posted : 03 January 2015 23:02:01(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Hi there,

Quick question: Is it any other brand out there compatible with Marklin 1 Gauge tracks and equipment? I was looking to purchase a 1 gauge loco, and also analyzing it purchasing a railking MTH locomotive was a good idea, but the MTH loco has a pickup shoe, which, far as I know, the 1 M gauge doesnt.

Thank you in advance.
Danilo Jiménez
Union Pacific and DB Cargo H0 models.
Märklin, Brawa, MTH and some Walthers cars (nobody is perfect!)
Pinball machines, jukeboxes and Horses.
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline tulit  
#2 Posted : 03 January 2015 23:09:44(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
KM1, Kiss and Dingler all make some very nice 1 gauge locomotives. They will be compatible with the marklin track if you select NEM wheelsets.

Are there particular prototypes you are looking for?
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by tulit
Offline Hackcell  
#3 Posted : 03 January 2015 23:19:33(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: tulit Go to Quoted Post
KM1, Kiss and Dingler all make some very nice 1 gauge locomotives. They will be compatible with the marklin track if you select NEM wheelsets.

Are there particular prototypes you are looking for?

Hello,

German steamers and US diesels.
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline tulit  
#4 Posted : 04 January 2015 15:48:17(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
The three brands above cover you nicely for german steamers.

The railking stuff is two rail. The pickups are between the wheels on either side, not in the middle like marklin ho. The specs say they are good on code 250 track. It might be good to contact them and see if they've tried it on Marklin track (which is probably code 200)
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 04 January 2015 17:40:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   

The railking stuff is two rail. The pickups are between the wheels on either side,

Ah, so like the early Maxi items from Marklin ...

Offline tulit  
#6 Posted : 04 January 2015 18:21:17(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

The railking stuff is two rail. The pickups are between the wheels on either side,

Yes, similar idea!
Offline analogmike  
#7 Posted : 05 January 2015 03:33:08(UTC)
analogmike

United States   

Yes, similar idea!

mth rail king is 3 rail a.c. similar to marklin ho except for size. it is NOT compatible with marklin gage-1. mike.
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline Hackcell  
#8 Posted : 05 January 2015 03:42:18(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post

Yes, similar idea!

mth rail king is 3 rail a.c. similar to marklin ho except for size. it is NOT compatible with marklin gage-1. mike.

:-(

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline blid  
#9 Posted : 05 January 2015 11:36:57(UTC)
blid

Sweden   
The names of the MTH product lines are confusing in this tread. MTH RailKing is 0-scale and those items are primarily 3-rail but also 2-rail. The MTH H0 is primarily 2-rail but there are some 3-rail engines too.

MTH RailKing OneGauge is their 1/32 product line. It is 2-rail. The modern diesels have wheels that are said to cope with Marklin tracks. The ones in the latest catalogue (2013) have the ProtoSound 3 decoder with DCC. The older ones have ProtoSound 2 with the MTH DCS protocol only - and that is not compatible with anything else. http://www.mthtrains.com/

Bjorn
OneGauge Marklin and MTH, ESU ECoS 2.1 on LGB tracks. MTH 3-rail 0-gauge, DCS on GarGraves tracks. Z: Rokuhan tracks, analog or DCC+TC Gold.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by blid
Offline tulit  
#10 Posted : 05 January 2015 12:14:47(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: analogmike Go to Quoted Post

Yes, similar idea!

I think you're referring to O gauge. We are talking about 1. At least all the new 1 gauge railking I've seen is two rail.
Offline TouchCab  
#11 Posted : 16 March 2015 20:31:21(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Hackcell Go to Quoted Post

... and also analyzing it purchasing a railking MTH locomotive was a good idea, but the MTH loco has a pickup shoe, which, far as I know, the 1 M gauge doesnt.

MTH One Gauge locomotives have pickup shoes, but that is mainly because they are designed for garden railroad operation. I have some F7s on order which will be running on Peco and Märklin track, and I plan to remove the pickup shoes, since the models have wheel pickups also.

As Björn said, the older models are not DCC compatible and they have pizza-cutter wheel flanges, but you should be OK with the 2013 models.

Jens

Best regards,
Jens
---
This account is no longer active
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Hackcell  
#12 Posted : 16 March 2015 20:40:37(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: TouchCab Go to Quoted Post

... and also analyzing it purchasing a railking MTH locomotive was a good idea, but the MTH loco has a pickup shoe, which, far as I know, the 1 M gauge doesnt.

MTH One Gauge locomotives have pickup shoes, but that is mainly because they are designed for garden railroad operation. I have some F7s on order which will be running on Peco and Märklin track, and I plan to remove the pickup shoes, since the models have wheel pickups also.

As Björn said, the older models are not DCC compatible and they have pizza-cutter wheel flanges, but you should be OK with the 2013 models.

Jens

Hi Jens,

Cool! Please let me know removing the pickup shoe and having the MTH equipment running on M track!

Thank you!
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline TouchCab  
#13 Posted : 16 March 2015 20:51:15(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
To be fair, I also plan to repower the models with NWSL trucks eventually. They will be running on MTH factory trucks for a while, though.

One reason to keep the pickup shoe is that e.g. a four-axle MTH diesel has traction tires on one wheel pair, effectively reducing the wheel pickup efficiency by 25%.

Jens
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline Hackcell  
#14 Posted : 21 March 2015 16:29:36(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: TouchCab Go to Quoted Post
To be fair, I also plan to repower the models with NWSL trucks eventually. They will be running on MTH factory trucks for a while, though.

One reason to keep the pickup shoe is that e.g. a four-axle MTH diesel has traction tires on one wheel pair, effectively reducing the wheel pickup efficiency by 25%.

Jens

Will you change the MTH wheels only or even the Marklin ones? My biggest concern is having two different brands 1 gauge locomotive and not being able to run both at the same time because of the tracks. I love Marklin locos, but they have no US 1:32 locomotives :-/
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline TouchCab  
#15 Posted : 21 March 2015 17:15:42(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   

Will you change the MTH wheels only or even the Marklin ones? My biggest concern is having two different brands 1 gauge locomotive and not being able to run both at the same time because of the tracks. I love Marklin locos, but they have no US 1:32 locomotives :-/

Don't worry about the different brands. In my club we have all kinds of brands running at the same time. As long as the command station knows the protocol and the wheels are OK for the track, you're fine.

I fully expect my MTH F7s to run on the club layout right from the box, but the MTH design is a little odd. The two A units are a master/slave set with only one decoder. MTH is using a proprietary protocol called DCS or ProtoSound, but PS version 3 understands basic DCC, which is why I ordered these units.
The B units are dummies, however. No power, no sound and no smoke, so I want to fit NWSL power trucks and ESU LokSound decoders and smoke units in those. To match the A and B units (I've ordered an ABBA consist), I want to install ESU decoders in the A units as well, and to improve current pickup, I expect to fit NWSL trucks in the As also.

I had originally planned to fit only powered NWSL trucks for a ridiculously overpowered 16-axle drive, but since then I have "accidently" ordered one more B unit so I'll have an ABBBA consist, and I think I'll settle for one powered truck on each unit. It should be more than enough Laugh
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Hackcell  
#16 Posted : 21 March 2015 18:41:01(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Good to know about the no problems with the tracks!!! A last question: What are the advangates of the NWSL wheels over the OEM wheels?
Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline TouchCab  
#17 Posted : 21 March 2015 20:44:02(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
A last question: What are the advangates of the NWSL wheels over the OEM wheels?

Mainly that the NWSL trucks don't have traction tires, so the current pickup is better - which doesn't matter if you leave the pickup shoes on, but as I said, I want them off.
Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#18 Posted : 21 March 2015 21:11:03(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
[I love Marklin locos, but they have no US 1:32 locomotives :-/

Not quite correct, Marklin has previously produced a few 'Maxi' F7 locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Hackcell  
#19 Posted : 23 March 2015 06:27:31(UTC)
Hackcell

Costa Rica   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
[I love Marklin locos, but they have no US 1:32 locomotives :-/

didn't know that!!! I'll take a look :-)

Danilo Jiménez
Costa Rica, pura vida!!
Offline TouchCab  
#20 Posted : 23 March 2015 10:19:06(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post

I was once offered an AA set of UP F7s from a friend at the club at a reasonable price, but turned down the offer. I don't like those models. Too toy-like for my taste, but so is most of the Maxi series.

Someone on the web had fun with such Maxi F7s, though. He's converted a bunch of them to methanol-electric drive. A small combustion engine on methanol powers a generator/dynamo that supplies electrical power to the motors. That's live-diesel if you will.
BigGrin

Jens

Edited by user 12 April 2015 19:39:41(UTC)  | Reason: Clarification

Best regards,
Jens
---
Offline Dangermouse  
#21 Posted : 05 April 2015 14:45:15(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Just beware of the "standard gauge" models produced by LGB, Piko, and the late lamented AristoCraft. They use the same 45mm track gauge but are physically larger.

These are usually somewhere around 1:29 scale as their manufacturers wanted to avoid them looking undersized next to G scale models (which use 45mm gauge track to represent either 760mm or metre gauge, so are larger than 1:32).
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline TouchCab  
#22 Posted : 05 April 2015 23:09:21(UTC)
TouchCab

Denmark   
Originally Posted by: Dangermouse Go to Quoted Post
Just beware of the "standard gauge" models produced by LGB, Piko, and the late lamented AristoCraft. They use the same 45mm track gauge but are physically larger.

These are usually somewhere around 1:29 scale as their manufacturers wanted to avoid them looking undersized next to G scale models (which use 45mm gauge track to represent either 760mm or metre gauge, so are larger than 1:32).

That's right. The US market is a mixture of scales commonly referred to as G gauge or simply 'large scale'. The most common scale seems to be 1:29 - for whatever reason, but your explanation seems plausible.
I don't really understand it, because no matter how you look at it, 1:29 on 45mm track is narrow gauge, but not any common prototypical narrow gauge AFAIK.
The only two mainstream US manufacturers I know make 1:32 scale are MTH and Accucraft.

Incidently, Aristocraft is sort of continued under the name Polks GeneratioNext but again, it's 1:29 scale.
Best regards,
Jens
---
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by TouchCab
Offline Dangermouse  
#23 Posted : 10 April 2015 23:46:02(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
It gets even weirder if you look at the "standard gauge" LGB models.

Apparently the bogies on the DB coaches are 1:32 scale, but the coach body has been blown up so as not to look undersized with their G scale range.

Japanese manufacturers make both Shinkansen and standard Japanese trains to run on 9mm track. As the standard trains are narrower gauge they use a larger scale, so both are correct in relation to the track gauge.

You can never have too many Silberlinge