Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline ice 1  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2015 11:05:58(UTC)
ice 1

Hi
I just have a question on MFX Decoders in locos.
What happens if you bought 2 locos the same with MFX Decoders is it straight forward changing the address etc.
Thanks
Offline Goofy  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2015 11:11:43(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: ice 1 Go to Quoted Post
Hi
I just have a question on MFX Decoders in locos.
What happens if you bought 2 locos the same with MFX Decoders is it straight forward changing the address etc.
Thanks

Nothing...Märklin´s locomotive have unique adress programmed by of Märklin.
If you like,you can even name both models with difference name.
Or adresses too...

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2015 11:46:58(UTC)
H0

Hi!
When using mfx, the address will be set by the digital controller automatically based on the serial number of the decoder.
Every decoder should have an individual serial number.
So there is no problem when using mfx - unless they forgot to set the serial number at the factory (and this is a problem only if you happen to get two locos where they forgot that).

For MM operation, you set the MM address like you do with programmable MM decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline ice 1  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2015 12:41:41(UTC)
ice 1

Thats fine thanks so they are very advanced decoders then
I see they have a newer MFX decoder in the new Class 152 that has extra sounds and can be used with the new central station for extra features one way to get people to upgrade i suppose.
I have a mobile station ref 60652 got it in an ice start set the problem im having is that i put in an FX loco address say 5 and away it goes on the small layout and then i stop it and run a loco say number 6 and away it goes and then i stop it and then i want to run number 5 again so i go in enter address 5 and it tells me Address used and i cant seem to be given another option to flick between locos or bring up an MFX Loco which is on the track into the display.
I went and entered all the loco address and names into my mobile station and then when i entered an address for any loco entered it told me addr used it just gives me the option of useing the database or the address so any time i want to run a loco again i keep having to hit the factory resset button.Please could you assist me
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2015 16:03:03(UTC)
H0

I went and entered all the loco address and names into my mobile station and then when i entered an address for any loco entered it told me addr used it just gives me the option of useing the database or the address so any time i want to run a loco again i keep having to hit the factory resset button.
You can enter up to 10 locos into the MS loco list. By pressing the "loco" button you enter loco selection mode. Turn the speed knob until the desired loco shows up, then press the "loco" button again to control that loco.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline perz  
#6 Posted : 10 January 2015 17:29:55(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

So there is no problem when using mfx - unless they forgot to set the serial number at the factory (and this is a problem only if you happen to get two locos where they forgot that).

Do you know about anyone who has experienced this problem in reality? Or is it just a theoretical possibility?
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 10 January 2015 19:19:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: perz Go to Quoted Post

Do you know about anyone who has experienced this problem in reality? Or is it just a theoretical possibility?
I had two locos with serial number 0xffffffff (i.e. serial number was not set).
As expected those two locos could not be controlled independently.

And another problem made it worse: both Mobile Station and Central Station always forgot those locos when they were shut down. I presume 0xffffffff is the marker for deleted items. Loco would not register again as it remembered the controller, but the controller had deleted the loco.

And with the first new E 41 or 141, Märklin shipped a batch of locos where the serial number was not set. I don't have those, but many customers reported that problem.

This happens rarely - but it did happen and it may happen again.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline MikeR  
#8 Posted : 11 January 2015 09:27:31(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Originally Posted by: perz Go to Quoted Post

And another problem made it worse: both Mobile Station and Central Station always forgot those locos when they were shut down. I presume 0xffffffff is the marker for deleted items. Loco would not register again as it remembered the controller, but the controller had deleted the loco.

Hi Tom

Did you mange to reregister the locos? I have wondered if this is possible or if there is someway of doing a factory reset on the locos which might then forget the controllers?

Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 11 January 2015 09:49:58(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
Did you mange to reregister the locos? I have wondered if this is possible or if there is someway of doing a factory reset on the locos which might then forget the controllers?
The locos remembered the Central Station and would not register again. The Mobile Station was a new controller for them and they registered. Now back to the Central Station and they would register. This had to be done each time the Central Station was restarted.

I sent the decoders to Märklin and got replacements with serial numbers. (Took only two attempts - at first they returned the unchanged decoder with the comment that it didn't need to have a serial number set).

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline perz  
#10 Posted : 14 January 2015 22:03:19(UTC)
perz

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: MikeR Go to Quoted Post
The locos remembered the Central Station and would not register again. The Mobile Station was a new controller for them and they registered. Now back to the Central Station and they would register. This had to be done each time the Central Station was restarted.

I sent the decoders to Märklin and got replacements with serial numbers. (Took only two attempts - at first they returned the unchanged decoder with the comment that it didn't need to have a serial number set).

Well, this could explain some strange errors that I have read about. Personally I have never got an mfx loco or mfx decoder without the serial number set.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by perz