Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline luckas  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2015 02:47:10(UTC)
luckas

Happy New Year friends,

I have a problem with one of my Marklin steam loks, a class 18.4 from the starter kit 29855. It was running very poorly - stuttering etc. At first I thought an over oiling issue, so I have disassembled and cleaned the motor thoroughly. I had also previously replaced the rubber tires, which required disassembly of a connecting rod. The lok appeared to run fine for awhile, then suddenly stopped. It now runs very poorly, stuttering and then stopping without warning. In most cases, sudden stopping is also accompanied by a bent connecting rod - which is most peculiar. I've checked the tightness of the connecting roll screws, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it going on. How a perfectly running lok can suddenly start bending connecting rods is a new experience for me. I'm hoping it's something obvious that I've done wrong - and would appreciate any advice.

Much appreciated,

Paul
Offline Tom Jessop  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2015 03:32:59(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   
Check to see if one of wheels is out of phase with the other ones on the same side .

Cheers Tom in Oz

This should probably be moved to the General Forum .
Offline hemau  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2015 17:48:10(UTC)
hemau

Hi Paul,

The same happened once with my GT 2x4/4. A wheel was loose on the axle and would not get stuck again.
Fixed it with Loctite 638 after setting it in right phase (this process also has a name which I can't remember right now). Alternative for Loctite would be to 'knurl' the axle but that requires some machinery.

Succes! Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hemau
Offline Renato  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2015 18:12:01(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Originally Posted by: hemau Go to Quoted Post

Fixed it with Loctite 638 after setting it in right phase (this process also has a name which I can't remember right now).

Succes! Henk

Hi Henk,

Maybe the word is "quartering" ?

Cheers

Renato
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Renato
Offline hemau  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2015 18:56:35(UTC)
hemau

Thanks Renato, that's the right word!
Greetings, Henk
C and M track; CS1R and 2 MS
Offline steventrain  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2015 21:21:31(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: luckas Go to Quoted Post
Happy New Year friends,

I have a problem with one of my Marklin steam loks, a class 18.4 from the starter kit 29855. It was running very poorly - stuttering etc. At first I thought an over oiling issue, so I have disassembled and cleaned the motor thoroughly. I had also previously replaced the rubber tires, which required disassembly of a connecting rod. The lok appeared to run fine for awhile, then suddenly stopped. It now runs very poorly, stuttering and then stopping without warning. In most cases, sudden stopping is also accompanied by a bent connecting rod - which is most peculiar. I've checked the tightness of the connecting roll screws, but for the life of me I can't figure out what it going on. How a perfectly running lok can suddenly start bending connecting rods is a new experience for me. I'm hoping it's something obvious that I've done wrong - and would appreciate any advice.

Much appreciated,

Paul

Do you have a photos?
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline biedmatt  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2015 22:03:24(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Quartering could be one cause. Another could be getting the wrong screw in the wrong location. The screws will have shoulders so it will tighten against the wheel, but allow the clearance for the rod. They will sometimes have different shoulder locations and some may even have a spacer or washer between the rod and the wheel. Did you need to remove more than one screw per side? Did you notice a very small black spacer on the work bench? I learned the hard way on my Br 45. When I replaced the tires it acted just as you are describing. It is not like the old days when all the siderod screws were the same. I now lay them out in order on the work bench and check for spacers before I remove the screws. Check M's parts diagram for the model to see if the screws are different and if there should be a spacer.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline SteamNut  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2015 22:51:36(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I have a 33185 and there is no sheet from Marklin on this BR 18.4 but there is one for 33181,33184,37181 and 37184. It does not show washers but there is a lot of fine screws for the linkage perhaps one is missing. I had this month two loks that were missing screws and causing problems one similar to yours. Waiting for parts and tools (small metric nut drivers) which should be in next week. Meanwhile I stopped operations till everything is checked out on my loks. Good luck - Fred