Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Ausipeet  
#1 Posted : 02 January 2015 01:45:27(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Came across a strange and fascinating loco the other day, i can not recall the model number but it did say Marklin on the side of the cabin, the thing that made it stand out was that when i turned it to look at the pick up shoe there was no pick up shoe, instead the was a round spring loaded metal plug situated slightly of centre that acted as pick up for this loco, having seen this set-up the thing that intrigues me is if this spring loaded pin is of set from centre then how can it pick up current from the centre rail? this leads me to believe that it might not be a three rail loco.
Is there any one here who might be able to shed some light on this please.
i will try to get some pictures in the next few days and post them here.

thank you
PeterConfused

Edited by moderator 05 January 2015 18:08:53(UTC)  | Reason: heading

Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 02 January 2015 02:31:47(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Sounds real interesting.. Photos would be good.. Was it H0 scale?

Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline Ausipeet  
#3 Posted : 02 January 2015 02:44:17(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
yes it is HO hope to be able to post pics tonight or tomorrow.
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 02 January 2015 03:05:25(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Ausipeet Go to Quoted Post
the thing that made it stand out was that when i turned it to look at the pick up shoe there was no pick up shoe, instead the was a round spring loaded metal plug situated slightly of centre that acted as pick up for this loco....................Confused

Sounds like the old setup on the Fleischmann engines, can't recall the point of the "button" but IIRC it was on all the pre '70's loco's, maybe it was for triggering points/accessories ?. Perhaps its a early Hamo loco .Confused
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline jcrtrains  
#5 Posted : 02 January 2015 03:17:04(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
Yes;

Fleischmann had 2 mechanisms for triggering. One was as described; the other was a small indented square so that a small additional magnet could be placed inside.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#6 Posted : 02 January 2015 10:15:35(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
..... there was no pick up shoe, instead the was a round spring loaded metal plug situated slightly of centre that acted as pick up for this loco, having seen this set-up the thing that intrigues me is if this spring loaded pin is of set from centre then how can it pick up current from the centre rail? this leads me to believe that it might not be a three rail loco.
i will try to get some pictures in the next few days and post them here. thank you
PeterConfused

Hi Peter,
Pure speculation here, on the description, but both Hornby Dublo (UK) and VB (France) used round spring loaded pick-ups on some of their devices.
Trix Twin (UK) used an offset spoon shaped pick-up, in conjunction with the normal centre slider.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
Offline RayF  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2015 10:23:58(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi peter, your description matches what one would see on the bottom of a Hamo locomotive. Please post photos so we can confirm.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2015 10:47:04(UTC)
Goofy

Came across a strange and fascinating loco the other day, i can not recall the model number but it did say Marklin on the side of the cabin, the thing that made it stand out was that when i turned it to look at the pick up shoe there was no pick up shoe, instead the was a round spring loaded metal plug situated slightly of centre that acted as pick up for this loco, having seen this set-up the thing that intrigues me is if this spring loaded pin is of set from centre then how can it pick up current from the centre rail? this leads me to believe that it might not be a three rail loco.

thank you
PeterConfused

I think you mean it´s for switch contact rail?
It´s for two rail and why it sit on the AC model i don´t understand.

www.fleischmann.de/en/pr...0-0-005006/products.html

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline Renato  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2015 11:11:10(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Peter,

My speculation: till the late 50's the Märklin tracks had the third rail as a solid centre rail, so instead of the slider a sort of spring loaded metal button was installed to pick-up the voltage (or current).

I have no locomotives of such a type, but IIRC I saw this device on pictures of older locomotives or at a Modellbahn Treff in Göppingen.

I think it is not suitable for running on tracks with the "pukos", specially for the problems that could occurs on turnouts.

Cheers

Renato
Offline cookee_nz  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2015 12:02:25(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Hi peter, your description matches what one would see on the bottom of a Hamo locomotive. Please post photos so we can confirm.

Exactly correct, I have a couple of HAMO Loco's and they too have the button - it's not a pickup however, it's grounded to the chassis.

It is indeed for a detection track, as used by Fleischmann (as noted by Goofy) who would most likely have been a significant market for HAMO.

Here is an image of the underside of an 8322 (3022) as well as the track image Goofy links to.

Regards

Cookee

Edited by user 02 January 2015 19:39:03(UTC)  | Reason: Add image and clarification

cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
HAMO8322-trucks.jpg
Fleischmann-11743.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline cookee_nz  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2015 12:21:12(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

thank you
PeterConfused

I think you mean it´s for switch contact rail?
It´s for two rail and why it sit on the AC model i don´t understand.

www.fleischmann.de/en/pr...0-0-005006/products.html

It's not on an 'AC' model, it's on a DC model = HAMO. Wink
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Ausipeet  
#12 Posted : 02 January 2015 23:18:17(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Thank you all, the images Cookee posted are what i was referring to and has cleard up for me my inqiury. so now i know i will not be looking at purchasing this unit.
thank you all
Offline cookee_nz  
#13 Posted : 03 January 2015 04:39:16(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Thank you all, the images Cookee posted are what i was referring to and has cleard up for me my inqiury. so now i know i will not be looking at purchasing this unit.
thank you all

If you like the loco and the price is right they are often not hard to convert to three rail. What is the model?
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
Offline Ausipeet  
#14 Posted : 05 January 2015 00:47:34(UTC)
Ausipeet

Australia   
Received the pictures of the Loco in question, this is the unit i was making inquiries about
Ausipeet attached the following image(s):
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Offline analogmike  
#15 Posted : 05 January 2015 03:02:08(UTC)
analogmike

United States   
hi peet; it looks like a dc lok because of the one-sided ground pickups on the tender. the box also does not match what's inside and it looks like someone has carved-out the styrofoam to fit the new ''mysterylok''. if 3-rail a.c. is your thing i would stay away from this one if you haven't purchased it yet. good luck, mike.
I love the smell of smoke fluid in the morning .
Offline cookee_nz  
#16 Posted : 05 January 2015 10:08:25(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Received the pictures of the Loco in question, this is the unit i was making inquiries about

Hi Peter,

Hard to tell without seeing the road number clearly but my guess is that it's a 3047 Class 44 in the HAMO version making it 8347 and it should have Telex which is a bonus. As for the box, it sure is munted. 'Nuff said about that.

** Side note; how does Telex work with DC - anyone know?

In my opinion, conversion would not be too much of a problem but there are two aspects to it.

1: The wheels and pickups. The thing with HAMO is that the wheels are isolated each side (with a plastic bush in the axle) and this can pose some problems with smaller models. Fortunately, that model has wheels for Africa so a reliable rail contact is really not going to be a problem despite the fact that one full side of the Loco & Tender are isolated. Where it 'might' be a problem though is if you make use of Circuit Tracks having the isolated outer rail (for activating automated crossings, and also Station lights), is the isolated rail happens to be the same side as the grounded wheels, it will stop.

You will need to change the existing pickup from the current style which rubs against the inside of the wheels, to the traditional pickup shoe and this will involve obtaining those parts needed - the pickup shoe itself and the plate with wire that the shoe attaches to.

Interestingly, that one looks like the pickup is from the Tender wheels, and quite a few models are like this but the 3047 has its pickup under the Loco itself so this could actually give you two options but does mean at least one wire between the Loco and the Tender. Note the 3047

2: The Motor - now here's an advantage because it's already a DC motor, means it has the all-important permanent magnet instead of the reversing switch so you should fit a Decoder instead of trying to install a reverse unit - even if you only ever intended to run Analogue, it will be easier and I dare say cheaper and more reliable.

So yes there's a bit of work involved, and other have already said to pass on it, but heck, if it's cheap enough (ie $50 or less) then you might get a lot of satisfaction from the project. Anything more than that I think you could get a better one already 3-rail.

My two HAMO models are both Electrics so I have the added option of overhead operation anyway.

Hope this helps

Cookee
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by cookee_nz