Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages<12
Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Dreadnought  
#51 Posted : 20 January 2015 00:04:52(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Loderunner,
I am not sure, I think it sits in a bracket, or holder and the body, and smoke stack went over it. I suggest e mailing Mike at Westend Trains in Toronto. He did mine, and had done two or three before mine. He is very friendly, and very obliging.

Westendtrains1@bellnet.ca

Or use contact on the web page
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Shamu  
#52 Posted : 20 January 2015 00:38:07(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Shamu Go to Quoted Post

I have no intention of paying that much money for a cabinet queen and would certainly want to run it regularly so I would imagine at least 4 to 6 pull downs a year for service. A less intrusive way of greasing the worm gear would be a bonus for all the new loco's.

That represents an awful lot of running if you are going to lubricate 4 - times a year. Six times a year represents every two months. Four times a year is every three months.

Now working on the basis that recommended oiling times are after 40 hours of operation, then at six times a year for oiling that represents about 3/4 hour a day of running every single day. For four times a year that represents around a half hour of running every single day, give or take.

Bear in mind that that is actual running, that sort of level for six times a year servicing, to me would represent something approaching a museum layout for running a loco ... Blink

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
Originally Posted by: Dreadnought Go to Quoted Post
Chatting with my dealer as he did the smoke generator, my impression is that it will be some years before it will need lubricating.
For some locos Märklin gives a maintenance interval of 20 hours for lubrication of the wormdrive. Dry wormdrives will die silently, so IMHO better don't wait for the "oil me" noise of older locos.

Alan,

I was basing my assumptions on all my other "worm drive" loco's which are 20 hour service intervals.

That's only 1 1/2 to 2 1/2 hours a week depending if its a 12 or 8 week period. I guess with the number of loco's I have 1.5 hours a week would be closer to the mark. I fully imagine once we move and the new layout is up and running with the grandkids close at hand a good 8 hours a week minimum will be the average running time overall for the various loco's.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline loderunner  
#53 Posted : 20 January 2015 02:32:05(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   
Hi Dreadnought,

I think I was making it complicated. In some other Maerklin Locomotives I had to insert the 7220 from bottom in the chimeny. But in this case there is backet provided for steam generator insertion. That is what I did and installed the Chassis back on the main frame. It is working fine. The somke is coming out from the chimeyBigGrin . Putting the chassis back was a little tricky as you mentioned in your post. I loosened the front truck and inserted the screw with a tweezer whic has it front at 30 deggree bend in the hole where screw was supposed to be and tighten the screw without any problem.
Thanks for the warning re putting the spring back on the truck. I avoided this by not uninstalling the truck completely and using a tweezer with about 30 degree bend.

Thanks for your input.

Loderunner
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by loderunner
Offline Shamu  
#54 Posted : 21 January 2015 09:08:27(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Ok, one more question Dreadnought....... or anyone else that could try......... can it deal with 6 carriages (Orient Express +1) and a 4 deg slope ?

IF it can and assuming I miss out on lot 663 at the W&W auction in a few hours (god were was SWMBO when I needed her Blushing) I think I will bite the bullet, take the plunge....... upset the little woman and grab one before they slip through my fingers.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Dreadnought  
#55 Posted : 21 January 2015 16:12:52(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Hello Shamu,

I have pulled two light carriages, neither with slider or lights, up a 10% incline. They were the old Bavarian ones with spoked wheels in DB colours that Marklin made about ten years ago. There were no problems or slippage that I could see. I am at work, (I need to pay for my excesses), but will try a longer train this evening and report back if you wish.

So far I am very pleased with this locomotive. Given that Herself thinks this is a beautiful locomotive, I venture to suggest SWHBO will fall to its charms too.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline kiwiAlan  
#56 Posted : 22 January 2015 14:36:30(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Just got an email from bwbahn in Munich ...

quote ...
Trix H0 – Set der Woche:

Trix H0 22049 Schnellzug-Dampflok S2/6 im Set mit 4 perfekt dazu passenden bayrischen Personenwagen von Trix (23469, 23470, 23471 und 23472) UVP 751,75 Euro!

UVP der Lok: 499,95 Euro, im Set für 449,95 Euro!
UVP der Wagen: 62,95 Euro, im Set für je 37,50 Euro!
Rabatte können NUR in Verbindung des Sets gewährt werden!

Jetzt zum Hammerpreis von unglaublichen 599.95 Euro

end quote ...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline RayF  
#57 Posted : 22 January 2015 14:58:12(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I just bought four of those coaches to go with the 37015! ThumpUp
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Shamu  
#58 Posted : 22 January 2015 16:03:59(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Oh dear....… just spent 370 euros plus postage Unsure

Ive pushed my luck as it is, I'll just have to make do with my cream & brown Orient Express set

Fingers crossed it gets here before swmbo comes home Wink
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Goofy  
#59 Posted : 23 January 2015 17:52:08(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: loderunner Go to Quoted Post

I beleve Maerklin 7220 and Seuthe 20 are of the same dimensions.

Thanks

It´s same producer Seuthe who do produce smoke generator.
Märklin´s is made of Seuthe,but cost more just because of the Märklin´s package.
Seuthe are cheaper.

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Dreadnought  
#60 Posted : 31 January 2015 14:14:13(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I was running the locomotive with four coaches a few days ago. Herself came into the train room. She watched it running at a good clip, smoke pouring out, all lghts on, sounds on, with water pump, and air pump going strong. She was welcomed with a long whistle blast. After a few minutes she said, " That is a beautiful locomotive."

Shamu, I bet SWMBO will be equally smitten. I look forward to her review.
thanks 11 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Shamu  
#61 Posted : 02 February 2015 08:59:08(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Well who would have thunk it (old cricket saying) the postie arrived just on 6pm with a parcel from Kieskempter.Woot
Inside 1 x 37015 plus a smoke unit and a huge bonus bottle of SR24.Love

Thank the gods SWMBO is not due back till this weekend,Blushing mind you she was due home 4 weeks ago.......... its all her fault I bought it Flapper LOL

I'll bung a photo in the loco thread for what its worth. Although if I get brave and put the smoke unit in I'll post photos here for that.
thanks 10 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline steventrain  
#62 Posted : 20 February 2015 20:22:48(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Attention - 37015 is sold out at Marklin!
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by steventrain
H0MikeR
Offline Webmaster  
#63 Posted : 20 February 2015 21:17:50(UTC)
Webmaster

So, now we wait for the next color variation of the S 2/6... Wink
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline pab  
#64 Posted : 01 March 2015 14:33:11(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Positive review of the Märklin S2/6 in the March issue of the Miba
Offline RayF  
#65 Posted : 01 March 2015 17:03:15(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
So, now we wait for the next color variation of the S 2/6... Wink

They could do one in blue with black lining, but it might appear as white and gold in different light. BigGrin
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#66 Posted : 03 March 2015 19:26:04(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: pab Go to Quoted Post
Positive review of the Märklin S2/6 in the March issue of the Miba

I did read test in another train magazine.
There is some problems with the details.
It´s easy to broken small parts!
Locomotive is okey to drive,but nothing big difference from than Brawas S 2/6.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#67 Posted : 03 March 2015 20:48:25(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
..."some problems with the details"??....and yet Minirail writes: "In my opinion it must rate as the most finely detailed steam locomotive that Marklin has ever made."
its like reading a road test of the latest Volvo: one mag says "quite a brilliant vehicle"; whilst another says "antiquated, stodgy vehicle".
Which really goes to show that mag tests on their own cannot be used to make up your mind about purchasing a new model: ...if the model "lights your fire" then no matter what umpteen mags say...go get it!
"its easy to break small parts"....go figure....really!?
I did read in another mag that the Marklin S2/6 is far superior to the Brawa S 2/6.....see what I mean about mag reporting...!!??LOL
Joe
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline Dreadnought  
#68 Posted : 03 March 2015 21:54:08(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Sorry Goofy, and other critics. I still think it is a beautiful locomotive. To this simple mind, it looks even better running, pouring smoke, and making all the noises it can.

I think the detailing is probably as good as anything Marklin has done, at least from my limited experience and collection. I would agree with those who, with more experience, venture to say it is the finest Marklin has ever made.

It has very fine, and fragile detailing. The same can be said of a number of the recent models with the separately applied hand rails, pipes, and valves. For that reason I handle it as little as possible. It therefore lives on the turntable tracks when not running.

Critics may complain about it all they like, but as an owner I love it. Who would take a spade to a soufflé?
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#69 Posted : 04 March 2015 19:02:48(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
well said dear Sir......it certainly is one beautiful looking, sounding, running, smoking loco! And long may you enjoy her Love
Joe
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Joseph Meiring
Offline Ian555  
#70 Posted : 04 March 2015 20:52:48(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

Over here in Scotland, she is one beautiful looking Loco.

Ian.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline Dreadnought  
#71 Posted : 25 October 2015 18:22:53(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
Some time ago someone, I think Shamu, asked about the pulling power of this locomotive.

Today I did a test run up my 10% incline, pulling my five newly arrived CIWL coaches. At about half power there was some slippage, particularly noticeable on corners. That said the consist easily made it up the incline.

By the way the new CIWL coaches look wonderful behind it. They are lovely with great lighting.
Three cheers for traction tires!!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline nitramretep  
#72 Posted : 25 October 2015 23:31:44(UTC)
nitramretep

United States   
I have had mine for 5 months, no issues, nice locomotive and it looks stunning. The paint work is superb and the lighting is very nice. I did tone down the cab lighting as it was a little too bright. This locomotive is designed to pull large rakes of coaches and run at a good clip. Lubricating the motor gear box involves removing the front bogie which can be tedious. I would brought two had I realized it would be sold out so quickly.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nitramretep
Offline Armando  
#73 Posted : 31 October 2015 17:31:18(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Dear all,

I acquired this S 2/5 Locomotive sometime back. It is really a finely-detailed locomotive, while it seems to maintain the Märklin standards in terms of robustness of construction. I can confirm the earlier comments about its operation and functions. However, I did have an issue with it. One of the rod bolts (riveted) came loose, and I had to have it sent back to the factory in Germany for repairs. They repaired it, and it's now back in its prime shape again. So, beware, beware when you handle it!!

The only thing I cannot possibly understand is why Märklin did not deliver this extremely expensive (and despite, Chinese-made) locomotive with the smoke generator already installed in it (like the Brawa ones). Installing the smoke generator in this locomotive is pretty challenging, and given its fine details and separately applied parts, could lead to damages or disaster. The screw under the front pilot bogie is very difficult to tight back into place. Märklin should have had the grace to deliver this loco with the smoke generator already in place.

I also have the Brawa one, albeit in the Palatinate brown-violet livery. It's hard to pick one of the two as my favorite. The detailing on the Brawa one may be one degree more polished than on the Märklin one. However, the sounds on the Märklin outdo the ones on the Brawa (which now sounds outdated and faded, by comparison). This nonetheless could be fixed by installing a newer decoder on the Brawa (which I might eventually do). Moreover, although, not totally confirmed by me yet, the pulling power on the Brawa S 2/6 seems to be much weaker than on the Märklin one.
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Armando
Offline kiwiAlan  
#74 Posted : 31 October 2015 19:30:23(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post

I also have the Brawa one, albeit in the Palatinate brown-violet livery. It's hard to pick one of the two as my favorite. The detailing on the Brawa one may be one degree more polished than on the Märklin one. However, the sounds on the Märklin outdo the ones on the Brawa (which now sounds outdated and faded, by comparison). This nonetheless could be fixed by installing a newer decoder on the Brawa (which I might eventually do). Moreover, although, not totally confirmed by me yet, the pulling power on the Brawa S 2/6 seems to be much weaker than on the Märklin one.

Another thing (told to me by a Marklin representative at the Treff) is that the Marklin one will run on M track, which the Brawa one apparently won't. I guess the flanges are too fine for the check rails around points and so on.

Offline mbarreto  
#75 Posted : 31 October 2015 20:38:16(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   

I have the M* and B* BR15s and IMHO the B* looks better (except inside the cabin) and the M* is much better for layout as it is more robust and also runs better.
We can handle the M* easier and without save a prayer everytime before we pick the loco. Specially the stairs in the front of the B*
are very polite. The * comes with separate stairs for display or for large radius curves. What I most like in the B* are the wheels and the rods.

Miguel

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Webmaster  
#76 Posted : 01 November 2015 19:23:02(UTC)
Webmaster

I have the 37015, as well as Brawa version. Unfortunately the Brawa is far more fragile and has had some parts falling off...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline mbarreto  
#77 Posted : 01 November 2015 19:53:50(UTC)
mbarreto

Portugal   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
I have the 37015, as well as Brawa version. Unfortunately the Brawa is far more fragile and has had some parts falling off...

That's it. In my understanding the most delicate parts of B* are the stairs in the front.
Hope Märklin do the speed record version.

Best regards,
Miguel
Mostly Märklin H0.

Offline Webmaster  
#78 Posted : 02 November 2015 21:39:03(UTC)
Webmaster

Stairs at the front as well as one of the tender swinging doors in my case regarding the Brawa...