Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline jvuye  
#1 Posted : 30 December 2014 16:37:13(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hello everyone.

Santa Claus was generous this year with two large sets under the Xmas tree: a new Lyria TGV with all the extra cars sets and the beautiful 6 cars RAe TEE # 37547

I must say that both models are very nice, but I am really disappointed with the couplers on the TEE!
I am not coming back to the old discussion about the distance between coaches, but really the realibility of the connection!

Off the box, the train did not run because one the connectors did not completely "lock", even when following scrupulously the somewhat cryptic "how to" drawings in the booklet Angry
After multiple trials it finally got started and ran beautifully ..but only for a while!Cursing
The coaches started to uncouple spontaneously ...and after 3 dozens of re-coupling...the very thin plastic material gave up the ghost and broke up.
I checked , the material has no resilience an no elasticity, and seems to be made of a lower grade poly-carbonate, with absolutely **no** flexibility.
Not good for something that has to "click in"!

I have ordered the replacement parts, and it is no big deal to replace them, but I am a bit disappointed with such an expensive 800€+ set and only less than 30 minutes of operation. Sad

Anyone else has made similar observations?

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline GlennM  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2014 18:45:40(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Hello everyone.

Santa Claus was generous this year with two large sets under the Xmas tree: a new Lyria TGV with all the extra cars sets and the beautiful 6 cars RAe TEE # 37547

I must say that both models are very nice, but I am really disappointed with the couplers on the TEE!
I am not coming back to the old discussion about the distance between coaches, but really the realibility of the connection!

Off the box, the train did not run because one the connectors did not completely "lock", even when following scrupulously the somewhat cryptic "how to" drawings in the booklet Angry
After multiple trials it finally got started and ran beautifully ..but only for a while!Cursing
The coaches started to uncouple spontaneously ...and after 3 dozens of re-coupling...the very thin plastic material gave up the ghost and broke up.
I checked , the material has no resilience an no elasticity, and seems to be made of a lower grade poly-carbonate, with absolutely **no** flexibility.
Not good for something that has to "click in"!

I have ordered the replacement parts, and it is no big deal to replace them, but I am a bit disappointed with such an expensive 800€+ set and only less than 30 minutes of operation. Sad

Anyone else has made similar observations?

Cheers

Hi,

Just to be clear I understand that you are having problems with the new RAe TEE? Do you have any pictures of the coupling in question, I have the older RAe TEE, and whilst the couplings are awkward, I have not yet had any issues as described by you, but then again the coupling may have changed?

By the way can you confirm if the Lyria connection the same as the TGV?

Best Regards

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
Offline jvuye  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2014 19:32:23(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

Just to be clear I understand that you are having problems with the new RAe TEE? Do you have any pictures of the coupling in question, I have the older RAe TEE, and whilst the couplings are awkward, I have not yet had any issues as described by you, but then again the coupling may have changed?

Best Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn.
The (vertically arranged) couplers seem to be physically identical to the first version, only the contacts parts are different.
The new ones have seven poles, and the contacts on the male side are spring loaded pins, just pressed against pads on the female side. The slightest space and conatct is lost
The older ones have 5 poles, contacts being proper plug and jacks. Even a few mm "off" and it still connects.

In both cases, the contact parts (a small connector) is snapped on the short coupling mechanism part.

I'll shoot pictures tomorrow.
I am waiting for a reply from my trusted dealer in Paris...

The TGV is different altogether, is made of plugs and jacks, mounted horizontally.
Work perfectly and reliably, although it is **highly advisable** to use the supplied alignment gauge to couple the coaches, keeping the connectors in place.

Cheers

Edited by user 31 December 2014 10:13:10(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Offline GlennM  
#4 Posted : 31 December 2014 11:30:04(UTC)
GlennM

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: GlennM Go to Quoted Post

Hi,

Best Regards

Glenn

Hi Glenn.
The (vertically arranged) couplers seem to be physically identical to the first version, only the contacts parts are different.
The new ones have seven poles, and the contacts on the male side are spring loaded pins, just pressed against pads on the female side. The slightest space and conatct is lost
The older ones have 5 poles, contacts being proper plug and jacks. Even a few mm "off" and it still connects.

In both cases, the contact parts (a small connector) is snapped on the short coupling mechanism part.

I'll shoot pictures tomorrow.
I am waiting for a reply from my trusted dealer in Paris...

The TGV is different altogether, is made of plugs and jacks, mounted horizontally.
Work perfectly and reliably, although it is **highly advisable** to use the supplied alignment gauge to couple the coaches, keeping the connectors in place.

Cheers

Thanks for the reply and the detailed information, I look forward to seeing the pictures in due course.

The RAe is such a beautiful set, it is a shame if the new one has been let down by cheap connectors. I am guessing they upgraded the connectors from the original because this new version is MFX and has to carry more data down the length of the train?

BR

Glenn
Don't look back, your not heading that way.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GlennM
Offline blsstl  
#5 Posted : 25 January 2015 00:59:31(UTC)
blsstl

United States   
This is the most disappointing item (37547 SBB RAe TEE) I have ever purchased from Marklin! The quality of the couplings/electrical connections between cars is awful, worthless even. For $900 I expect near perfection. This is simply terrible.

I could not get it to register on my CS, at all. Updated software to newest version. Finally, connected only the end units and middle lok on programming track. TA-DAH! Moved to mainline. Nothing. Nothing. Back to programming track. Nothing. Reset CS, reinstalled up to to current. Still, nothing. SO frustrating. Went to bed.

I spent hours today cleaning my C-track (needed anyway). Put just the TEE end units and lok on again, and instant recognition. Moved to mainline and it was off and running! Pushed the controller knob to stop it, and it went "dark". After much fiddling got it alive again and ran fine for a bit. Finally was stopping with no response on curves (nothing smaller than R3). Again manually back to "home" by the CS and got it to light back up, and running consistently. Added intermediate cars and NOTHING. Nothing. Started removing cars and could get it to light up (used interior lights "on" to troubleshoot).

Another issue, often whether running OR stopped, when changing direction mode (with knob or arrows) it would go dark again. With only the end units and lok, it would run for awhile, and changing direction on a full straight worked OK, but stopping on a curve and then changing direction it would go dark and unresponsive.

The "vertical" couplers, well-described by jvue, physically connected OK, and I never had any physical uncoupling. But the electrical connections are so poor that any variance (or extra cars) and the train won't even register and stays "dark".

Gently pushing an end car and lok together would light it up again. Sometimes it stayed, sometimes not, like a short, but it's clearly a physical electrical connection problem. I seem to have the problem more often at one end than the other, but the issues repeated both ways.

Was never able to run the train with more than just the end units and lok.

I was going to sell my "Grey Mouse" since I like the older TEE paint scheme ... but maybe I'll just swap the bodies and give up all the extra digital functions of the new model. But that's an expensive way to get the train I'd like ...

- Bill

Offline eduard71  
#6 Posted : 25 January 2015 02:40:33(UTC)
eduard71

Chile   
Hi Bill,
You should return the train to your dealer for repair or exchange. As you said it is not acceptable to have 900$ train not working in a perfect way.
I have the first Tee the 39540 and I had the same issue with the couplers broken after some time, that was fixed and now I have some spare coupler in my sparts inventory.

Regards

Eduardo

Originally Posted by: blsstl Go to Quoted Post
This is the most disappointing item (37547 SBB RAe TEE) I have ever purchased from Marklin! The quality of the couplings/electrical connections between cars is awful, worthless even. For $900 I expect near perfection. This is simply terrible.

I could not get it to register on my CS, at all. Updated software to newest version. Finally, connected only the end units and middle lok on programming track. TA-DAH! Moved to mainline. Nothing. Nothing. Back to programming track. Nothing. Reset CS, reinstalled up to to current. Still, nothing. SO frustrating. Went to bed.

I spent hours today cleaning my C-track (needed anyway). Put just the TEE end units and lok on again, and instant recognition. Moved to mainline and it was off and running! Pushed the controller knob to stop it, and it went "dark". After much fiddling got it alive again and ran fine for a bit. Finally was stopping with no response on curves (nothing smaller than R3). Again manually back to "home" by the CS and got it to light back up, and running consistently. Added intermediate cars and NOTHING. Nothing. Started removing cars and could get it to light up (used interior lights "on" to troubleshoot).

Another issue, often whether running OR stopped, when changing direction mode (with knob or arrows) it would go dark again. With only the end units and lok, it would run for awhile, and changing direction on a full straight worked OK, but stopping on a curve and then changing direction it would go dark and unresponsive.

The "vertical" couplers, well-described by jvue, physically connected OK, and I never had any physical uncoupling. But the electrical connections are so poor that any variance (or extra cars) and the train won't even register and stays "dark".

Gently pushing an end car and lok together would light it up again. Sometimes it stayed, sometimes not, like a short, but it's clearly a physical electrical connection problem. I seem to have the problem more often at one end than the other, but the issues repeated both ways.

Was never able to run the train with more than just the end units and lok.

I was going to sell my "Grey Mouse" since I like the older TEE paint scheme ... but maybe I'll just swap the bodies and give up all the extra digital functions of the new model. But that's an expensive way to get the train I'd like ...

- Bill

Offline NewMB  
#7 Posted : 09 February 2015 22:33:19(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
Thought I add my 2c as well.

Was contacted by PJMarklin after he had issues with his connectors so couldn't wait to test mine. Well, love and behold. Me too!

Totally unacceptable my Marklin to release this item with way below par electrical connectors that are clearly to short. Never mind the price! I'll be sending mine back asap for replacement, repair or money back as spending close to €900 for an item that simply does not work is NOT my way of accepting business!

Bad on Marklin for this!!

Patrik
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NewMB
Offline NewMB  
#8 Posted : 24 February 2015 08:32:52(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
UPDATE

Had an email from Marklin today as well as a enclosed pdf showing how to connect the beautiful 37547.....seems that Marklin have understood that the owners of this model are not happy....

Doc below.
File Attachment(s):
Offline xxup  
#9 Posted : 24 February 2015 08:48:54(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
Thanks for the PDF.. That has to be the worst coupling design for model railway.. It might work in a static electronic device, but not something that moves and has to be separated irregularly to maintain properly or for storage.. So the purpose of the pdf was for Marklin to say that their customers do not know what they are doing? Cursing

I nearly bought this set. I am glad I went with the 26800 instead..
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
Offline steventrain  
#10 Posted : 24 February 2015 10:04:15(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the PDF.

Attention - Do not buy it.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline NewMB  
#11 Posted : 24 February 2015 10:08:28(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the PDF.

Hehe...too late Crying

The model is a beauty..... will give it a go as soon as Marklin + LokShop returns mine.

Patrik
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NewMB
Offline jvuye  
#12 Posted : 24 February 2015 21:00:31(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: NewMB Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the PDF.

Hehe...too late Crying

The model is a beauty..... will give it a go as soon as Marklin + LokShop returns mine.

Patrik

Thanks a lot for this.
I figured that much by myself, but still, the material of the coupler is low gradeand will not last very long.
There was a precedent in the 1980's (!!!!!) with the highly brittle "nylon" couplers for 3370 Ice first generation....but at least at the time spares were forthcoming.. 😛
Offline NewMB  
#13 Posted : 24 February 2015 21:07:09(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
Thanks for the PDF.

Hehe...too late Crying

Patrik

Thanks a lot for this.
I figured that much by myself, but still, the material of the coupler is low gradeand will not last very long.
There was a precedent in the 1980's (!!!!!) with the highly brittle "nylon" couplers for 3370 Ice first generation....but at least at the time spares were forthcoming.. 😛

I can't wait to test mine although i dont actually think that it will work and unfortunately the model will be a pure display model (an expensive one at that!).

Patrik
Offline jvuye  
#14 Posted : 24 February 2015 22:28:15(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thanks for the PDF.

Hehe...too late Crying

Patrik

Thanks a lot for this.

I can't wait to test mine although i dont actually think that it will work and unfortunately the model will be a pure display model (an expensive one at that!).

Patrik

Let's keep sharing experiences...at least we'll make the best of it.😉
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 25 February 2015 00:03:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't intend to buy this model for totally unconnected reasons, but is there anyone with different/better experience of this train?

Surely not every model falls apart on the first lap of a layout? Wouldn't Marklin have noticed that at the testing stage?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline PJMärklin  
#16 Posted : 25 February 2015 08:09:50(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
I don't intend to buy this model for totally unconnected reasons, but is there anyone with different/better experience of this train?

Surely not every model falls apart on the first lap of a layout? Wouldn't Marklin have noticed that at the testing stage?

Hello Ray,

I bought mine from Lippe.

When I emailed them to ask what I should do, I received this reply :

"Hello Mr. xxxxxx,

to couple these coaches is pretty tricky. We tested the train before we have sent
it to you, it was ok.
You must couple the connectors very tight, that you can't see the metal pins any
more. If you can see the pins, the coaches are not connected correctly and the
train won't run.
Please try to couple the coaches so tight that you do not see the metal pins in
the connectors.

Best regards

xxxxxxxx"

I am yet to revisit this but as I recall, the connectors were quite tight with no pins showing.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#17 Posted : 25 February 2015 17:58:30(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I have been following this thread with great interest. I already have the RABe eurocity and RAe gottardo but what I am not really comprehending is if the couplings on these two differ from the model being discussed here?

If they dont I can only say both the RABe and RAe have been working great for me. They have been a bit tricky to connect but once connected the seem to stay that way. Uncoupling them though is quite difficult as the small hooks seem rather fragile. I recall reading in another thread that ordering a spare coupling would be a wise investment.
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline PJMärklin  
#18 Posted : 26 February 2015 02:57:19(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS Go to Quoted Post
I have been following this thread with great interest. I already have the RABe eurocity and RAe gottardo but what I am not really comprehending is if the couplings on these two differ from the model being discussed here?

If they dont I can only say both the RABe and RAe have been working great for me. They have been a bit tricky to connect but once connected the seem to stay that way. Uncoupling them though is quite difficult as the small hooks seem rather fragile. I recall reading in another thread that ordering a spare coupling would be a wise investment.

Hello Oliver,

I would be grateful if you could possibly post an image of your couplings, please.

Regards,

PJ
#19 Posted : 27 February 2015 07:57:11(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Hello Oliver,

I would be grateful if you could possibly post an image of your couplings, please.

Regards,

PJ

Sure. I will be able to take som pictures this weekend so let me get back to you.

Edited by user 28 February 2015 20:54:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
#20 Posted : 28 February 2015 20:30:06(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
As promised, here are some photos of a single coach from both the RABe and RAe set.
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline Janne75  
#21 Posted : 28 February 2015 21:17:38(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

They look identical for me. Do you have any problems with these ones? Are the connections reliable and not too fragile so they will break easily?

I don't have 37547 myself and probably never will have, but I'm just curious.

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
#22 Posted : 28 February 2015 22:27:57(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

They look identical for me. Do you have any problems with these ones? Are the connections reliable and not too fragile so they will break easily?

I don't have 37547 myself and probably never will have, but I'm just curious.

Hi Janne,

I have not experienced any issues with these connectors so far and no "disconnects" so far. While they seem to be reliable the feel a bit fragile though.

SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline PJMärklin  
#23 Posted : 01 March 2015 11:06:17(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
As promised, here are some photos of a single coach from both the RABe and RAe set.

Hello again Oliver,

Thank you for the images.

I attach an image of the 37547 coupler.
As you can see it has 7 connections - just more opportunity to go wrong!

Regards,

PJ

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline Janne75  
#24 Posted : 01 March 2015 11:48:23(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

This is totally offtopic as this topic is for 37547, but I just want to show you those more reliable two 5-pin connectors in 37605 DB VT 11.5. Those pins in 37605 looks longer than 37547:

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
#25 Posted : 01 March 2015 12:02:29(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

This is totally offtopic as this topic is for 37547, but I just want to show you those more reliable two 5-pin connectors in 37605 DB VT 11.5. Those pins in 37605 looks longer than 37547:

UserPostedImage

Regards,
Janne

I once had the 37609 silver edition TEE set. Sold it though as there was no extension set.

I can't help but wondering though, all 10 pins can't possibly have different functions? Is it really a matter of a redundant plug? Ie, 2 pins per wire inside the train? This to ensure function reliability and keep the train connected?
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline Janne75  
#26 Posted : 01 March 2015 14:23:54(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I really don´t know if all 10 pins are used, but this loco has two motors and sounds, lights and so on.

Janne
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline NewMB  
#27 Posted : 21 April 2015 15:16:23(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
Update.

Received mine back from Marklin and obviously nothing wrong with it in the first place (except those silly connectors).

Followed the instructions to 100% and love and behold. It works!

An absolute beautiful model and I am sooooo pleased it will not end up in the display cabinet only.

A bit loud though from factory.....I mean, LOUD!
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by NewMB
Offline jvuye  
#28 Posted : 21 April 2015 19:43:46(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Update.

Received mine back from Marklin and obviously nothing wrong with it in the first place (except those silly connectors).

An absolute beautiful model and I am sooooo pleased it will not end up in the display cabinet only.

Hi MB,
Thanks for this update
Could you please post a picture or two of the connectors' area to see if they made any changes relative to the original deliveries.
Thanks!

Offline NewMB  
#29 Posted : 22 April 2015 23:10:08(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
Update.

Hi MB,
Thanks for this update
Could you please post a picture or two of the connectors' area to see if they made any changes relative to the original deliveries.
Thanks!

Mine is the original one so no different.

Actually i dont think Märklin have changed anything. The instructions are in an earlier post from me as a pdf. I followed those and it worked.

Basically;

1. Take two units and the flat black tool that came in the box.
2. Connect the units as before. The connector will now be pointing upwards and the connection is not tight.
3. Use the black flat tool to carefully push the connector down while pushing the two units together. A sort of click sound comes and all connectors are sitting tight.

Voila! You are done.

Actually it was very simple and worked. The model works perfectly and is awesome!

Patrik

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NewMB
Offline PJMärklin  
#30 Posted : 23 April 2015 10:27:40(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   

Mine is the original one so no different.

Actually i dont think Märklin have changed anything. The instructions are in an earlier post from me as a pdf. I followed those and it worked.

Basically;

1. Take two units and the flat black tool that came in the box.
2. Connect the units as before. The connector will now be pointing upwards and the connection is not tight.
3. Use the black flat tool to carefully push the connector down while pushing the two units together. A sort of click sound comes and all connectors are sitting tight.

Voila! You are done.

Actually it was very simple and worked. The model works perfectly and is awesome!

Patrik

Hello Märklineers!

You may recall my bitter, disappointed post at the commencement of these concerns about the 37547 coupler, and my despair with Märklin.

Thanks to Patrik's information I too have successfully coupled the train and it is superb! I like it very much.
Videos soon.

Regards,

PJ
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by PJMärklin
Offline NewMB  
#31 Posted : 25 April 2015 12:57:59(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
Pics of the set. Up and running.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Kinda cool as every wagon seems to be a different colour.
UserPostedImage

Running on one of the paraderoutes.
UserPostedImage
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by NewMB
Offline jvuye  
#32 Posted : 30 January 2017 20:13:36(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
At long last, finally got my set to run properly for the first time since X-mas 2014!
It took almost two years to receive the spares from Märklin, but got them a few weeks ago.
Replaced the broken ones today, coupled as indicated using the special tool provided to push the coupler down gently until you ear a "click"and the set went to work flawlessly in an instant!
The material of the new couplers look different (the originals were dark grey and slightly irridescent, the new ones are matt black)
The connectors themselves are identical.
Problem solved, but only after two years in the box.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by jvuye