Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cargodog  
#1 Posted : 29 December 2014 23:31:00(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this question is posted in the wrong section, or if my questions have been answered elsewhere. I've searched through the forum, but didn't find what I'm looking for.

So, here's the lay of the land. I'm new to this digital MRR world, but not to MRR in general. I've just had a short break from this hobby for 25 years.

I've got loads of old M track, including switches, slip switches, turntables, etc. I also have 6 analogue trains (2x old steamer, 2x diesel loco, 1x Crocodile, 1x Zeppelin) that I'd really like to convert to digital. It'd be easier to buy new digital versions, but my old ones has a lot of sentimental value.

That was the background info. Now for the questions.

1) Would it be possible for someone in here to make a list of things I'd need to upgrade my track system to digital?

2) Could someone make a list of things I need to upgrade my analogue trains?

3) is it possible to digitally control my switches, and turntable, or would I need to still use the old analogue control boxes?

4) Further down the road, would it be possible to install signals that the individual trains would actually adhere to so the trains can run autonomously? Or would they just be for "show"?

Surfing the good ol' interweb, trying research my needs, I've stumbled across a lot of acronyms like mfx, mfx+, dcc, dc, cs1, cs2, ms1, ms2, ESU etc.

I've gotten more confused by my research, and I can't figure out if some of the stuff is outdated, or if there are different standards. If there are different standards, I'd obviously need to settle on one standard, and convert all to that standard.

I wouldn't say that money isn't an issue, but by the same token I want to set up a system that I can enjoy with my two boys for years to come.

Any light someone can shed on this would be greatly appreciated.
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline kimballthurlow  
#2 Posted : 30 December 2014 00:24:00(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Hi,

To take things slowly, I have two bits of advice, and others will follow.

1. Many modellers use M track running with digital locomotives. (Digitizing turnouts and signals themselves will need more devices)

2. It is easy to convert your old locomotives using Marklin digital kits. These supply the DC componentry for the motor, plus the decoder. And you will need a controller, perhaps what we call an MS2 to start with.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 30 December 2014 01:40:46(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Cargodog Go to Quoted Post
Hi,

Surfing the good ol' interweb, trying research my needs, I've stumbled across a lot of acronyms like mfx, mfx+, dcc, dc, cs1, cs2, ms1, ms2, ESU etc.

OK, step one is to separate the mnemonics into ones that have common themes.

So to start, we have digital data systems: -

dc - the 'original' (also known as 'analogue') method of sending power to a locomotive. The voltage is applied directly to the track, and at the locomotive the motor terminal are directly connected to the wheels, so the track voltage drives the motor.

dcc - stands for Digital Command Control. DCC is a trademark of the NMRA, and technically cannot be used for any other digital control system, although it is loosely used as a term to say that a loco is using digital control instead of having the voltage directly applied to the motor from the track.

MM, MM2, Marklin Motorola - all terms you didn't list above, but still relevant. MM (Marklin Motorola) is the original digital control system used by Marklin. It is known as this as it was developed around a set of chips that the Motorola Semiconductor company made for remote control use in T remotes, garage door openers, etc. MM2 was a later version that allowed an extra four functions to be controlled on the locomotive compared to the MM which had only one function which was used to turn the headlights on and off. MM and MM2 are limited to 80 locomotive addresses and 320 accessory addresses (points, signals, etc). MM and MM2 are not compatible with dcc.

mfx - this is a new protocol introduced by Marklin to introduce two new features, vis an expansion of the number of available functions from 5 (used in MM2) to 16. It also introduced the ability of the locomotive to talk back to the controller. This allows a locomotive or wagon with an mfx controller to tell the controller what functions it has available, what function keys control these functions, and what icons are to be used at the function key to identify the function assisgned to that function key. It also sends a text string to the controller to display on the screen to identify the loco. In most ex-factory locos this will display the full road number of the loco, but can display other information, especially if a wagon. Another feature of mfx is the locomotive address space is expanded to 16000+.

mfx+ is an enhanced mfx system that allows more 'play' value. this allows the controller to display on its screen a cab layout related to the locomotive at the selected address to control. It also allows the amount of fuel, water (on steam locos) and sand carried by the loco to be 'used' as the loco travels around the layout, requiring the loco consumables to be replenished after a period of rinning. There are three levels of 'play' with this feature.

Next item to consider is control units, which you list a number of: -

6020 - original Marklin digital control unit supports the MM protocol only.

6021 - original Marklin control unit for the MM2 protocol. There are a number of derivatives of this unit that are simplified versions used in start sets or later production versions.

ms1 - mobile system 1 - the original entry level mfx controller. This will operate as a standalone controller, with the possibility of having a second one as a slave controller. The ms1 can keep track of up to 10 locomotives at a time in its internal database. If additional locos are put on the track they cannot be operated unless one of the others are removed from the active database. As an alternative they can be used as a slave controller to a cs1, meaning that obtaining a full featured controller doesn't totally make the ms1 obsolete for an owner expanding their layout. In either standalone or slave mode they are limited to controlling only the lowest numbered 8 of the 16 possible functions a loco can have. It can also operate mm2 protocol simultaneously to mfx, so is backwards compatible with older locomotives. These units are 'old fashioned' in their styling. The Marklin unit has a red knob, there is also a Trix version with a green knob and incompatible software, so the two units cannot be operated together.

cs1 - central station 1 - the original full featured mfx controller. Has two control knobs, one each side of the screen, and the screen is logically divided into two controllers so that two locomotives can be controlled at once. The cs1 can use an ms1 as a slave handset, with the cs1 supplying loco information to the ms1 as to what mfx locos have been discovered on the layout. These units are also 'old fashioned' in their styling, and were originally made for Marklin by another company called ESU (Electronic Solutions Ulm) who also made the ms1 and the mfx decoders for Marklin.

ms2 - mobile station 2 - the current entry level mfx controller supplied in many start sets. This is a much updated version of the ms1 with a lot more features. It is also able to operate accessory decoders which the ms1 cannot do. The styling of the package is also much more modern.

cs2 - central station 2 - the current 'full featured' mfx controller, which can also deal with the extra features of mfx+ when a (free) software update is applied. There are something like three different model numbers for cs2 controllers which are all software compatible, but extra hardware features are available in the later versions that make them more reliable and able to drive more locomotives as the current out has been increased. The cs2 can use an ms1 or ms2 as slave controllers. Marklin have also very recently introduced a PC program which allows a PC to be used as additional controllers when communicating with a cs2 which is using the current software update.

ESU - Electronic Solutions Ulm - a separate company that contracted with Marklin to develop and manufacture the ms1, cs1 and original mfx decoders for Marklin. Unfortuantely due to non-performance by ESU in sorting out software problems the arrangement went sour, and Marklin went through a separate process to develop the ms2 cs2 and new decoders. Part of the problem was ESU was sharing its development effort in designing its own control unit, the EcOS, which has many of the features of the cs1, but was differently styled and did some other things in different ways. ESU still make decoders compatible with mfx, which they call Lokpilot M4 for one without sound functions, and Loksound M4 for ones with sound functions. ESU use M4 to signify these decoders will work with mfx as mfx is a Marklin trademark, and as part of the breakup of the contract they had to come up with a new name for the mfx capability. ESU also make Lokpilot and Loksound decoders that do not understand mfx, so if using ESU decoders to retrofit Marklin locomotives, make sure you get the correct ones. Loksound decoders are arguably the best sound decoders on the market, and can be downloaded with your own sound set if required.

This is just a basic description of the meanings of the different mnemonics. There is a lot that isn't covered here, but that can be left to further questions where you want points clarified, or you need further information as you proceed with building your system.

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Cargodog  
#4 Posted : 30 December 2014 13:10:39(UTC)
Cargodog

Denmark   
Thanks for the inputs, Kimball, and Kiwi. Much appreciated.

It has cleared up a lot of things for me. After doing a bit more research, I think I'll probably go with the ESU Ecos 50200. It seems like a very good option, and gives me the option to step away from the Marklin proprietary system, which seems to give me a bit more flexibility down the road, should I need it.

Thanks again.

Cheers, René...
If everything's under control, you're just not going fast enough.
There are two types of men. Those who want to build a big layout, and those who didn't get permission from the wife.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 30 December 2014 18:06:01(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the inputs, Kimball, and Kiwi. Much appreciated.

It has cleared up a lot of things for me. After doing a bit more research, I think I'll probably go with the ESU Ecos 50200. It seems like a very good option, and gives me the option to step away from the Marklin proprietary system, which seems to give me a bit more flexibility down the road, should I need it.

Thanks again.

Cheers, René...

The Marklin cs2 and ms2 will also send DCC signals as an alternative to mfx. My understanding is that it is possible to use both at the same time.

I understand the EcOS can do the same.

So it is not necessary to go the EcOS route to be 'fully flexible'.

thanks 5 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 31 December 2014 09:53:12(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
The Marklin cs2 and ms2 will also send DCC signals as an alternative to mfx.
Yes, the CS2 supports DCC - but ECoS does it much better.
Yesterday at the club meeting we had an ECoS around - my latest Piko loco registered automatically on the ECoS using RailCom+ within seconds - and all 29 functions were available.
On a CS2 it could register automatically using mfx (CS2 does not support RailCom) and only 16 functions would be available. It could be registered manually using DCC, but still the user interface of the CS2 would be limited to 16 functions (I understand that all 29 functions are available using third-party PC software with the CS2).

So it is not necessary to go the EcOS route to be 'fully flexible'.
IMHO the ECoS is more user-friendly and more powerful than the CS2.
Everybody ahould try both before making a purchase decision. CS2 brings mfx+, ECoS brings RailCom+ and better DCC supports - and user-friendly screens to program ESU decoders.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Marklin4me  
#7 Posted : 02 January 2015 10:32:38(UTC)
Marklin4me

Denmark   
Hi Cargodog

Happy new year

Welcome to a wonderful world ThumpUp

I will recommend you to look at Digitaltog. Here you can read a lot more and step by step advise. Peter have done a great job on his site. If you are in Valby-hallen to Hobby-messe 2015 (28/2 & 1/3) you are welcome to come by "Digitaltog.dk". We will be sitting at a stand and renovates train from analog to digital and answer questions.
You are also welcome to write a PMBigGrin

Regards Ulrik
Regards
Ulrik
Marklin4me
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Marklin4me
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 02 January 2015 11:01:20(UTC)
Goofy

Hi,

I'm new to this forum, so please forgive me if this question is posted in the wrong section, or if my questions have been answered elsewhere. I've searched through the forum, but didn't find what I'm looking for.

So, here's the lay of the land. I'm new to this digital MRR world, but not to MRR in general. I've just had a short break from this hobby for 25 years.

I've got loads of old M track, including switches, slip switches, turntables, etc. I also have 6 analogue trains (2x old steamer, 2x diesel loco, 1x Crocodile, 1x Zeppelin) that I'd really like to convert to digital. It'd be easier to buy new digital versions, but my old ones has a lot of sentimental value.

1) Would it be possible for someone in here to make a list of things I'd need to upgrade my track system to digital?

3) is it possible to digitally control my switches, and turntable, or would I need to still use the old analogue control boxes?

4) Further down the road, would it be possible to install signals that the individual trains would actually adhere to so the trains can run autonomously? Or would they just be for "show"?

I've gotten more confused by my research, and I can't figure out if some of the stuff is outdated, or if there are different standards. If there are different standards, I'd obviously need to settle on one standard, and convert all to that standard.

I wouldn't say that money isn't an issue, but by the same token I want to set up a system that I can enjoy with my two boys for years to come.

I don´t know where you do live,but here is two most favorite danish trainshop,which you can get some help with lot of digital information.
They are both expert of Märklin´s digital:
www.togcenter.dk
www.kystbanen.dk
If you visit them,you will be pleasant customer. BigGrin
Remember...it´s not only Märklin who produce trains for the 3 rail.
There are other competitors too to check after.
Good luck!

P.S.
Attention about mfx and mfx+ decoder...they are not always good product!
It´s made in China.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline kiwiAlan  
#9 Posted : 02 January 2015 18:24:55(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post

P.S.
It´s made in China.

Do you have a reference that states that ? Confused

Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 02 January 2015 21:22:45(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   

P.S.
It´s made in China.

Don't pay any attention. It's just part of his plan to put everyone off Märklin.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#11 Posted : 02 January 2015 22:01:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

P.S.
It´s made in China.

Don't pay any attention. It's just part of his plan to put everyone off Märklin.

In some ways I did consider it a rhetorical question.

Besides which, China is one of the places to get some of the most reliable electronics hardware. Flapper
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 03 January 2015 11:19:27(UTC)
Goofy

P.S.
It´s made in China.

Mfx produce in China.
ESU produce in USA.
I did read that in ESU and stummis forum.
If i have wrong about mfx doesn´t produce in China,then in case what do you know yourself?

H0
Offline Goofy  
#13 Posted : 03 January 2015 11:22:09(UTC)
Goofy

Besides which, China is one of the places to get some of the most reliable electronics hardware. Flapper

No it does not!
It do Japan.

Flapper

H0
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 03 January 2015 11:27:49(UTC)
H0

Mfx produce in China.
ESU produce in USA.
I did read that in ESU and stummis forum.
If i have wrong about mfx doesn´t produce in China,then in case what do you know yourself?
I read on Stummi's Forum that Märklin's current decoders were assembled in Germany.
And I think I read somewhere that ESU's decoder were assembled in China.

No proofs anyway, so I treat this all as rumours.

The components are made all over the world anyway, so it doesn't matter much where they are assembled.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Goofy  
#15 Posted : 03 January 2015 11:32:55(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
I read on Stummi's Forum that Märklin's current decoders were assembled in Germany.
And I think I read somewhere that ESU's decoder were assembled in China.

The components are made all over the world anyway, so it doesn't matter much where they are assembled.

No it´s verfied that ESU do produce in USA.
It stand so in the ESU forum.
Mfx made in Germany?
And you hate mfx decoder and prefer ESU instead...
Very interested... Wink

H0
Offline H0  
#16 Posted : 03 January 2015 12:03:28(UTC)
H0

US citizens buying their decoders from official importers will see "Made in ..." stickers on the boxes and/or the products. Getting some feedback from them will be better than speculation.

I just read on the ESU forum that ESU Loksound Select decoders are marked as "Made in China". I didn't see references about "Made in USA" - must have missed those.

In my youth I saw "Made in Japan" or "Made in Germany" on high quality products and "Made in Hong Kong" on low quality products.
Nowadays it's mostly "Made in China" and quality varies.
"Made in China" is not (always) a bad sign.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Purellum  
#17 Posted : 04 January 2015 19:09:50(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

I would really like to see a link or some kind of verification that ESU is produced in USA; or just a link to the ESU forum to see who is writing it there.

A lot of companies use the name ESU; but the one we are talking about, the manufacturer of locomotive decoders, have it's decoders made in China.

At least that is what they write on the boxes:

ESU

One more time for Goofy:

esu

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline Webmaster  
#18 Posted : 04 January 2015 20:08:31(UTC)
Webmaster

Almost all electronics assembly is in China nowadays, and there's nothing wrong with that technically since there are a lot of assembly factories ever since the computer & mobile phone industry moved production there in the 80's. China is a huge assembly industry country for almost everything we buy in the shops today.

However, this is off-topic so I would like to add the following to the original question:

- M-track works fine with digital, many members are doing this. The track is only an "electrical wire" for voltage & overlaid digital signals.
- Choice of a fully featured digital controller is mainly between M CS2 or the ESU Ecos - If you want to be Märklin "compliant".
- You can run NMRA DCC also with M locos, it's all in the electronics of the controller and the loco decoder. You are not restrained to use M products.
- You should rebuild your the motors to DC motors with kits from M and then use a loco decoder of choice.
- Old electromagnetic accessories as turnouts, signals and such can also be controlled by dedicated decoders - M or DCC, it's the "same" basically.
- You can also use computers (with CS & Ecos and more) to control your trains since there is software around to do this.

In short, the possibilities are endless and the imagination is the limit... Smile
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline Goofy  
#19 Posted : 05 January 2015 09:30:07(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Purellum Go to Quoted Post
Cool

I would really like to see a link or some kind of verification that ESU is produced in USA; or just a link to the ESU forum to see who is writing it there.

A lot of companies use the name ESU; but the one we are talking about, the manufacturer of locomotive decoders, have it's decoders made in China.

At least that is what they write on the boxes:

ESU

One more time for Goofy:

esu

Per.

Cool

Interested...
I cannot see what version decoder has.
Is it old version or version 4?
In the ESU forum did a member wrote,that decoder for H0 scale do produce in USA,while decoder for the big scale are produce in China.

H0
Offline Goofy  
#20 Posted : 05 January 2015 09:33:13(UTC)
Goofy

Hi,

I recommend you first try with ESU decoder.
Take an first step by use MS2 as start for the layout.
Turnouts and signals can been control analog,while you use locomotives digital control.

H0
Offline Purellum  
#21 Posted : 05 January 2015 09:45:00(UTC)
Purellum

Denmark   
Cool

Quote:
Interested...
I cannot see what version decoder has.
Is it old version or version 4?
In the ESU forum did a member wrote,that decoder for H0 scale do produce in USA,while decoder for the big scale are produce in China.

It's a Loksound V4 H0 decoder.

ESU has no manufacturing done in USA, there is another factory called ESU, which has nothing to do with our hobby:

http://www.esuinc.com/

Please provide a link to where you read otherwise in the ESU-forum.

Per.

Cool
If you can dream it, you can do it!

I, the copyright holder of this work, hereby release it into the public domain. This applies worldwide.

In case this is not legally possible:
I grant anyone the right to use this work for any purpose, without any conditions, unless such conditions are required by law.

UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Purellum
Offline amartinezv  
#22 Posted : 07 January 2015 12:01:39(UTC)
amartinezv

Spain   
Hello

Cargodog, you have received a lot of right answers, I'd like only to add, tha I have M track in my layout, including some turnouts and signals and work very well, the only problem with the M track and digital is to do detection tracks to use with PC control, but nothing more.

In my web site
www.davidruso.es
I have a lot of info about digital, is is in spanish but you can translate very easily with google, and if you don't understand something I will help you, no problem. Digital is easy, you only need some knowledge...

Best regards
Antonio Martínez
marklin, IB, era 3, Train controller
www.raildigital.es/davidruso
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by amartinezv