Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline db ice3  
#1 Posted : 25 December 2014 09:13:33(UTC)
db ice3

hello everyone

( im fairly new to marklin so apologies for my ignorance and many questions as i try to learn about it )

im reading about points/switches and electric control of them.

theres a viessman motor with a built in decoder - 4554 which seems to need the case filing to make it fit some marklin points.

theres another viessman motor 4558 - i dont know anything about this - could someone explain?

then theres the marklin point motor - in 2 versions both with built in motor and some with and some without dcc decoder.

this is all very confusing.

iv read one review ( and i can see where the guy is coming from ) - he likes to have separate motor and a points decoder in case 1 part fails then you dont need to replace an entire motor-decoder unit, just the failed part.

i have 6 points so far and id like to equip them with motors and control them from my central station.

what do you experienced users recommend?

many thanks and kind regards
Offline Drongo  
#2 Posted : 25 December 2014 11:05:51(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: db ice3 Go to Quoted Post
hello everyone

( im fairly new to marklin so apologies for my ignorance and many questions as i try to learn about it )

im reading about points/switches and electric control of them.

theres a viessman motor with a built in decoder - 4554 which seems to need the case filing to make it fit some marklin points.

theres another viessman motor 4558 - i dont know anything about this - could someone explain?

then theres the marklin point motor - in 2 versions both with built in motor and some with and some without dcc decoder.

this is all very confusing.

iv read one review ( and i can see where the guy is coming from ) - he likes to have separate motor and a points decoder in case 1 part fails then you dont need to replace an entire motor-decoder unit, just the failed part.

i have 6 points so far and id like to equip them with motors and control them from my central station.

what do you experienced users recommend?

many thanks and kind regards

Hi Jay and welcome to the forum. There are plenty of members who can give some very good advise as I've discovered.

IMHO the best way to motorise your points is to use the Viessmann products. Although they are "an all in one" unit, i.e. they have the motor and the decoder, I've found them to be more reliable. If yo look through the forum there are a few threads dealing with this topic. The Marklin motor, to me, is just not reliable enough. I have over 100 points with Marklin motors and I'd say about 20% fail. Therefore, I'm slowly changing them to the Viessmann product. The only problem with the Viessmann 4558 is that the decoder will not sit neatly under C track turnouts - fortunately for me, my layout is sitting on 38mmthick foam, so I can gouge out some foam to house the decoder. The 4558 is cheaper than the 4554, however, the 4558 is designed for C track - even though the decoder won't fit properly under the turnout. The programming of the Viessmann units is a bit more difficult than the Marklin, but you get the hang of it after awhile. My preference is the Viessmann and note that this is just my opinion.
Regards
Greg

Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!