Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Rocca  
#1 Posted : 24 December 2014 09:47:18(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Dear friends,

Unfortunately it happened that this old Trafo fallen down on the floor. Despite this, it seems continue working properly and the red light on the top too, but it seems it is making some more noise just when it is plugged. I can't remember if it was doing the same noise before the falling, but I wish I could know if, in your experience, it may be any trouble.
Have you any advice?
By the way, I wish you all a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

Stefano Rocca
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 24 December 2014 10:30:24(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
This was discussed just recently that old transformers should be replaced period. Hate to see something happen to you or to your set, think of it as cheap insurance.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by SteamNut
Offline Renato  
#3 Posted : 24 December 2014 10:45:56(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Stefano,

The noise of a transformer is normal, as the 50 Hz frequency of main supply vibrate the magnetic little plates of which the magnetic core is formed.

In very cheap transformer the noise could be almost loud, if the plates are not very well pressed and fixed.

Maybe after the fall, in your transformer the plates moved a little and now the transformer is a bit louder than before.

The noise is only a disturbing thing: most important is to check there are not damages such as wires not insulated in contact with the metal case of the transformer.

Also important is to check that there are not moving parts which could cause short circuits inside.

My suggestion is that the metallic case of the transformer is connected to earth and have it checked by a professional electrician.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline RayF  
#4 Posted : 24 December 2014 12:47:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Happy Christmas to you, Stefano!

As stated above, at least get it checked professionally. These older transformers were not built for safety and there could be significant risk of electric shock or damage to your trains.

New 6647 transformers from starter sets are availble very cheaply on ebay and have the added bonus of not frying your digital decoders.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kiwiAlan  
#5 Posted : 24 December 2014 15:01:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

As stated above, at least get it checked professionally. These older transformers were not built for safety ...

I don't believe that.

Certainly the later 280A transformers (the ones with only 3 sockets) carried the 'double insulated' symbol. I think the older ones with the six sockets also did. The 10VA transformers also had the 'double insulated' symbol IIRC. I'll have to check the 10VA one I have to be certain.

The big problem with them was the power cord used, which does perish and needs replacing with a modern cord.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Rocca  
#6 Posted : 26 December 2014 21:22:14(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
Hi Renato,

Thank you so much for your advices. No there aren't any wires not insulated in contact with the metal case of the transformer. Anyway, I'll get it checked. I know about the replacement Märklin campaign for the new ones 6647, but I need this old ones in my layout in which I run only old loco, as old cranes and everything else vintage....lol!! I adore it

Beest regards
Stefano

Originally Posted by: Renato Go to Quoted Post
Hi Stefano,

The noise of a transformer is normal, as the 50 Hz frequency of main supply vibrate the magnetic little plates of which the magnetic core is formed.

In very cheap transformer the noise could be almost loud, if the plates are not very well pressed and fixed.

Maybe after the fall, in your transformer the plates moved a little and now the transformer is a bit louder than before.

The noise is only a disturbing thing: most important is to check there are not damages such as wires not insulated in contact with the metal case of the transformer.

Also important is to check that there are not moving parts which could cause short circuits inside.

My suggestion is that the metallic case of the transformer is connected to earth and have it checked by a professional electrician.

Cheers

Renato

Offline Rocca  
#7 Posted : 26 December 2014 21:24:13(UTC)
Rocca

Italy   
thanks...Merry Christmas back to you too!!

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

As stated above, at least get it checked professionally. These older transformers were not built for safety and there could be significant risk of electric shock or damage to your trains.

New 6647 transformers from starter sets are availble very cheaply on ebay and have the added bonus of not frying your digital decoders.