Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline marklin-ho  
#1 Posted : 15 December 2014 01:23:42(UTC)
marklin-ho

Canada   
I have an old SBB-CFF AE 6/6 from Marklin (3050) the motor seam to be working, but the direction control is shut.

I like to digital it, what is the ideal Marklin Kit that i need for that. This is my 1st restoration project

What do i need for this project.
Confused

Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2014 03:01:22(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The conversion kit from Maerklin for the 3050 was 60944. You will also need a Maerklin decoder or similar (ESU, Zimo, etc). Maerklin earlier had a digital kit under the number 60904 which included a Motorola decoder with address switches, but the current standards use decoders that can be remotely programmed, so this was replaced by the 60944.

If you Google Maerklin Digital Umbau 3050 or Maerklin Digitalumbau 3050 you will find a number of sites that describe the conversion and show images

This site may have some useful information: http://www.ajckids.com/TRAINS/MAIN.ASP?nr=92

If you would like to have it done professionally, check with your dealer to see if they do conversions.
http://www.helmutshobbie.../digital_conversions.htm

In Canada, you can check with Randy at John's Photo (roco-trains.ca), Mike at Westendtrains (westendtrains.com), both in Toronto or Mr Menzel at ERH (eurorailhobbies.com) in BC.

You may also likely have to replace the existing bulbs with ones that can operate at the higher constant voltage of digital operation as well as that can be connected to the decoder without using the loco shell for ground.

Regards

Mike C
Offline marklin-ho  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2014 03:59:28(UTC)
marklin-ho

Canada   
Thank you
Offline HansModlich  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2019 00:33:29(UTC)
HansModlich

Canada   
Originally Posted by: marklin-ho Go to Quoted Post
I have an old SBB-CFF AE 6/6 from Marklin (3050) the motor seam to be working, but the direction control is shut.

I like to digital it, what is the ideal Marklin Kit that i need for that. This is my 1st restoration project

What do i need for this project.
Confused

If you still have that problem and (3050 loco) -- or better still if you have solved it -- then I am in a similar situation today ie 5 years later in in East Flapper Central Toronto and will have a spare directional control if you want to go back to Analog. I have just today converted to digital with a NEM 652 controller for which i dont have a manual or even Mfg name. It worked for 5 minutes then pffft.
Offline mike c  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2019 05:41:18(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
If you have an ESU Lokprogrammer or other, you can read the decoder and find out what model it is and who made it.

Regards

Mike C
Offline HansModlich  
#6 Posted : 12 December 2019 20:47:46(UTC)
HansModlich

Canada   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
The conversion kit from Maerklin for the 3050 was 60944. You will also need a Maerklin decoder or similar (ESU, Zimo, etc). Maerklin earlier had a digital kit under the number 60904 which included a Motorola decoder with address switches, but the current standards use decoders that can be remotely programmed, so this was replaced by the 60944.

If you Google Maerklin Digital Umbau 3050 or Maerklin Digitalumbau 3050 you will find a number of sites that describe the conversion and show images

This site may have some useful information: http://www.ajckids.com/TRAINS/MAIN.ASP?nr=92

If you would like to have it done professionally, check with your dealer to see if they do conversions.
http://www.helmutshobbie.../digital_conversions.htm

In Canada, you can check with Randy at John's Photo (roco-trains.ca), Mike at Westendtrains (westendtrains.com), both in Toronto or Mr Menzel at ERH (eurorailhobbies.com) in BC.

You may also likely have to replace the existing bulbs with ones that can operate at the higher constant voltage of digital operation as well as that can be connected to the decoder without using the loco shell for ground.

Regards

Mike C

Thanx Mike C,

Yes Mike Sorge of Westend trains pointed out to me that M now as an ALLSTROM Decoder 60906 that also supports the wound AC stator - so that the motor need not be taken apart. Have not heard back from other retailer in TO. Meanwhile have restored the original Analog operation. remarkable how ell the beasty still runs after 45 years -- and I bot it used in Stuttgart.Love
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#7 Posted : 12 December 2019 23:24:21(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
The conversion kit from Maerklin for the 3050 was 60944.

Keep in mind that this is the conversion kit for a Large Flat Commuter Motor (LFCM). The LFCM kits have 2 armatures, one with 7 teeth and the other with 8 teeth. You need to use the correct one, and I forget right now which one I used for converting my 3050. Make sure you count the number of teeth on the existing armature you pull out of the motor.
Offline river6109  
#8 Posted : 13 December 2019 00:09:58(UTC)
river6109

Australia   
Location: On 1965 Märklin Boulevard just around from Roco Square
Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
The conversion kit from Maerklin for the 3050 was 60944.

Keep in mind that this is the conversion kit for a Large Flat Commuter Motor (LFCM). The LFCM kits have 2 armatures, one with 7 teeth and the other with 8 teeth. You need to use the correct one, and I forget right now which one I used for converting my 3050. Make sure you count the number of teeth on the existing armature you pull out of the motor.

you need the armature with 8 teeth

https://www.youtube.com/river6109
https://www.youtube.com/6109river
5 years in Destruction mode
50 years in Repairing mode