Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gharris198  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2014 20:46:10(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
I'm totally lost. Loco isn't recognized on programming track and the majority of instructions included with the loco are in German and pertain the maintenance of the loco. Can anyone help me with registering this loco?
Offline GDJTrain65  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2014 21:23:56(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: gharris198 Go to Quoted Post
I'm totally lost. Loco isn't recognized on programming track and the majority of instructions included with the loco are in German and pertain the maintenance of the loco. Can anyone help me with registering this loco?

Guess you know this, but try register it with adress 3, the factory setting. If the loco is used, the former owner may has changed it to another adress. In that case, remove the loco body and check the decoder adress.
When I register non-Märklin locos, I usually let my MS2 or CS60215 find it by using the "erkennen/find" function. But sometimes I have to, for some reason, update the railbox ( to MS2) or unplug the system and restart/reboot it.
Offline gharris198  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2014 22:47:38(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
Apparently I already have another loco with the address of 3. And the Brawa appears to be set to 3 as well from what I can make out in the instructions that came with it. They indicate where the decoder is in the tender but not how to change the address to something unique.
Offline PMPeter  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2014 23:08:20(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Not sue what decoder is in your Brawa, however, for my Brawa I had to change the protocol to DCC for the CS2 to control it. Once you can control it on the programming track you should be able to change the address.

Peter
Offline GDJTrain65  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2014 00:05:15(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   
Apparently I already have another loco with the address of 3. And the Brawa appears to be set to 3 as well from what I can make out in the instructions that came with it. They indicate where the decoder is in the tender but not how to change the address to something unique.

Not sure it has something to do with your problem here, but since almost all ( if not all) non-Märklin locos have 3 ( or 03) as factory setting, you should always give it another address ( using your MS2 or CS) the first thing you do after added it. Otherwise you will have several locos with the same address and it will probably be a hard time to sort them out, sooner or later.
If this loco is brand new, you dont have to remove the loco body and check the decoder address. Once you control it, you change the address the same way as you do with Märklin locos, with your MS2 or CS.
I usually enter my Brawa locos in MM but as PMPeter stated above, you could try to register in DCC mode. I use DCC when I register locos from Piko, among others, maybe its the same thing here.

Really great loco, by the way. Wonderful.
Offline gharris198  
#6 Posted : 15 December 2014 01:31:57(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
Have tried bringing this into CS2 using DCC on address 3, the factory setting. For a few moments, the loco responds on the programming track, but the lights flicker and the sound is erratic. Shortly after, it quits respondng altogether. Am I missing something?
Offline Robert Davies  
#7 Posted : 15 December 2014 01:58:09(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
I see from the instructions that this loco is fitted with a Premium Digital Decoder part no 5049. I can't find the instructions (or anything else for that matter) for a 5049 decoder, but the previous "Premium Digital Decoder" was part 9750 and you can find its instructions here https://www.eurorailhobbies.com/pdf/Brawa_9750.pdf.

The 9750 decoder is made by ESU so you may also find some information on their site, but Brawa also have used Uhlenbrock decoders, so that may be worth a look as well.

Hope this helps.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 15 December 2014 07:57:59(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Have tried bringing this into CS2 using DCC on address 3, the factory setting. For a few moments, the loco responds on the programming track, but the lights flicker and the sound is erratic. [...] Am I missing something?
That's what you get if you have an MM loco with address 3 and a DCC loco with address 3. Assign a unique address to the Brawa loco.
The CS 2 has "complete DCC functionality" and supports addresses from 1 through 9999.
The MS 2 has more complete DCC functionality and supports all addresses (1 through 10239).
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline gharris198  
#9 Posted : 15 December 2014 13:22:06(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
Tom,

How can I assign a different address for the Brawa through the CS2? I was thinking i would first have to bring it in somehow. Can you walk me through this?

Thanks!
Offline H0  
#10 Posted : 15 December 2014 14:19:08(UTC)
H0

You have to register a DCC loco with address 3 (maybe you already have that as you wrote you had it running). Then on the loco properties screen, change the address while the new loco is the only loco on the programming track and press "Apply" (IIRC this is a button with a loco and an arrow pointing towards the loco). That should be all.
Then the loco should run with its new, unique address - without flashing lights and without distorted sound.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline gharris198  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2014 14:27:36(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
Thanks Tom - I'll try it this afternoon and let you know. I appreciate everyone's input here.
Offline Goofy  
#12 Posted : 15 December 2014 17:21:56(UTC)
Goofy

If you can´t find the adress...try to reset decoder at CV8.
To do this,i suggest with DCC protocol.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline PMPeter  
#13 Posted : 15 December 2014 17:28:27(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
The key is the DCC protocol. I had the same issue with my Brawa locomotive when I switched from 6021 to CS2 control. However, once I put the Brawa on the programming track and set up the DCC protocol and the various CV parameters as per the Brawa instructions and saved it with the CS2, the loco performs perfectly.

Originally I tried reading the loco CVs on the programming track and I got no where, so the above approach worked for me.

Peter
Offline gharris198  
#14 Posted : 15 December 2014 17:59:20(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
But am I correct in thinking that I need to initially register the Brawa with the address of 3 (in DCC) even though I have a Märklin loco with that address already?
I can then change the address to something much higher through the properties page, and then program the 12 or so sound/smoke functions and save it to that loco with the new address. Does that sound right?
Offline PMPeter  
#15 Posted : 15 December 2014 18:17:07(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I believe you have already proven that if you place that loco on the programming track with address 03 you get it to function erratically.

So as long as it is the only loco on your programming track you should be able to set the address to what you want under DCC protocol and save it to the locomotive from the CS2.

If you are reluctant to do that, take your "M" 03 locomotive off of the tracks and test run your Brawa with address 03 and DCC protocol on your layout just to confirm that it operates properly without a second 03 on the track. If that works, then place it back on the programming track and change and save the new address to the loco.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#16 Posted : 15 December 2014 18:25:59(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
But am I correct in thinking that I need to initially register the Brawa with the address of 3 (in DCC) even though I have a Märklin loco with that address already?
I can then change the address to something much higher through the properties page, and then program the 12 or so sound/smoke functions and save it to that loco with the new address. Does that sound right?

This should be alright provided you take the marklin loco with address 3 off the track, wherever it is on the layout. The short answer is that it is very unwise to have two locos at the same address even if they are different protocols (marklin and DCC) as the control unit doesn't know which one it should be addressing.

So remove the Br03 (I assume this is what has address 3) from the layout temporarily, then put the Brawa one on the programming track.

Offline gharris198  
#17 Posted : 15 December 2014 18:40:40(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
Thanks all - I will let you know how it turns out later today.
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 15 December 2014 18:52:11(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
If you are reluctant to do that, take your "M" 03 locomotive off of the tracks and test run your Brawa with address 03 and DCC protocol on your layout just to confirm that it operates properly without a second 03 on the track. If that works, then place it back on the programming track and change and save the new address to the loco.
It's not the other loco with address 3 on the track that is causing problems. The problem is the other loco with address 3 in the CS2 loco list - and the fact that the ESU decoder responds to MM 3 and DCC 3 with one address saying "Lights on" and the other saying "Lights off". Taking the M03 loco from the track won't make a difference, lights will continue to flash.

I believe you have already proven that if you place that loco on the programming track with address 03 you get it to function erratically.
Yep. So 3 is the correct address and a reset via CV 8 should not be necessary.
Register it with address 3, change the address to make it unique - and that's all.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline PMPeter  
#19 Posted : 15 December 2014 20:27:03(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Totally understood and agree. However, taking the other "M 03" off the track will allow him to at least see if he has control of the Brawa (erratically most likely) without having 2 locomotives on the layout behaving badly.

Just want to give him some peace of mind that the CS2 recognizes and can control the Brawa and he can go ahead and change the address to a unique address.

Peter
Offline H0  
#20 Posted : 15 December 2014 20:58:15(UTC)
H0

However, taking the other "M 03" off the track will allow him to at least see if he has control of the Brawa (erratically most likely) without having 2 locomotives on the layout behaving badly.
Why should the M 03 loco behave badly? Most likely it will work as usual.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline PMPeter  
#21 Posted : 15 December 2014 21:20:22(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Tom - the question here is not to debate how 2 locomotives having the same address (1 MM and 1 DCC) will react when a CS2 command is given. Even you use the words "Most likely it will work as usual". I think we have all seen strange and unexpected reactions if you ever have 2 locomotives on the layout with the same address.

My suggestion is purely to take the "M 03" off the track and concentrate on the Brawa and see if he has control. It just eliminates a distraction of a second locomotive doing something - normal or otherwise.

Cheers
Peter
Offline gharris198  
#22 Posted : 15 December 2014 22:37:51(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
So I registered the Loco as 3, then changed the address randomly 701, and sent that to the Loco. However the message on the panel said that the settings were not transferred to the loco. I tried using a different address number, with the same results.
Offline PMPeter  
#23 Posted : 15 December 2014 23:00:37(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Any chance of posting a screenshot of your CS2 locomotive configuration page?

Peter
Offline gharris198  
#24 Posted : 15 December 2014 23:14:52(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
I should point out that when I registered it with the address of 3, after first taking the other 3 loco off the layout track and then adding this one, it performed fairly well going around my actual layout, until it got to one part where it reset my entire system.

I took a picture of my screen but seem unable to add it here. Pressing the photo icon above asks me for a link to an image.

Sorry, I'm usually not this stupid.
gharris198 attached the following image(s):
image.jpg
Offline PMPeter  
#25 Posted : 15 December 2014 23:43:07(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Uploading photos to the site can be challenging and you need some type of Public sharing such as a Dropbox or similar program in order to get the link. Nothing to do with being stupid.

Just out of curiosity when you ran the locomotive was it still in programming mode? Is your programming track part of your layout and have you isolated it properly from the rest of your layout or is it a stand-alone piece of track?

Not sure what you mean by it reset your whole system. It sounds like a dead short circuit which in my case restarts the CS2 and that is the reason for my previous question about the programming track.

Peter
Offline gharris198  
#26 Posted : 15 December 2014 23:48:02(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
I posted a picture on my previous post. The brawa was programmed on a separate piece of programming track. Then I transferred it to the layout to test run it on address 3.
Offline PMPeter  
#27 Posted : 15 December 2014 23:59:03(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Have you tried keeping it at address 3 and changing one of the other values on the right hand side and saving that change to the locomotive on the programming track?

If that doesn't work then there is something else going on with the communications to the decoder.

Peter
Offline gharris198  
#28 Posted : 16 December 2014 00:01:33(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
It tells me "the transfer of the settings into the locomotive was not successful"
Offline PMPeter  
#29 Posted : 16 December 2014 00:13:54(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
That's what I was afraid you were going to say. Perhaps DCC is not the correct protocol and you may have to open up the locomotive to see what decoder you actually have or wait for someone else to give you a suggestion.

The only final suggestion I have is to reboot the CS2 and try again. I do that whenever I have a communication problem with the CS2 and a locomotive or with my PC and 9 out of 10 times the reboot clears the problem.

Sorry
Peter
Offline gharris198  
#30 Posted : 16 December 2014 01:40:47(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
As I wrote, the loco seems to run fine on the layout when running as DCC address 3 with the Märklin "3" off the track. The problem is trying to save a different DCC address to the Brawa loco in the programming track. When I do that - regardless of what address I choose - the layout track clicks a few times and then I get the error message I described above.
Offline PMPeter  
#31 Posted : 16 December 2014 01:52:29(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
A totally off the wall question - Have you used the programming track successfully before? I'm wondering if you have a red/brown polarity issue in that track.

I know I'm grasping here, but I realize how frustrating something like this can be.
Offline PMPeter  
#32 Posted : 16 December 2014 02:00:06(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Another thought - have you considered changing the address of the M loco to something other than 3?
Offline gharris198  
#33 Posted : 16 December 2014 02:18:35(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
I've not used that track before, however, in the course of messing with this unit, I trashed the M3 from the CS2 and let it register itself on this track with no problem.

If I were to change the address of the M3, would I keep the default decoder type that's already in the registration and, if so, is here an address i can safely change I to?
Offline gharris198  
#34 Posted : 16 December 2014 03:36:34(UTC)
gharris198

United States   
Problem solved. Apparently the connector for the programming track at the transformer end had nearly worked itself out of the transformer. Once I clicked it back in place, I was able to register the Brawa using DCC 3 and then change and save it to DCC 791 or some such number with no problem. The loco is supposed to be already equipped with a smoke generator though nothing in the Brawa instructions speaks of how to control that. Not important right now, at least it runs. Thanks all for your input. I'd not have worked this out on my own.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by gharris198
Offline PMPeter  
#35 Posted : 16 December 2014 04:10:56(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
Glad it finally worked out.

Cheers
Peter
Offline GDJTrain65  
#36 Posted : 16 December 2014 19:40:00(UTC)
GDJTrain65

Sweden   
Really glad you solved the problem.

There should be a function symbol for the smoke generator on the screen of your CS60215, but its possible that it is "hidden". ( even if thats very rare with CS2, more often with MS2).
Offline Webmaster  
#37 Posted : 16 December 2014 19:57:39(UTC)
Webmaster

Quote:
Apparently the connector for the programming track at the transformer end had nearly worked itself out of the transformer. Once I clicked it back in place, I was able to register...

This is rather common, you try and try and then finally find out that it is a simple electric connection that is not right...
Been there & done that myself several times.... Blushing BigGrin
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]