Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sapa  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2014 14:44:52(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
Hello!

I am completely new to this hobby (and electronics in general). Therefore I am experiencing a bit of frustration when I'm trying to start up my newly acquired Märklin Z set. I have many questions but the first obstacle experienced is causing me a lot of trouble, I simply don't get how to connect this stuff.

Here is a picture to show You what my problem is. Can someone please help me how to connect this. I am sorry for probably asking for help to a very banal and easy "problem".

UserPostedImage

Big thanks in advance! I am so eager to start this hobby.
Offline SteamNut  
#2 Posted : 14 December 2014 15:12:35(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Welcome to the form where there is no dumb question. I do not have the same transformer for my HO set but try pushing in the connectors on the transformer. You will see that they spring back and forth. Next take a screwdriver and disconnect the "banana" plugs from your wires and put the wirers into the connectors matching the colors on your wires. Push in the connector first before you do this and make sure there is a bare wire showing as the insulation from the wire will not make a proper connection. The colors correspond as such: Brown earth (Ground) Yellow constant voltage as for lights and Red variable voltage to run loks - Fred
Offline sapa  
#3 Posted : 14 December 2014 15:18:25(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
Welcome to the form where there is no dumb question. I do not have the same transformer for my HO set but try pushing in the connectors on the transformer. You will see that they spring back and forth. Next take a screwdriver and disconnect the "banana" plugs from your wires and put the wirers into the connectors matching the colors on your wires. Push in the connector first before you do this and make sure there is a bare wire showing as the insulation from the wire will not make a proper connection. The colors correspond as such: Brown earth (Ground) Yellow constant voltage as for lights and Red variable voltage to run loks - Fred

Thank you so so much. The "banana"plugs were my concern. The conclusion is that i don't need them. I don't understand why they were there at all.

Now to my second question (since You're so helpful, i appreciate it a lot);

How do i connect this and make it work?

UserPostedImage
Offline franciscohg  
#4 Posted : 14 December 2014 15:48:11(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, welcome to the forum.
To connect your turnout, or any other double solenoid accesory, you have to connect the yellow cable to the yellow plug plug og your transfromer, that will bring power the solenoid.
Then the blue cables to a red and green sockect to the buttoneer, here you will find use to the banana plug.
Then the side connectors to the brown socket of your transformer, just one, the other is for connection of more buttoneers..
When you push a button that will close the circuit and make the solenoid work.
Regards
Francisco
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
Offline sapa  
#5 Posted : 14 December 2014 16:38:05(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: franciscohg Go to Quoted Post
To connect your turnout, or any other double solenoid accesory, you have to connect the yellow cable to the yellow plug plug og your transfromer, that will bring power the solenoid.
Then the blue cables to a red and green sockect to the buttoneer, here you will find use to the banana plug.
Then the side connectors to the brown socket of your transformer, just one, the other is for connection of more buttoneers..
Regards
Francisco

Thank you so much. I will try this after i get the train running. It is now connected without turnouts. I can feel something is happening, the lights are turned on but it does barely move. Anyone know what may be the problem?

Thanks in advance
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 14 December 2014 16:57:53(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sapa Go to Quoted Post
Regards
Francisco

Thank you so much. I will try this after i get the train running. It is now connected without turnouts. I can feel something is happening, the lights are turned on but it does barely move. Anyone know what may be the problem?

Thanks in advance

If it is old and not been used for a while the oil in the motor hardens and goes almost rock solid, stopping the motor from rotating. You may need to take the body off the loco and put a drop of something in the motor bearings to clean it out, then put a drop of light oil in to lubricate it. Be very sparing with the oil, otherwise it gets on the motor brushes and they go horrible.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline sapa  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2014 18:39:36(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Regards
Francisco

Thanks in advance

If it is old and not been used for a while the oil in the motor hardens and goes almost rock solid, stopping the motor from rotating. You may need to take the body off the loco and put a drop of something in the motor bearings to clean it out, then put a drop of light oil in to lubricate it. Be very sparing with the oil, otherwise it gets on the motor brushes and they go horrible.

Thank you very much. It turned out i was too enthusiastic, after some pushes and cleaning of the tracks it goes like a dream. I will post some videos and eventually when I'm finished with a layout that will be posted too. Right now i'm curious to see if i can handle to install the turnouts, will try later and get back to you guys if i encounter any obstacles.

You are very nice, all of you for your kind willingness to help.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by sapa
Offline sapa  
#8 Posted : 14 December 2014 21:31:38(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
wrong post
Offline sapa  
#9 Posted : 14 December 2014 21:34:11(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
Regards
Francisco

Thanks in advance

Hello again,

I Understand everything up until "Then the side connectors to the brown socket of your transformer". The thing is that the brown socket is already in use by the other track..

What am i not grasping?

Thanks in advance, really eager to set this up tonight!!!

So this is what i have, how do i make sense of it?

UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#10 Posted : 14 December 2014 22:03:56(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Let's see if I can help. The red is the plus connection for the track. The brown is the minus connection for the track. The yellow is the constant voltage for accessories and the grey is the minus/return for the accessories.

http://www.guidetozscale.com/html/electrical.html

Connect the yellow wires to a hub and connect the hub to the yellow output at the rear of the transformer
Connect the grey terminal with a wire to the female connection of the blue switch box using one of the plugs. Connect the wires from the switch tracks to a matching pair of female connectors (top/bottom) of the blue switch box. Since there are no plugs on the ends of the cables, you will have to test which one to connect to which. Normally, the switch would be set to straight when the green button had been pressed and to switch when the red is depressed.

http://www.online-minicl...s/a_weichenschaltung.gif

You may need to purchase a roll of brown, red, yellow and grey wires if you need additional lengths. You may also need to purchase a connection box (hub) #7069, 7209, 72090 or equivalent to connect multiple accessories to the yellow terminal on the transformer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...condition-/131284590594?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...ne-Stecker-/201239468716

I hope that this is of use.

Regards

Mike C
Offline sapa  
#11 Posted : 15 December 2014 09:08:59(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
Let's see if I can help. The red is the plus connection for the track. The brown is the minus connection for the track. The yellow is the constant voltage for accessories and the grey is the minus/return for the accessories.

http://www.guidetozscale.com/html/electrical.html

Connect the yellow wires to a hub and connect the hub to the yellow output at the rear of the transformer
Connect the grey terminal with a wire to the female connection of the blue switch box using one of the plugs. Connect the wires from the switch tracks to a matching pair of female connectors (top/bottom) of the blue switch box. Since there are no plugs on the ends of the cables, you will have to test which one to connect to which. Normally, the switch would be set to straight when the green button had been pressed and to switch when the red is depressed.

http://www.online-minicl...s/a_weichenschaltung.gif

You may need to purchase a roll of brown, red, yellow and grey wires if you need additional lengths. You may also need to purchase a connection box (hub) #7069, 7209, 72090 or equivalent to connect multiple accessories to the yellow terminal on the transformer.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/...condition-/131284590594?
http://www.ebay.de/itm/M...ne-Stecker-/201239468716

I hope that this is of use.

Regards

Mike C

Thank you very much. I'll try this tonight. Can i use whatever wire i find at the store or is it some special kind of wire?

Thanks in advance
Offline SteamNut  
#12 Posted : 15 December 2014 09:52:26(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Not really but the correct colors help tracing back their path if you have to do any troubleshooting. The gauge (thickness) should be about the same in order to use your banana plugs bring a sample to the store. If you are going to a electronics store they may have a book for beginners on electricity which may help you in the future.
Offline sapa  
#13 Posted : 15 December 2014 23:19:51(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: SteamNut Go to Quoted Post
Not really but the correct colors help tracing back their path if you have to do any troubleshooting. The gauge (thickness) should be about the same in order to use your banana plugs bring a sample to the store. If you are going to a electronics store they may have a book for beginners on electricity which may help you in the future.

This is fantastic. Everything works.

I just have one more question; are the turnouts suppose to make a sound and get very hot?
Offline SteamNut  
#14 Posted : 16 December 2014 11:27:37(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
I believe in Z gauge you would hear a click sound when they are activated as with my M track turnouts which is the sound of the rails touching each other. They should not get hot which indicates they are getting constant power when they are designed for momentary (brief) power. You seem to have a old blue control box perhaps it needs to be replaced.
Offline ozzman  
#15 Posted : 16 December 2014 12:24:51(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
The sound of a Z scale turnout being thrown is more like a brief buzz, and I do mean brief - less than a second. As SteamNut has pointed out, they should NOT get hot. That indicates that power is being applied for too long and you risk burning out one or the other of the solenoids. If it were me, I'd replace that old blue switch box.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline sapa  
#16 Posted : 16 December 2014 17:05:47(UTC)
sapa

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: ozzman Go to Quoted Post
The sound of a Z scale turnout being thrown is more like a brief buzz, and I do mean brief - less than a second. As SteamNut has pointed out, they should NOT get hot. That indicates that power is being applied for too long and you risk burning out one or the other of the solenoids. If it were me, I'd replace that old blue switch box.

Thank you. Will do that.

Does it make sense to use banana plugs instead of just shoving in the blue wires?
Offline SteamNut  
#17 Posted : 16 December 2014 17:15:19(UTC)
SteamNut

United States   
Definitely yes and make sure the wires are correctly connect to the box as explained before. Have some patience and soon everything will run fine when you have the correct items to connect everything together. Perhaps that is why you have constant power to your turnouts and your blue control box is fine.