Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 14 December 2014 12:39:28(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
As from today 14th December 2014,new NS timetables for 2015 are in force.
On workingdays,each NS railwaystation will have an arrival/departure every half hour,which is good.
Currently there are over 400 NS railwaystations in Holland,and more are to follow in 2015.
NS controls some 7,000 km of track.
There are 2,600 railwaycrossings with roadtraffic.
As an average,NS carries some 1,157,000 passengers every day.
A very dense network indeed.
Must say when you are in a Dutch train on the somewhat longer stretches,such as Rotterdam to Groningen,it feels like riding on a Marklin layout with too many trains!
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline Dreadnought  
#2 Posted : 15 December 2014 15:16:02(UTC)
Dreadnought

Canada   
I thought the Dutch trains were excellent when I was there for Euro spoor. Trains were frequent, and fast. Connections can be tight, and if dragging luggage, taking an earlier train is a good idea. I loved the Koplopers, they are now on my wish list. Next visit I hope.

Stations always seemed to have friendly English speaking staff to answer questions.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Dreadnought
Offline NS1200  
#3 Posted : 15 December 2014 20:49:58(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Indeed connections can be tight,engine drivers have strict orders to obay timetable departure times so as not to disrupt traffic elsewhere in the country.
Even if you miss a train there will be another shortly,between the major cities there are usually 3 to 4 trains per hour,one intercity every half hour,and one stoppingtrain in between.
This is not unique for Holland,this summer we were on a traintrip to Switzerland,first with ICE from Utrecht to Basle,only 3 minutes there to change trains,good conditiontest!
Koploper (=Frontrunner) trains are indeed comfortable trains,usually in operation on the somewhat longer stretches,such as Rotterdam to Groningen/Leeuwarden.
It would seem they are getting more and more replaced by VIRM double deck intercity trains,also a very comfortable train.
Note that the coaches not having the on the roof cabin are basically standard NS intercity coaches.

Friendly people: affirmative,most Dutchmen,including NS staff,are very friendly,especially towards foreign people,because it gives them an opportunity to excercise their knowledge of foreign languages,mainly English.
Do not judge the book by the cover,under the ice there is a warm soul.
Nevertheless i would advise you to keep tight control over your luggage and documents,especially after nightfall,better safe than sorry.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).