Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gregzim  
#1 Posted : 12 December 2014 07:48:01(UTC)
Gregzim

Australia   
What is the best way to create full occupancy blocks in laid C track that cant be lifted other than using momentary sensors like IR and Optical side facing sensors?

I was thinking that I could cut both outside rails at the block ends and be done with it and solder a contact point to one of rail outside edges?

I was also wondering about a "continuous magnetic strip along side the track with a "pick up shoe" extended from the loco that keeps the signal live along the block?

Any ideas would be welcome tks.

Rgds

Greg
Offline pederbc  
#2 Posted : 12 December 2014 08:42:39(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi Gregzim,

I suppose one solution could be to, if possible, to cut off all 3 rails at both ends of the block and then use a current detecting device to report via S88 or similar. But I guess it will be difficult to solder a cable to the mid "rail". Current detection is normally used by two-rail systems for block detection. But current detection will need resistor wheels to detect waggons.

One thing that comes to mind is, if the block is straight and perhaps not to long, using a fotocell system along the track with the emitter on one end of the block and the fotocell on the other, one on each side of the track, so the lightbeam will croos the track in a small angle.

This can be a great topic for creative minds!

Br/Peder

Offline Danlake  
#3 Posted : 13 December 2014 06:06:34(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Greg,

I guess you can use a fine dremel cutting disc and cut an outside rail in 2 places. On this you would then solder on the wire for a S88 detection module.

Brgds - Lasse
Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
Offline pederbc  
#4 Posted : 13 December 2014 07:25:15(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi Lasse,

not a bad idea, but then you have to cut each railpiece along the block and solder a cable to each piece. The cables can of course be wired together to one S88 input.

No wait! You would of course cut off both rails in each end of the block and as a result disconnecting both rails from the track power feed. Then solder a cable to each rail and connect one side to the "0" and the other to an S88 input.

Thanks Lasse!

/Peder
Offline Gregzim  
#5 Posted : 15 December 2014 12:20:18(UTC)
Gregzim

Australia   
Hi Guys Thanks for answering. The only answers across 4 forums :)

I like the idea of cutting the outside rails at each end of the block and attaching the sensor - now the related question please - Do I need resistor wheel sets on the unpowered cars or not?

If I do - where do I find them/what are they?

If I cant get that answer - I'm all set and can use IR/LED sensors across the track for entry, braking and stop sensors to the PC (I am going to use Train Controller software.

Tks greatly

Greg
Offline pederbc  
#6 Posted : 15 December 2014 12:34:35(UTC)
pederbc

Sweden   
Hi,

No, you don't need resistor wheels! But you may have to change wheels if you have waggons for DC, like ROCO and Fleischmann. All Märklinwheels have connection between the wheels, i e there will be a "short" between the rails that the S88 unit will detect.

Try also to search for the "diode trick" that will enhance the powersupply to the lok. When you separate the rails for using an S88, normally only one rail will supply ground, which means that you'll lose the connection on one side of the lok. But by inserting a diode to the S88 connection you'll get ground also to the S88 rail. I'm not sure that I make this clear but do search and use.

Also, if you're going to use a computer based system like Win-digipet or Traincontroller the I propose that you divide each block in three sections, one track piece on each end, and the rest (mid) in one. With this you can use the mid dtection for slowing down the train and the end dtections for precise stopping.

/Peder
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by pederbc