Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 07 December 2014 16:41:27(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Whilst on a steamtrip with SSN 01 1075 from Rotterdam to Aachen and back yesterday 6th october 2014,we experienced some delay for our planned departure from Aachen,which gave us plenty opportunity to witness the all important freight traffic by rail in Germany.
Aachen serves as a borderstation for Belgium and France,as such attracting a lot of cargo by rail.
In addition,there is intensive passenger traffic with regional DB trains and also Thalys high speed traffic to Brussels and Paris.

The station itself i would call typically German,with three steel and glass overhead hoods,narrow platforms,and tight turns in and out.
There is a pretty tight central hall with two sandwich shops and a very well assorted bookshop.

Whilst our old lady 01 1075 was heaving a small mechanical problem which required some welding,it was obvious that after nightfall the freight traffic was geared up to a higher level,with heavy unit trains of seacontainers,trailers,tankcars,and automobile carrying cars passing the station with a tremendeous and impressive noise.
Possibly a station like Aachen is the best place to understand that railways are essential to keep the economy of a modern nation at a high level of development,it would be impossible to move these cargoes by road.

Apart from the station,Aachen is a nice historical city with old cathedral,plenty of shops including a well assorted modeltrainshop,and pubs and restaurants.
Worth a visit!

Here a clip i found on Youtube giving a good impression of local railtraffic.
Bahnverkehr = Railwaytraffic.
Hbf=Haubtbahnhof=Mainrailwaystation.

Paul.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline kiwiAlan  
#2 Posted : 07 December 2014 19:17:57(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Whilst on a steamtrip with SSN 01 1075 from Rotterdam to Aachen and back yesterday 6th october 2014,we experienced some delay for our planned departure from Aachen,which gave us plenty opportunity to witness the all important freight traffic by rail in Germany.
Aachen serves as a borderstation for Belgium and France,as such attracting a lot of cargo by rail.
In addition,there is intensive passenger traffic with regional DB trains and also Thalys high speed traffic to Brussels and Paris.

The station itself i would call typically German,with three steel and glass overhead hoods,narrow platforms,and tight turns in and out.
There is a pretty tight central hall with two sandwich shops and a very well assorted bookshop.

Whilst our old lady 01 1075 was heaving a small mechanical problem which required some welding,it was obvious that after nightfall the freight traffic was geared up to a higher level,with heavy unit trains of seacontainers,trailers,tankcars,and automobile carrying cars passing the station with a tremendeous and impressive noise.
Possibly a station like Aachen is the best place to understand that railways are essential to keep the economy of a modern nation at a high level of development,it would be impossible to move these cargoes by road.

Apart from the station,Aachen is a nice historical city with old cathedral,plenty of shops including a well assorted modeltrainshop,and pubs and restaurants.
Worth a visit!

Paul.

I assume you mean this shop in the market square. I have been there a couple of times and agree it is a nice shop to visit. It is also a member of the Eurotrain group, so gets the special wagons they market.

Sounds like a great trip you had. Reminds me of the return trip my wife and I did from Berlin to Hannover to celebrate the 21st anniversary of the last train through the corridor from Berlin to the West. Full length train headed by 03 1010 with a Br232 as a helper pushing to enable the 15 coach maximum length train to keep to required timetables.

Offline kimballthurlow  
#3 Posted : 08 December 2014 03:48:06(UTC)
kimballthurlow

Australia   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
..... understand that railways are essential to keep the economy of a modern nation at a high level of development, it would be impossible to move these cargoes by road.
Worth a visit!.....
Paul.

Hi Paul,
Thanks Paul for the interesting observations, and link.

As a slight aside, I was in western Europe recently, and was amazed at how railway stations are very much alive.
They are hubs of the community, with every essential for the locals, and travellers.

The attention given to customers who frequent these stations, is spot on.

regards
Kimball
HO Scale - Märklin (ep II-III and VI, C Track, digital) - 2 rail HO (Queensland Australia, UK, USA) - 3 rail OO (English Hornby Dublo) - old clockwork O gauge - Live Steam 90mm (3.1/2 inch) gauge.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kimballthurlow
Offline NS1200  
#4 Posted : 08 December 2014 07:03:42(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Here a clip of the arrival at Aachen.
The 01 1075 has a new enginenumber for the time being.
Due to a miscommunication,we arrived on the wrong track so that some reverse action was required to get us alongside the platform.
The loco is equiped with Dutch and German automatic stopping systems,and indeed when the train was put in reverse,the loco was stopped instantly!
The socalled departure as shown was to Cologne in order to turn the entire train there for the return trip to Rotterdam.
Actual departure was at night,well after sunset.

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200
Offline NS1200  
#5 Posted : 09 December 2014 06:59:00(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
More German freight,near Munster this time.
Impressive!

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by NS1200