Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Peter Neumann  
#1 Posted : 01 December 2014 04:08:22(UTC)
Peter Neumann

United States   
Hello all,

Looking for help tracking down a problem with an ESU LokSound 3 decoder installed in a V60 Marklin diesel (a 3065 converted to digital).

The decoder drives the engine well, no problems. However, when the sound (f1) on my 6021 is pressed, the appropriate engine sound starts. But after about 7 seconds, the sound gets very noisy and crackles. When I turn the sound off, and then engage f1 again, the sound is fine intially and then deteriorates again.

I'm a dedicated ESU user - from the beginning with the original LokSound and also the LokPilots and I swear by their quality and workmanship. I've converted about 18 engines, but this little problem with my V60 has me stumped. Anyone who might have an answer or solution/remedy? Your help is greatly appreciated!

Peter
Offline jvuye  
#2 Posted : 01 December 2014 16:22:56(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Hi Peter
Off the cuff, I can see two potential problems (based on my own experience...)
1° the speaker: try to exchange it. Their coil is manufactured with a **very** thin wire, and I have seen many of them showing an intermitent failure in the way you describe it.
2° the output stage: less likely, but some wire bonding inside the chip could fail under load (thermal stress) and reconnect after cooling off.
Solving 1° is easy, but 2° is more complictaed unless you have the skills for micro-soldering SMT components (Surface Mount Technology) and you can procure the replacement output stage component.
I would not risk it, and would rather use the failed sound decoder as a "non-sound" one for another conversion.
I know this is not 100% satisfactory, and I wish someone can offer better advice.
Cheers
Jacques

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Peter Neumann  
#3 Posted : 02 December 2014 05:11:38(UTC)
Peter Neumann

United States   
Thank you, Jacques.

As you suggested, I had already tried several speakers with the same result. So it must be the second scenario, and you are correct (and when are you not? Laugh ) about it not being worth the effort to replace the component.

Thank you again for all of the advice you have lent to us through the years - I being among those who have benefitted from your exprience and counsel more than once.

Peter
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 02 December 2014 06:45:39(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
What happens if you do nothing and let the sounds continue to play? Does the sound continue to be distorted or does it revert to normal after a few seconds? I think that I know what may be happening. The sounds are programmed in a specific order. Many of my locos have a fan sound (or similar) that is very loud and tends to cause the speaker to vibrate/distort when it goes off. After the sound runs it's course, the sound returns to normal until the next time that sound runs. If it is not a specific sound that distorts but the entire output that is distorted, then there may be an issue with the speaker or wiring. In that case, the first thing that I would do is to reduce the volume using a Lokprogrammer so that it does not stress the parts as much.

Regards

Mike C
Offline jvuye  
#5 Posted : 02 December 2014 07:16:18(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
What happens if you do nothing and let the sounds continue to play? Does the sound continue to be distorted or does it revert to normal after a few seconds? I think that I know what may be happening. The sounds are programmed in a specific order. Many of my locos have a fan sound (or similar) that is very loud and tends to cause the speaker to vibrate/distort when it goes off. After the sound runs it's course, the sound returns to normal until the next time that sound runs. If it is not a specific sound that distorts but the entire output that is distorted, then there may be an issue with the speaker or wiring. In that case, the first thing that I would do is to reduce the volume using a Lokprogrammer so that it does not stress the parts as much.

Regards

Mike C

Good point Mike! Definitely worth a try. ThumpUp
Peter: if you don't have a lokprogrammer, you can operate the same change , albeit a little less comfortably, by modifying a CV value with your 6021.
The ESU manual explains the procedure. When I get home tonight, I can give you more specifics if needed.
cheers
Jacques
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline Peter Neumann  
#6 Posted : 02 December 2014 14:12:02(UTC)
Peter Neumann

United States   
All good advice, thank you. I honestly had not let the distorted sound continue fearing damage to the decoder.

As a somewhat infrequent participant on the forum I had forgotten that I could post an attachment to my message... so what I'm going to do in a day or so as I have time is to record the sound and send another message that has a .wav file or the like of the sound/noise that I am hearing so that you may hear it also.

Using a 6021, I've changed CVs on other engines/loks to improve performance so I'm willing to do that as needed, as I do not have a programmer...

Thank you again.

Peter