Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bygger01  
#1 Posted : 28 November 2014 21:45:14(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
Is there anyone who knows if it really necessary to close a CS2 down each time it has been used, or can it not just been leave it open with full stop pressed ?

Or there is a needed update each time you make a shutdown ?
Best regards
Jørgen St. from Herning in DK
H0 / Märklin K track / CS3+ / full digital / Epoke III +/-
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 28 November 2014 22:04:24(UTC)
Webmaster

I think it saves the "current state & configuration" while it shuts down as computers do...

However - others know better and can correct me about my initial thought....
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
H0
Offline bygger01  
#3 Posted : 28 November 2014 22:43:40(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
The topic was sent at the same time to the Danish Sporskiftet and marklin-user.net and the first respond came from user-net .................

But was it an answer ?

If you don't know it, then I can tell you, that all this ...................... are my Smileys, and if you eyes are good enough, then you can "read" them ..........
Best regards
Offline Konstant artz  
#4 Posted : 28 November 2014 23:53:40(UTC)
Konstant artz

my problem is similar- am getting overload messages and cannot locate my short circuit in my layout- complete digital set up, with CS2 (60215) the overload is presenting itself in the feeder track to the layout. I have changed transformers- same problem- checked all wiring and still the problem stays in the feeder track- checked to see the out put on the feeder track its OK-but connect it to the layout it makes a "cricket sound" and Cs2 block's the overload message comes on. Am at my wits end in trying to isolate the short circuit!!! Any help will be greatly appreciated. K. Artz
Offline bygger01  
#5 Posted : 29 November 2014 00:16:44(UTC)
bygger01

Denmark   
My post is more a question than a problem ......

Your short-circuit eruption does not give enough information to Expect solutions.

Your first informations should well be:

Are you a 2 or 3 track driver
Is it H0
If Märklin is it C or K tracks

Can't You hear a ticking sound, when there is silence in the room and possibly with the help of an assistant to manage CS2 device and find Your short circuit this way

Or else some of us will pass by next time we are over there .........
Best regards
Offline kiwiAlan  
#6 Posted : 29 November 2014 09:16:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Konstant artz Go to Quoted Post
my problem is similar- am getting overload messages and cannot locate my short circuit in my layout- complete digital set up, with CS2 (60215) the overload is presenting itself in the feeder track to the layout. I have changed transformers- same problem- checked all wiring and still the problem stays in the feeder track- checked to see the out put on the feeder track its OK-but connect it to the layout it makes a "cricket sound" and Cs2 block's the overload message comes on. Am at my wits end in trying to isolate the short circuit!!! Any help will be greatly appreciated. K. Artz

Have you removed the locos and stock from the track? When you do does the problem go away? If yes, then I suspect you need to break your layout up into blocks and add some boosters because you have reached the point where the current draw is more than the cs2 can handle.

If you remove all the stock and the problem does not go away, then the problem is in the track somewhere, and you will need to split the track at suitable points to isolate blocks and determine when the problem returns. However before doing that, do a visual inspection around the whole layout looking for a screw or spring or other item that has fallen off a loco or wagon without you noticing, and has got itself between the studs and a rail, creating the short.
Offline H0  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2014 09:26:51(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: bygger01 Go to Quoted Post
Is there anyone who knows if it really necessary to close a CS2 down each time it has been used, or can it not just been leave it open with full stop pressed?
How do you define "really necessary"?

You can always disconnect the transformer without a shutdown at the risk of losing some recent changes.
You can always leave it on and just press STOP to stop the layout power - the CS2 is just a Linux computer and will consume power all the time. I think it was not build to be on all the time. Still you can do it.

I would shut it down if I intend to leave the layout for more than one hour. IMHO it'll be OK to leave it in the STOP state for a lunch break or so.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 29 November 2014 09:29:42(UTC)
H0

Hi!
[...] the overload is presenting itself in the feeder track to the layout.
It's not nice to hijack threads with completely unrelated questions.

The feeder track must not contain any radio interference suppression. Those were built for analogue operation (50 or 60 Hz) and will not work with digital operation (5000+ Hz).

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline 3rail4life  
#9 Posted : 29 November 2014 09:58:34(UTC)
3rail4life

United States   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi!
[...] the overload is presenting itself in the feeder track to the layout.
It's not nice to hijack threads with completely unrelated questions.

Hi, at the risk of going further off topic RollEyes, I have to say when I first saw this post title, I thought it was exactly what Konstanz artz was asking about, the CS2 shutting down, not how does one properly shut down a CS2Confused

btw, I agree with using the shut down before turning off the power and leaving it off when not in use...

Gordon