Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline AndrewBrincat  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2014 23:59:20(UTC)
AndrewBrincat

Malta   
Hi all,

in 2006 I purchased one of my all time favorite locomotives, the SBB RE460 belonging to the Marklin 29850 Swiss set. Last week (after being in storage for some time) I started to run her around the track and noticed that she is not running smoothly (jerky movements) especially when running at high speed. The sound from the motor also seems to making different sound tones in relation to the jerky movements. I have tried oiling the gears and cleaning the current pick up as per the instructions, but no luck..

The strange thing is, even though this happens more often then not, after a few laps round the track she then starts running almost normally.

Any ideas of what is going on? I have ordered a new current pick up to start with, but I fear that the problem is coming from the motor its self. Perhaps the carbon brushes need changing?

Thanks for your help! :)

Andrew
Offline mike c  
#2 Posted : 25 November 2014 07:17:46(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
It sounds to me as if the loco probably needs some adjustment to the brushes. You can try removing them and reinserting them. You may also want to adjust the tension against the brushes. Normally when this is the problem, it can be identified by a very noticeable odour coming from the motor.
I don't think that the current pick up is an issue. As that was a model with a screw on slider with no wire soldered to it, I would suggest that you try unscrewing it and reinstalling it reversed 180 degrees to see if that changes the performance.
You also don't mention whether you have been running other trains regularly while this loco was in storage, but the problem may be dirty tracks.

If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 25 November 2014 07:51:47(UTC)
H0

Hi, Andrew!
Originally Posted by: AndrewBrincat Go to Quoted Post
The sound from the motor also seems to making different sound tones in relation to the jerky movements. I have tried oiling the gears and cleaning the current pick up as per the instructions, but no luck.
To me this sound as if something starts to vibrate in the loco - causing noise and at the same time leading to a slow-down.

First things to check in such a case are the bearings of the rotor - they need oil or grease frequently, especially after long storage. Could also be the bearing of a cog wheel that needs oil.
Do not overoil the gears. Too much oil on the cog wheels will have a negative effect.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline AndrewBrincat  
#4 Posted : 25 November 2014 17:49:00(UTC)
AndrewBrincat

Malta   
Hi guys,

thanks for your help! it's much appreciated!

The loco has been in storage for some time but other trains have run on the track which work normally. With regards to the brushes, im sad to say that I am still a novice when it come to maintaining and repairing my model trains. I worried I might damage them! I have also been trying to look for videos and tutorials on how to change brushes on marklin trains but no luck so far! any easy method of chaning brushes?

It will probably have to go back to Germany for a checkup as there are no retailers in Malta :(

Thanks again for your help!

Andrew
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2014 08:40:28(UTC)
H0

With regards to the brushes, im sad to say that I am still a novice when it come to maintaining and repairing my model trains.
I haven't seen nor heard your loco, but from your description I think the problem is not brush-related.
Märklin locos often need a drop of oil. It's not very difficult to disassemble the powered truck: one screw holds the truck frame, one screw holds the truck in place, two screws hold the brush plate.
Remove four screws and you have the powered truck without any cables.

Your loco runs fine after a warm-up, so the problem could be related to hardened oil.

Sending the loco to Germany will be an expensive option - and Märklin locos need service after 20 or 40 hours of operation.
It should be possible to find someone in Malta who can help. Trix H0 locos are the same, so you don't even need a three-railer.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2014 11:06:11(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
The strange thing is, even though this happens more often then not, after a few laps round the track she then starts running almost normally.

Both locos of this set have the 5-pole drum collector motor installed, which can easily disassembled by Your own, see manual:
http://www.maerklin.de/s...&artikelnummer=29850 (copy link into browser)

It is a good recommendation to disassemble the motor shield and clean the drum collector carefully. Probably, the loco was stored, laying on the side and oil was flowing onto the drum collector.

Further, for enhanced optimization, it is a good choice to add ball bearings into the gear box and motor shield (see my conversions in the footer).

Ball Bearing in motor shield:
UserPostedImage

Ball Bearing in gear box:
UserPostedImage

But this is a bit tricky and should be done very carefully. But the loco runs with ball bearings much smoother, faster and with less power consumption.