Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline I_love_Marklin_37538  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2014 09:31:18(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

Just looking for opinions from the members on this forum, should Marklin make the orient express during the 80s which toured from Europe into Asia?
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2014 09:49:09(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Do you have a photo of this train? There have been many trains over the years with the name "Orient Express" and I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

A few years ago I travelled on the Venice Simplon Orient Express with my wife on the occasion of our 25th Wedding Anniversary, but this one terminated in Venice, which is rather short of Asia. That train was pulled by several different locos as it passed through different contries. I've bought some of the Rivarossi coaches that are a good match for the coaches we travelled in, and I have suitable locos for the French, Swiss and Austrian sections, but not yet the Italian.

A Marklin train pack featuring part of this journey would be nice, but I suspect rather expensive as they would have to pay royalties to VSOE.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2014 10:24:05(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post

A Marklin train pack featuring part of this journey would be nice, but I suspect rather expensive as they would have to pay royalties to VSOE.

I believe the VSOE royalties are rather expensive, and is part of the reason why several years ago when Marklin produced a suitable old coach set it was not called 'Orient Express' although the Chinese whispers was it was that under a differnet name. can't remember the catalogue number of the set at present though, maybe someone else can chime in with it.

VSOE did at one stage sell through their website some souvenir coaches in HO, but they were exxxxxxxxpensive. I don't know who manufactured them for VSOE.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline PJMärklin  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2014 11:06:11(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Do you have a photo of this train? There have been many trains over the years with the name "Orient Express" and I'm not sure which one you're referring to.

A few years ago I travelled on the Venice Simplon Orient Express with my wife on the occasion of our 25th Wedding Anniversary, but this one terminated in Venice, which is rather short of Asia. That train was pulled by several different locos as it passed through different contries. I've bought some of the Rivarossi coaches that are a good match for the coaches we travelled in, and I have suitable locos for the French, Swiss and Austrian sections, but not yet the Italian.

Hello Ray,

What a great journey that must have been, I dream of it.

Do you have any images of the trip you could show us?

Regards,

PJ
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 24 November 2014 11:15:44(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: PJMärklin Go to Quoted Post

Hello Ray,

What a great journey that must have been, I dream of it.

Do you have any images of the trip you could show us?

Regards,

PJ

Hi PJ,

Yes it was a wonderful trip. I have photos I can share but it'll have to wait until I get home so I can get them off my PC. I found one I had posted on the forum some time ago, showing the coach with our cabin.

UserPostedImage
Ray
#6 Posted : 24 November 2014 12:24:38(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

I found a video on Youtube from a Japanese TV show showing the Orient Express running through Germany with two DR BR 01's:

Kato is apparently doing it in N Scale:

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by I_love_Marklin_37538
#7 Posted : 24 November 2014 12:28:05(UTC)
I_love_Marklin_37538

This one have some photos of it too:

http://trains-worldexpresses.com/500/516.htm
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by I_love_Marklin_37538
Offline Western Pacific  
#8 Posted : 24 November 2014 14:07:53(UTC)
Western Pacific

Sweden   
Originally Posted by: I_love_Marklin_37538 Go to Quoted Post
Just looking for opinions from the members on this forum, should Marklin make the orient express during the 80s which toured from Europe into Asia?

In my mind no. And why?

The Orient Express had lost all its glory in the 1980-ies. It was an ordary "name train" with 1st and 2nd class passenger coaches, couchette coaches from various European railways and one or two CIWL sleeping coaches. It ran from Paris to Bukarest via Strasbourg, Stuttgart, München (Munich), Wien (Vienna) and Budapest.

In the summer of 1980 I spent the month of August in Vienna and I saw the train at Wien Westbf, looking like any other international passenger train from that time, consisting of coaches from a number of railways and although I don't remember exactly which, I'm pretty sure they came from SNCF, ÖBB and MAV.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Western Pacific
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 24 November 2014 14:28:19(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: Western Pacific Go to Quoted Post

In my mind no. And why?

The Orient Express had lost all its glory in the 1980-ies. It was an ordary "name train" with 1st and 2nd class passenger coaches, couchette coaches from various European railways and one or two CIWL sleeping coaches. It ran from Paris to Bukarest via Strasbourg, Stuttgart, München (Munich), Wien (Vienna) and Budapest.

In the summer of 1980 I spent the month of August in Vienna and I saw the train at Wien Westbf, looking like any other international passenger train from that time, consisting of coaches from a number of railways and although I don't remember exactly which, I'm pretty sure they came from SNCF, ÖBB and MAV.

This Orient Express ended up as a very ordinary train and I agree has little to commend it as a model, but I think the Venice Simplon Orient Express, run as a luxury tourist train since 1982 with the 1920s CIWL carriages, has much more appeal. This is the train I travelled on in 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/...e-Simplon_Orient_Express

Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NZMarklinist  
#10 Posted : 24 November 2014 15:32:00(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   

This one have some photos of it too:

Alex, if this is the train your referring to, I agree with the others, a resounding no ThumbDown as it looks like an unattractive miss mash of wagens, and extremely unlikely to be a money spinner for Marklin.

Ray's idea of the current all dark blue train which runs to Venice, that he and Jacques Vuye, and their wives, have travelled on for their respective wedding anniversaries would have much more appeal, two likely pre-sales there at least, not to mention as a souvenier for all the other passengers as well. It would be interesting to know if M already make all the different E Loks that pull that train, I suspect not and it / they could be available add ons to the set $$$$$$ Scared

Kiwi Allan; the set I believe you are referring to is M42754 made in 1989, representing the train in 1910.

It was remade as M42755 in 2008 representing the train in 1921 with an add on set M42760 of two extra "Schlafwagen" and the M39021 Baden IVh Dampf lok which I have myself Wink

However these sets are based on models made by Trix and I'm not that big a fan of them, rather flimsy with plastic hand rails that fall off if you touch them, or likely worse, if the train derailed Angry but love my Blue Baden IVh with SDS Love
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline danmarklinman  
#11 Posted : 24 November 2014 19:16:59(UTC)
danmarklinman

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

This one have some photos of it too

Alex, if this is the train your referring to, I agree with the others, a resounding no ThumbDown as it looks like an unattractive miss mash of wagens, and extremely unlikely to be a money spinner for Marklin.

Ray's idea of the current all dark blue train which runs to Venice, that he and Jacques Vuye, and their wives, have travelled on for their respective wedding anniversaries would have much more appeal, two likely pre-sales there at least, not to mention as a souvenier for all the other passengers as well. It would be interesting to know if M already make all the different E Loks that pull that train, I suspect not and it / they could be available add ons to the set $$$$$$ Scared

Kiwi Allan; the set I believe you are referring to is M42754 made in 1989, representing the train in 1910.

It was remade as M42755 in 2008 representing the train in 1921 with an add on set M42760 of two extra "Schlafwagen" and the M39021 Baden IVh Dampf lok which I have myself Wink

However these sets are based on models made by Trix and I'm not that big a fan of them, rather flimsy with plastic hand rails that fall off if you touch them, or likely worse, if the train derailed Angry but love my Blue Baden IVh with SDS Love

As far as I know, and I have seen, in real life or on film. Marklin make all but the Italian locomotive of today's Orient express!
It starts with the SNCF BB 26000 Sybic, SBB Ae 6/6 or 8/14, OBB Torus 1014, apart from that as I have said no FS stuff, which is a pity!!
I would love a Marklin Train Blue. But I can't see them doing one, don't forget they have done the orient express in Z, cat number 8108. Cheers Dan
Marklin and Piko era 4 SNCB , Marklin wagons
Wiking model car Fan
Faller fan including car system
Instagram: marklin1978
Wiking fan
Offline ozzman  
#12 Posted : 24 November 2014 21:04:44(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
Originally Posted by: danmarklinman Go to Quoted Post

I would love a Marklin Train Blue. But I can't see them doing one, don't forget they have done the orient express in Z, cat number 8108. Cheers Dan

Plus a set of three sleeping coaches plus a piano bar coach. I've forgotten the catalogue numbers.
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 24 November 2014 23:05:22(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post

I think you have the right number in 42754, but do you have the year correct? My memory is it was after we moved to the UK, which was 1997, so should the year be 1998 instead of 1989?

I don't believe I am confusing the date with the 42755 remake, which is another 10 years later.

Alan