Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline NS1200  
#1 Posted : 18 November 2014 07:03:48(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
Cheap Marklin sets on sale this week at the Aldi supermarket in Holland.
I wonder whether it is wise by Marklin to steer this course.
Trains look very cheap and toy like.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline pab  
#2 Posted : 18 November 2014 10:55:34(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: NS1200 Go to Quoted Post
Cheap Marklin sets on sale this week at the Aldi supermarket in Holland.
I wonder whether it is wise by Marklin to steer this course.
Trains look very cheap and toy like.

I think it's good to approach new customer groups.
I remember my first Märklin starter set with a 3029 type locomotive. Also very cheap and toy like.
If you want young people to start with the hobby it's essential to offer cheap sets with enough room for their fantasy. No need for very detailed models.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by pab
Offline ozzman  
#3 Posted : 18 November 2014 11:11:13(UTC)
ozzman

Australia   
This may well be the business model of the new owner of Marklin. You have to ask if this is how they market their other brands.

Bet there was no Z scale. RollEyes
Gary
Z Scale
"Never let the prototype get in the way of a good layout"
Offline Alsterstreek  
#4 Posted : 18 November 2014 12:25:38(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
It is not the "Weselsky Edition" on sale, is it?

https://www.marklin-user...-Edition.aspx#post473267

:-)
Offline Shamu  
#5 Posted : 18 November 2014 12:43:40(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
I agree with Piet,

In the grander scheme of things the 2 sets are peanuts, although I think it would have been wiser to have them branded as "Marklin My World".

It is cheap enough that mum and dad aren't going to get worried about any damage but enough to entertain the kiddies. Likewise the lack of detail is a good thing, dad is unlikely to get all "clucky" over them and confiscate the lok's "because little johnnie is going to break the handrails/pipes etc.

A good move in my books to get the starter sets under the Xmas tree and hopefully imprint the Marklin name onto the kiddies so when they are older and want a better set they are more than likely to want Marklin for their "grown up set" as well.

In fact if Aldi in Oz had them I'd be buying 4 of them for the 4 lots of grandkids for Xmas, would be a good investment in my books for around $500-600 in Oz dollars.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Alsterstreek  
#6 Posted : 18 November 2014 12:46:51(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline kweekalot  
#7 Posted : 18 November 2014 13:41:50(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
The Dutch ALDI supermarkets sells Marklin around Christmas time since at least 2007, same in Germany and most likely also in other countries with ALDI supermarkets.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline jcrtrains  
#8 Posted : 18 November 2014 14:20:45(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
I think that is fantastic to have that type of exposure. Other than Thomas at toy stores, we only have train sets in hobby shops. Having them available at a store that all parts of the family visit will make them think about getting a train set and introducing them to the hobby. A great idea at the Christmas season.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline RayF  
#9 Posted : 18 November 2014 15:34:04(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
It's never a bad idea to get kids into trains at an early age.

I quite like the look of the engines! The steam loco looks a bit like a saddle tank, like Percy from Thomas and Friends, and the Diesel is a four wheel Henschel shunter that looks a bit like a DHG 360B:

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

The wagons are standard Marklin wagons in different colours, so perfectly compatible with the rest of the Marklin range
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline NS1200  
#10 Posted : 18 November 2014 17:11:40(UTC)
NS1200

Netherlands   
The Marklin productnumbers are 29284 and 29285.
Have more than you show,speak less than you know (Shakespeare).
Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 18 November 2014 20:10:47(UTC)
Webmaster

Here they are....

Webmaster attached the following image(s):
startpakket_maerklin_modeltreinset_big_9763.jpg
startpakket_maerklin_modeltreinset_big_20052.jpg
startpakket_maerklin_modeltreinset_big_20053.jpg
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by Webmaster
Offline kiwiAlan  
#12 Posted : 27 November 2014 19:38:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
Here they are....

Now that is interesting, they have different model numbers in Germany - 29281 is the Steam Loco and passenger train that is identical to that pictured for Aldi.NL, but the picture on the front of the box has the identical shot of the train, but the track picture, instead of being the oval with a siding shows an oval with the point going outwards, and then two long sidings made from the track of the other start set, with text indicating you can have this layout by combining the Autozug and Personzug. [edit] Actually this track diagram is on the back of the box, the front of the box is as shown in the pictures above, but I think those pictures are mock-ups as the actual opening in the box allows you to see all four items (loco and three pieces of rolling stock) [/edit]

[edit] The German version of the Autozug is 29280 according to the instruction leaflet. This leaves 29282 and 29283 as missing numbers for Aldi sets in another country? [/edit]

The control unit looks like a wired version of the Infra red one that comes in the My World sets.

There are four versions on the Faller building sets available. There is a station set, a railroad workshop set, a village with church set, and a town street set consisting of three buildings and a several street lights and signs.

All the buildings from the various sets have been long term items in the Faller catalogue, so it has been a case of bang out another run from some old molds that have already had a lot of use, but they are still worth getting.

Although the Marklin sets have catalogue numbers - and my box has only German language on it, which I suspect is why the number is different from the Dutch set (which presumably has only the Dutch language on it) but the Faller sets have no catalogue numbers and only one of the bar codes has numbers with it, and I suspect that is only a subset of the bar code numbers.

I have bought the steam Loco set, and the Faller Dorf-Set. However I think SWTSMBO is warming to the idea of getting the other three Faller sets as well, at €29.99 each. I don't think I can convince her that I need the autozug set as well.

I'll put pictures of both items up later.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#13 Posted : 28 November 2014 13:07:17(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
As promised, some photos of the sets

Box front, back and contents (note there is still a pocket at top right for another wagon or accessories): -
kiwiAlan attached the following image(s):
Marklin Box Front.jpg
Marklin Box Back.jpg
Marklin Box Contents.jpg
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 28 November 2014 13:23:45(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
The loco and wagons, along with controller and track connection. Note that controller is permanently soldered to the track, and the joints protected by a pretty solid silicon rubber to protect from the roughness of children when setting up and breaking down. However they haven't notched the track to allow the wires to come out and allow the track bed to sit flat! First minor modification coming up ... Mellow

The coaches are lettered identically both sides, the bicycle transport van is lettered in four languages ... Blink
Marklin Box Loco & Wagon.jpg
Marklin Box Coaches.jpg
Marklin Box Controller.jpg
Marklin Box Track Connection.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 28 November 2014 13:36:08(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Apart from the Marklin My Start catalogue shown in the box contents photo, there is also several other bits of documentation. The guarantee card applies to both available sets. I was surprised they included an Insider membership application as well as a My Start Club application - still anything to get papa involved I guess.
Marklin Box Documentation.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#16 Posted : 28 November 2014 22:53:59(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
The Dutch ALDI supermarkets sells Marklin around Christmas time since at least 2007, same in Germany and most likely also in other countries with ALDI supermarkets.

I believe Australia has Aldi supermarkets, and there has been talk of Aldi coming to NZ, although Aldi themselves are saying they have no plans at this stage.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/t...ays-no-plans-to-enter-NZ

Don't know if Aldi Aus sell the Marklin sets, but I think xxup Offline has previously said they don't.
Offline Irish Rail  
#17 Posted : 28 November 2014 23:45:40(UTC)
Irish Rail

Ireland   
Aldi are in Ireland and UK, but no sign of Marklin sets here, I'm afraid. :(

Would have been ideal for grandson as Christmas present. Maybe next year.

FYI, the Aldi organisation is in two parts, Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. The Marklin sets seem to be available only in some Aldi Nord countries (not all), but are not for sale in any Aldi Sud countries. Note that Nord and Sud do not correspond with geography.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#18 Posted : 29 November 2014 09:07:19(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Irish Rail Go to Quoted Post
Aldi are in Ireland and UK, but no sign of Marklin sets here, I'm afraid. :(

Would have been ideal for grandson as Christmas present. Maybe next year.

FYI, the Aldi organisation is in two parts, Aldi Nord and Aldi Sud. The Marklin sets seem to be available only in some Aldi Nord countries (not all), but are not for sale in any Aldi Sud countries. Note that Nord and Sud do not correspond with geography.

I got mine at an Aldi Sud around Stuttgart.

The Aldi Nord and Sud split came when the two brothers who set up the Aldi chain had a difference of opinion over the product range that should be stocked. There was an obituary of one of them in The Times (UK) during the year that explained the split quite well.

I don't think that this product would sell well in the UK/Ireland/Australasia as it is too European based. If there was a Thomas version or a UK themed version then that would probably sell well.

and to get one you would have to be at the shop on the day they start selling, as they seemed to sell out real quick. There was not a large stock at the shop we went to, and by the second day some of the Faller items were sold out. It does not appear that there are continued shipments of stock to the shops, it is one shipment and that's it.

But I did see a late primary school age lad eyeing up the two Faller kits that I went and got last night, as I was queuing at the checkout.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Tom Jessop  
#19 Posted : 29 November 2014 21:30:43(UTC)
Tom Jessop

Australia   

In Oz , Aldi is only on the East Coast at the moment & going gang busters against the 2 mega giants of Woolworths &Coles [Westfarmers ] . They do have long term plans to have stores in every state of Oz with South Australia next . In the 10 + years they have been in Oz there has not been any Marklin but this year they did have a decent table size wooden toy train set which was compatible with other makes so this is a step ahead of some makers who produce things with no compatibility .
I doubt if Ozzy Aldi will bring out Marklin as M is a very very small player in the market down under . The closest thing they have had for sale was a decent air compressor /air brush sets with 2 different airbrushes included for just over $ 100 au, I haven't used mine yet but it seems to be a well built item .

Cheers Tom in Oz
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Tom Jessop
Offline sjlauritsen  
#20 Posted : 11 January 2015 18:57:08(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
I just noticed that the goods wagon carries the sign "Bicycletransport" and the Danish word "Cykeltransport". Smile Aldi in Denmark carries Märklin sets as well.

Does anybody know if it is possible to change the address of the locomotive using the controller from the set? I was asked about this. The infrared controller can do it, but can the wired one? I have not been able to find any information regarding this - and I do not have a set myself.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline kiwiAlan  
#21 Posted : 12 January 2015 00:27:38(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
I just noticed that the goods wagon carries the sign "Bicycletransport" and the Danish word "Cykeltransport". Smile Aldi in Denmark carries Märklin sets as well.

Does anybody know if it is possible to change the address of the locomotive using the controller from the set? I was asked about this. The infrared controller can do it, but can the wired one? I have not been able to find any information regarding this - and I do not have a set myself.

I haven't tried looking at doing that. As far as I can see the controller is just a current version of the Delta unit - but having said that it obviously needs to have this facility, as it doesn't make sense for Opa to take a birthday present loco back to the shop to get the address changed if the new loco has an address that collides with a loco that little Franz already owns.

The other side of the wagon contains two other languages, one German and I presume the other is Dutch, seeing the sets are sold there - but they are not sold in the UK, or any other English speaking countries I know of, so I don't know why the fourth language is English.

Offline kiwiAlan  
#22 Posted : 12 January 2015 14:28:00(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
OK, I have grabbed the leaflet that came with the set, and it is certainly possible to change a loco address. I suspect the procedure is the same as the IR controller.

Here is the German ...
Adresse ändern:
Sollten Sie 2 Lokomotiven mit derselben Adresse besitzen, können Sie die Addresse einer Lokomotive wie folgt ändern:
Schaltnetzteil ausstecken und nur die zu programmierende Lok auf das Gleis stellen. Schieben Sie den Addresswahlschalter auf die gewünschte Addresse. Drücken Sie die Taste "fahrtrichtung ändern". Halten Sie diese gedrückt, während Sie das Schaltnetzteil wieder einstecken.
Sobald die LED im Führer leuchtet bzw. blinkt die Taste loslassen. Mit dem Einschaltern der LED bzw. dem Blinken wird der Programmiervorgang angezeigt. Sobald die LED erlischt, ist die Programmierung abgeschlossen. Die Lok kann nun mit der neuen Adresse gefahren werden.

And Google Translate gives this ...
Change address:
If you have 2 locomotives with the same address, you can change the address of a Lokomotive as follows:
Switching power adapter and provide only the locomotive to be programmed onto the track. Slide the Address selector to the desired address. Press the button "Change direction of travel". Hold down the button while plugging in the switching power supply again.
When the LED in the cab lights or flashes release the button. The Einschaltern the LED or flashing the programming process is displayed. When the LED goes out, the programming is complete. The locomotive can now be moved to the new address.

Google obviously hasn't learnt to translate 'unplug' yet, and I am not sure what Einschaltern should translate as, beyond that while the LED is on or flashing the address is being programmed.Blink

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline pab  
#23 Posted : 12 January 2015 15:02:35(UTC)
pab

Netherlands   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
OK, I have grabbed the leaflet that came with the set, and it is certainly possible to change a loco address. I suspect the procedure is the same as the IR controller.

Google obviously hasn't learnt to translate 'unplug' yet, and I am not sure what Einschaltern should translate as, beyond that while the LED is on or flashing the address is being programmed.Blink

einschalten =switch on/turn on

Maybe a typo or a common noun for the action turn on (enabling?).

Offline Renato  
#24 Posted : 12 January 2015 15:23:51(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
And here is the "www.nicetranslator.com" translation (a little bit more understandable):

Address change:
If you have 2 locomotives with the same address, you can change the address of a locomotive as follows: unplug power supply and provide only the locomotive to be programmed on the track. Push the address selector to the desired address. Press the button "Change direction". Hold, while you reconnect the power supply. When the LED lights up in the guide (for me: engineer's cab) or flashes, release the button.
With the input switches the LED or the flashing, the programming operation will be shown. As soon as the LED goes out, the programming is completed. The locomotive can now be driven with the new address.

Cheers

Renato
Offline sjlauritsen  
#25 Posted : 12 January 2015 16:50:19(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Thanks for the info guys!

Do any of you know if there are decoders that will not be programmed this way? Or will it work with any decoder?
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline kweekalot  
#26 Posted : 16 January 2015 20:55:12(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
I saw on German mrr forums, that at the German Aldi stores (ALDI Süd) the (many) leftovers of these sets are now on sale for € 69.

That is a really good price, even the tracks in the set must be > € 75

Tomorrow I visit our local Aldi here in Holland and see if these sets are here on sale for € 69 too.
Offline kweekalot  
#27 Posted : 24 January 2015 18:56:09(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Last week I saw no more Marklin #29284 startsets at our local Aldi, but today there was a #29284 set in the discount rack for € 79,=, see picture.

According to Stummi in some German Aldi's these sets are now on sale for € 59
So I wait a bit and hope that I can buy the set for € 59 too here in Holland.

UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kiwiAlan  
#28 Posted : 24 January 2015 19:12:29(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: kweekalot Go to Quoted Post
Last week I saw no more Marklin #29284 startsets at our local Aldi, but today there was a #29284 set in the discount rack for € 79,=, see picture.

According to Stummi in some German Aldi's these sets are now on sale for € 59
So I wait a bit and hope that I can buy the set for € 59 too here in Holland.

UserPostedImage

Also consider that box of Faller next to it.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline Mark5  
#29 Posted : 15 November 2015 06:16:08(UTC)
Mark5

Canada   
Nice!

Marco, did you ever manage to pick up a set for €59?

- Mark
DB DR FS NS SNCF c. 1950-65, fan of station architecture esp. from 1920-70.
In single point perspective, where do track lines meet?
Offline Rip Track  
#30 Posted : 15 November 2015 13:28:09(UTC)
Rip Track

United States   
Hmm, I'm aware of at least 3 Aldis in my area. Something tells me I won't see these sets here, but I might need to make a visit. Good move by Marklin. These sets could be good gateway drugs.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Rip Track