Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Gert-Jan  
#1 Posted : 16 November 2014 16:39:49(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Recently, I have been looking around in the settings of some of my newer MFX equipped locs.
I found out that most of them have hidden sounds in on of the soundslots on the decoder.

For most of them, I was able to extend the range of user activated sounds from 4 up to 8 by means of the CS.
So often adding 4 new sounds or sounds that were part of the random driving sound scheme.

Example:
I have added shaffner whistle, coal shoveling, air pump, Lima sound to my BR86 (37862.1)
Same with my BR50 kabintender, Insider BR58 and BR96 mallet.

Don't know why Märklin would keep these sounds hidden and not enable them by default
I love it ;-)

So I was wondering if there is an overview of soundslot maps with their sound per specific loc?
Mosty era III DB.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Gert-Jan
Offline loderunner  
#2 Posted : 16 November 2014 17:09:59(UTC)
loderunner

Canada   
Hi Gert-Jan,

Could please tell us how to access this sound slot for mfx decoders?

Thanks
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 16 November 2014 18:30:34(UTC)
H0

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Janne75  
#4 Posted : 16 November 2014 18:33:54(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

This sounds really interesting. I would also like to know how to do this? As it's boring to have the very same sounds in many steam locos it would be nice to change some of them. For example I don't like coal shoveling sound/noise as it's always too loud to feel realistic. I could change it to some different whistle or bell sound if possible. I will go asap to my train room and power on my CS2 to see if I figure it out how to do this...

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Janne75  
#5 Posted : 16 November 2014 21:25:47(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi all,

I figured out how to do this Smile . First press the wrench button of your mfx loco when your loco is on the main track. Then press CV button. Let the CS2 read all info from the loco decoder. When ready you can press a free function button. CS2 tells there is no function programmed to this function button at the moment. Press the "+" and scroll down the list until you get into the "Sounds 1-16". Choose a sound = you can test all of them to see if the loco has that sound already assigned under a different function button or not.

There can also be some sounds which are not prototypical for the current loco. Or there are no sounds to play in that loco. You should press the downward pointing arrow to send the sound to loco and after this test the sound. Like Tom wrote in the other topic all mfx locos can have a function button programmed for acceleration and braking delay (ABV) and another for switching range (slow speed setting with a press of a button). I program always my locos function buttons so that acceleration and braking delay has a "weight" icon and switching range has that "turtle" icon.

I was able to add sounds to 37927 DB BR 41 (only short whistle), 29830 DB BR 03 some extra sounds, 37862 DB BR 86 some extra sounds, 37967 some sound(s). To all of these not having the switching range programmed I assigned a function button also for this. Also to 39015 DB BR 01, 37953 DB BR 03, 37915 DB BR 03.10 and 39390 DB BR 39 I function mapped that switching range if not already done by Märklin. Unfortunately 39015 has still only one sound as it was not even possible to get a list of sounds 1-16. I think it has some cheap decoder and not a "real" sound decoder or it's locked by Märklin.

I didn't try my CFL BR 56 weathered steam loco and diesels or electric locos yet.

It was really worth the time it took to do all this! ThumpUp

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Gert-Jan  
#6 Posted : 16 November 2014 21:37:24(UTC)
Gert-Jan

The 'process' to add these new sounds is very simple, but it is a bit of a guess to achieve them.
I use a normal Central Station "1", but I don't think it is much different with CS2.

Anyway, these are the steps:
- Just put the specific MFX sound loc on the track.
- Select the loc on the CS and go to the 'Edit locomotive' menu.
- With the CS1, you get 3 menu 'tabs' and there you select the 'Advanced' tab
- You can select several options (icons) one of which is for function assignments (picto reads 'aux')
- Here you can assign functions and soundslots to one any of the 16 positions, pick an empty on and experiment with not yet assigned slots.
- There is no telling what sound slot contains additional sounds or not...just try, undo, retry
- The additional 'shunting speed' mode options is always there, just assign it and use the 'turtle' icon.

Worked for these locs, but sounds are random/different per loc.

37862.1 BR 86 234
37968 BR 96 019
37589 BR 58 1836
37039 BR 38 2637
29040.1 BR 50 1232
Mosty era III DB.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Gert-Jan
Offline Gert-Jan  
#7 Posted : 16 November 2014 22:42:05(UTC)
Gert-Jan

As example, these are the changes in more detail for the BR 86 234 from dual set 37862.

F1 -> Shunt Speed (with 'double A' lights by selecting both end lights to 'on')
F10 -> Soundslot 10 = Schüttelrost
F11 -> Soundslot 12 = Schieberkasten
F12 -> Soundslot 8 = Generator / Lima
F13 -> Soundslot 11 = Speisepump
F14 -> Soundslot 9 = Excavate coal
F15 -> Soundslot 16 = Conductor whistle

Edited by user 17 November 2014 09:12:46(UTC)  | Reason: Correction typo

Mosty era III DB.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Gert-Jan
Offline Janne75  
#8 Posted : 16 November 2014 22:59:01(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Originally Posted by: Gert-Jan Go to Quoted Post
As example, these are the changes in more detail for the BR 86 234 from dual set 37862.

F1 -> Shunt Speed (with double A lights by selecting both end lightsas 'on')
F10 -> Soundslot 10 = Schüttelrost
F11 -> Soundslot 12 = Schwieberkaste
F12 -> Soundslot 8 = Generator / Lima
F13 -> Soundslot 11 = Speisepump
F14 -> Soundslot 9 = Excavate coal
F15 -> Soundslot 16 = Conductor whistle

Thanks Gert-Jan,

I'm so happy you posted this topic so I got all this information for additional sounds for many mfx locos. What does "Schwieberkaste" mean in English, as Google translator doesn't give any translation for this one?

Janne

Offline Gert-Jan  
#9 Posted : 16 November 2014 23:11:39(UTC)
Gert-Jan

Schwieber should have been Schieber meaning 'valve' or 'slide'
So it is the valve box. The sound is close to blowing the valve box to clean it from water.

As water does not compress, it can destroy the cylinder if there is too much condensated water there...I think this is the sound for it ;-)

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 17 November 2014 09:01:56(UTC)  | Reason: Better picture....

Mosty era III DB.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Gert-Jan
Offline NZMarklinist  
#10 Posted : 26 November 2014 08:03:41(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi All,

I have always seen that there is more unallocated sounds in the mfx menu but presumed that they played as random sounds Blink

So I had another look at three mfx loks I had readily to hand, one of them being my 37455 BR45, him of three pole motor shame Bored

Anyway I did take notice of the "shunting mode" function and enabled it, allocated it an f button number and voila. ThumpUp

One of them was the M37655 V60 shunter, no sounds but it now has an extra "shunting mode" function. Love it Smile

Just FYI the third Lok was my msd converted M37900 V290

I will revisit the sounds when I get more time as most of my Loks are mfx, so it will be a long process for a winters day or two OhMyGod
and maybe best done when I have a CS2 ?? we'll see RollEyes

Thanks for the info everybody

Thought for the day; It's amazing what you don't see it you don't know your looking for it. Wink
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 26 November 2014 08:26:45(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: NZMarklinist Go to Quoted Post
and maybe best done when I have a CS2?
Give it a try - maybe before you buy the CS2.

Searching for hidden sounds with a CS1 is IMHO much quicker and much more efficient than with a CS2. The CS2 function mapping screen is IMHO counter intuitive and requires a lot clicks to get things done.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Gert-Jan  
#12 Posted : 29 November 2014 20:56:43(UTC)
Gert-Jan

To look for new sounds, I have this 'procedure':

1. I scroll down to check which soundbanks are not yet used for a (sound) function.
2. I assign a 'dauer' (continuous) function icon to the last free function (Function 16)
3. First I assign all not used soundbank to the function, half as 'forward' and the other 'reverse'
4. I test if there is any sound coming from the new assigned function, in forward and reverse direction...
5. By trial and error, I try to narrow down the sound I hear and write the specific soundslot on a paper.
6. I repeat until all hidden sounds are found.
7. At the end I assing all written down sounds/function to the best fitting icon and function key.

I hope I can post a soundslot - sound overview for my locs soon here (like the BR 86 234 from dual set 37862 above)
Mosty era III DB.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Gert-Jan