Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline sjlauritsen  
#1 Posted : 15 November 2014 10:30:33(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Hi all,

I have a 60174 booster and a 60061 power supply. I noticed yesterday, that an overload situation occurred with a BR 141 (Trix #22143), where the booster did not detect it. Apart from some smoke (from the power pickup external resistor), the loco is fine and works without problems. No damage was done. I was, however, kind of puzzled on why the situation was not detected?

I have tested several different overload situations with that same locomotive during the setup phase. I have never seen this happen before. Neither have I been able to reproduce the problem. Normally the overload detection kicks in at around 5 seconds after the overload begun (a bit long time for my taste, but I have not found a way to change that).

In my investigation on the problem, I noticed that the booster settings was set to use a 60101 power supply. I changed this to the 60061. I then wondered if perhaps this had something to do with the problem.

My question is: Does the booster change its overload detection to match the power supply that it is setup to use? Meaning that a setting at 60101 would tolerate a larger load than a setting at 60061, even though the power supply is a 60061.

Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Shamu  
#2 Posted : 15 November 2014 12:10:04(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Interesting question Søren,

It would not be beyond the realms of possibility that the settings for a 60W-v-100W PSU may make a difference to the time-out for the overload protection BUT without a accurate circuit diagram and any relevant code that may or may not be in a on board PIC its anyone's guess.

Although I'm inclined to think that a sudden overload/short would be dealt with in well under 5 seconds. This is something I will have to look into for my own curiosity.

Shane
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline H0  
#3 Posted : 15 November 2014 13:29:51(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
My question is: Does the booster change its overload detection to match the power supply that it is setup to use? Meaning that a setting at 60101 would tolerate a larger load than a setting at 60061, even though the power supply is a 60061.
That's why you select which power supply you have.

There was a time when the CS2 had different software versions - one for transformers (AC), one for DC power supplies. Different parameters for overload detection.

If the booster is set to turn off at 5 A (that's what you get with a 60101 setting) and you use a 3 A power supply, it's no surprise that the overload protection will be triggered with a delay.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0