Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Shamu  
#1 Posted : 10 November 2014 02:13:14(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Morning all,

I'm after suggestions as to what to do with 2 Bonn station kits. Due to the 2 eldest kids not talking to each other for over 10 years they both gave me the Bonn kits a few years back and I'm unsure what to do with them.

I would prefer to use them both so as not to upset either of them down the track and was thinking of making a "Franken-Bonn" out of the 2 of them. As I have 8 of the covered station platforms that will be in a 4x2 configuration that will give me a 1.7m covered 4 track mainline for a 2m overall station.

I have been thinking of splicing the 2 "wings" of the spare kit onto the ends of the outer sections of the original station to increase the length of the Bonn kit but that will leave a fair amount of leftovers. Mainly the centre pavilion. I briefly considered going "up", one kit grafted ontop of the other but quickly decided that would look plain stupid. Likewise tacking the leftover centre pavilion on top of the other would I imagine also look a tad odd.

Any and all suggestions gratefully accepted.

For those unfamiliar with the Kibri version here is the instruction manual.

http://www.viessmann-mod...ia/pdf/english/39373.pdf

Kibri Bonn Station PDF

As the .pdf is over 5Mb I have put the link in instead of wasting Forum space
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#2 Posted : 10 November 2014 04:03:08(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
It's certainly a big kit - about a metre long!

I'm faced with having to build mine, but only have one kit, so it will be built stock standard.

Do you have a through station or a terminal station? If a terminal station, you might be able to build it as a U shaped building.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Shamu  
#3 Posted : 10 November 2014 04:56:59(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi David,

Yes I had considered making a terminal station out of them and I think it would work out quite nice. I am very hesitant to do a terminal station as I just can't work out the logistics in my head for the track work. As 99.5% of my loco are steam I can only imagine using a gigantic wye to accommodate 6 coach passenger trains like they used to have at Brisbane Roma St station where the west bound long distance trains backed out into the marshalling yard before heading west. On rare occasions they would do the manoeuvre on arrival.

Otherwise a very messy set of points at the "nose" of the terminus and every time I have tried to make a usable setup (XTrkCAD/SCARM) I find I would need a least a meter and 3 tracks for every 2 platforms. Even using a pair of points for every 2 platforms and a 3 way point to access the centre track I'd still need a short wye (or turntable) to swap the engines around. Then there is the problem of some of the coach sets having tail lights at one end only.

LOL, I guess in a nutshell it will end up being a thru station.
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Shamu  
#4 Posted : 14 November 2014 02:12:10(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
OK, this is what I'm thinking of doing with a bit of judicious use of the dremmel.

I should end up with only the canter pavilion and 2 external end walls as leftovers from the 2 kits and hopefully will find a use for it somewhere. At a guesstimation it will run to about 1.6m in length, the same as the 4x2 covered platforms.

Its been too many years since I've had to deal with photo manipulation so this is the best I can come up with.... the parallax correction has escaped me completely.

Shamu attached the following image(s):
FrakenBonn.jpg
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2014 19:08:57(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Woot
Offline nevw  
#6 Posted : 15 November 2014 01:31:52(UTC)
nevw

Australia   
It is a monster and longer than my entire layout......

nev
NOt wearing the Pink Pinny, which is hard to see and now I have a white Pinny which also is hard to see against MY pure white Skin Still have 2 new shiny tin Hips that is badly in Need of Repair matching rusting tin shoulders
and a hose pipe on the aorta
Junior member of the Banana Club, a reformist and an old Goat with a Bad memory, loafing around
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by nevw
Online Ross  
#7 Posted : 15 November 2014 01:51:41(UTC)
Ross

Australia   
Hi Shane,

UserPostedImage

Don't forget to add LED lighting as you build it.

UserPostedImage

This is my combined Bond Station.

Have fun.
Ross
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Ross
Offline Shamu  
#8 Posted : 15 November 2014 02:38:58(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Hi Ross,

Great job you have done there, I had considered that option as well but didn't think I'd have enough left over parts to make anything useful out of the centre and end buildings. I figured this way I will use nearly all of both kits with the minimum of leftovers as well as almost match the length of the covered platforms.

Yes have a HUGE stockpile of leds for when construction starts.