Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 09 November 2014 17:56:15(UTC)
mb300e4m

Back 30 years ago when I was visiting Ottawa in Ontario, Canada, I was offered a box with some Marklin trains in it. The only thing that caught my eye was an SK800 with the tender. I purchased it on the spot and brought it back with me to Florida. I saw that it had a bent axle on the front driver wheel set, so I never ran it.

Well it is time to bite the bullet and repair it. It will entail removal of the running gear from both sides, removal of the wheel on the non-bent side then removal of the wheel on the bent end of the axle. Then comes the fun part, straightening the axle and re-assembly.

It might be easier for me to just purchase or make a replacement axle. Can anyone recommend a supplier? In any case the lok is on the workbench and will get dismantled today. In the picture you may notice that on the right side, the piston rod and connecting rod are missing. These were most likely damaged when the axle was bent, the lok was probably dropped by the original owner.

Here's a few pictures.
mb300e4m attached the following image(s):
PB095087.JPG
PB095088.JPG
PB095095.JPG
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline mb300e4m  
#2 Posted : 09 November 2014 19:58:44(UTC)
mb300e4m

Ouch! Now do I straighten this one or make another.

It just happens that the axle is exactly 2.5 mm thickness which by pure coincidence is the same as many of my older Trix Express lok axles. When re-wheeling older Trix Express, I used to try and re-use the original axles, but so often they would be damaged during the change process so I started making my own replacements using 2.5 mm drill rod.

Thank goodness the Marklin axles do not appear to be splined and should just be push fit. Here is a picture of the injured one.
PB095100.JPG
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline seatrains  
#3 Posted : 09 November 2014 20:44:45(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
mb, I went through similar hunt looking for "original" replacement parts for my ST 800 and this is my experience.
I found there may be folks on this list with replacement parts and you could get a personal mail from one of them. ebay Germany has some axles on it now.
Ritter and the ttn-shop also carry replacement parts. If you don't see what you need listed, you can always email and ask, because they do restorations and repairs. see links:
http://www.ritter-restau...y=1.3.9;artID=6543;typ=1
http://www.ttn-shop.com/...&lang=de&spur=H0
Your SK 800 is in very nice shape otherwise and keep us posted on your progress!BigGrin
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by seatrains
Offline mb300e4m  
#4 Posted : 09 November 2014 20:59:07(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post
mb, I went through similar hunt looking for "original" replacement parts for my ST 800 and this is my experience.
I found there may be folks on this list with replacement parts and you could get a personal mail from one of them. ebay Germany has some axles on it now.
Ritter and the ttn-shop also carry replacement parts. If you don't see what you need listed, you can always email and ask, because they do restorations and repairs. see links:
http://www.ritter-restau...y=1.3.9;artID=6543;typ=1
http://www.ttn-shop.com/...&lang=de&spur=H0
Your SK 800 is in very nice shape otherwise and keep us posted on your progress!BigGrin

Thanks for the links Seatrains. I have straightened the axle and now that wheel runs truer than all the others. Next comes re-assembly. I will search my parts for the missing rods, although the lok looks OK without them, at least the uninitiated will most likely not notice because of the shroud. Wink I will post some more pictures in a while.

Peter B.
Peter B.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline mb300e4m  
#5 Posted : 09 November 2014 22:13:24(UTC)
mb300e4m

She is all finished and tested, except for the missing connecting rod and piston rod. Anyone have one to spare?

Here are some more pictures.
PB095102.JPG
PB095104.JPG
PB095103.JPG
PB095105.JPG
PB095106.JPG
Peter B.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#6 Posted : 10 November 2014 16:08:24(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Well done MB300 for keeping this old girl alive.

Sometimes people on this forum can help and have the spare parts that you need.

Neil.
1950's Marklin Fan .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 20-VOLT-AC
Offline jvuye  
#7 Posted : 10 November 2014 16:13:46(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
She is all finished and tested, except for the missing connecting rod and piston rod. Anyone have one to spare?

Can you measure the length of that rod ?
I have one very similar to it except that it is a later version (probably from an F 800) , with a slightly different crosshead slider (Who cares? It's not visible anyway!!BigGrin )
Also has the valve gear connecting rod attached, but it is easy to pop the rivet that holds it to the crosshead.
After you do that, it is fully usable on port or starboard (left of right side)
If the right size, and you can live with a different crosshead style it's yours!(I'll even pop that rivet for you! Cool )
Cheers
jvuye attached the following image(s):
F800drive_rod.jpg
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline mb300e4m  
#8 Posted : 10 November 2014 17:32:17(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: 20-VOLT-AC Go to Quoted Post
Well done MB300 for keeping this old girl alive.

Sometimes people on this forum can help and have the spare parts that you need.

Neil.

Hello Neil,

I was a bit concerned about the condition of the wheel, but the only damage was to the flange which was a bit wonky. With the wheel in the vice, I gave it a few taps using a drift and a tiny hammer and it was fixed. It was fortunate that the wheel was not broken, fractured or bent.

I omitted to take a picture of the setup I used to straighten the axle, silly me. ThumbDown

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#9 Posted : 10 November 2014 17:43:18(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post

Can you measure the length of that rod ?
I have one very similar to it except that it is a later version (probably from an F 800) , with a slightly different crosshead slider (Who cares? It's not visible anyway!!BigGrin )
Also has the valve gear connecting rod attached, but it is easy to pop the rivet that holds it to the crosshead.
After you do that, it is fully usable on port or starboard (left of right side)
If the right size, and you can live with a different crosshead style it's yours!(I'll even pop that rivet for you! Cool )
Cheers

Hello Jacques,

I measured the one on the right hand side and it is exactly 40 mm and the piston rod is 30 mm so it will work for me. The same size as the one in your picture. The SK800 has separate valve linkage and is not connected to the crosshead.

Thanks for your very kind offer. Do let me know the price and cost of postage and I will be happy to send you some lolly via PayPal, no fees either.

Best regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#10 Posted : 10 December 2014 18:02:56(UTC)
mb300e4m

I recently received a set of rods all the way from France, for which I owe a BIG thank you to one of our members. BigGrin They have been installed and all is now well. ThumpUp The next time I have the portable layout installed, I will shoot some video and post it here.

Thanks also to all the members who offered suggestions and help. Here is a picture of the completed project.

Peter B.
PC105194.JPG
Peter B.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mb300e4m