Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline steventrain  
#1 Posted : 05 November 2014 15:09:13(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Wrote from other local forum.

Quote:
- with your collection presumably running into hundreds of models (some of them clearly very rare or one-of-a-kind), what arrangements will ye be making for the care of it "when the time comes"? Will it all go to a museum?

Comment welcome!
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Ian555  
#2 Posted : 05 November 2014 16:16:45(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

My CM800 and some M track will be coming with me, the forum members who have helped on my Marklin journey will each receive a nice Loco, and my 2 ( 3 next year ) grandsons will get the rest....job done.

Ian.

....and a generous donation to Marklin-User's.
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 05 November 2014 16:40:52(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I have a son and a daughter

When the time comes, hopefully not very soon, my son will inherit the collection, with the provision that those models he doesn't want will be sold on ebay and the proceeds given to my daughter. He has already indicated that he wll only keep those models he likes, so hopefully this will give both my kids an approximately equal inheritance.

If there are grandchildren involved by then I'll have to make different arrangements.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline jcrtrains  
#4 Posted : 05 November 2014 17:00:25(UTC)
jcrtrains

Canada   
The question I have been grappling with is how to ensure that the right engine goes with the right box. It is especially problematic when you have a lot of repeat engines; I have 23 Re 456's as an example. I know a local retailer who could do it but frankly he is older than I am. I am contemplating a detailed picture inventory and putting the picture and any additional description in each box.

My expectation is my wife or son would sell them.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jcrtrains
Offline Alsterstreek  
#5 Posted : 05 November 2014 17:14:19(UTC)
Alsterstreek

Germany   
Corporate strategy is based upon the elimination of excess ballast, rationalisation, quality optimization - thus a lean and mean collection which will not overwhelm people cleaning up after me. Same holds true for the layout: mobile and easy to disassemble, if needed.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Alsterstreek
Offline hxmiesa  
#6 Posted : 05 November 2014 18:10:57(UTC)
hxmiesa

Spain   
Well, I´m not even 50 year old yet, so I HOPE that this event is still some time off.

In the case of my UN-timely departure, I´ve explained to my wife that she should sell everything separatly on E-bay, each item in its original box. (I´ve only guarded the boxes of the rolling stock, though)
That would yield the maximum monetary return (I think). The problem is, that it would be quite a big job cleaning up after me...
None of my two daugthers are even remotely interrested in the trains.

In case of me departing at an old age, I really dont care too much. They can burn the house down for all I care.
Like Ray say; In case of interrested grand-children (in the far future -oldest daughter is only 12yo), I could make other arrangements...
Best regards
Henrik Hoexbroe ("The Dane In Spain")
http://hoexbroe.tripod.com
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by hxmiesa
Offline Robert Davies  
#7 Posted : 05 November 2014 19:35:40(UTC)
Robert Davies

United Kingdom   
This was something that was concerning me as I don't think either of my children will want to keep my Marklin - the money will be much more useful to them - and my wife would not know where to start in disposing of it. I agree with others that Ebay would seem to be the best place to sell it but how to describe it?

Expecting anyone with little interest or knowledge of model railways to sort this out for themselves is unreasonable, so I have tried to document everything, with pictures and history, to make their task as easy as possible. I have created an illustrated list in a ring-binder with everything shown in fine detail, including, for example, whether it has a box, what colour the box is and, if the boxes look identical, which item goes in which box.

That last bit sounds self-evident, but take the 4624 bogie hopper and its clones, for example. I have 45 of these - yes I love them - 3 x 15 wagon trains. The 'vanilla' 4624's are of three vintages, with subtle differences, but there is also one complete 00775 set, one complete 46255 set and some from other 00775's and 46255's. (This is one of the consequences of buying from Ebay!) Some have individual numbers and specific boxes, some go in blue boxes, some in white, and so on, and to get it ready to put on Ebay for re-sale and avoid the "Item substantially not as described" problem, I take the view that everything needs to be properly matched up.

Add in analogue locos converted to digital with no change of external appearance, the complexities of different signals, which look the same but work differently, the gazillion bits that go into overhead wiring etc. etc., and there is a real issue which I do not want to dump on my nearest and dearest when I depart.

It was a big job to do in the first place (it currently runs to 60+ pages and I don't consider that I have a large collection), but keeping it up-to-date now is relatively simple and I sleep a lot easier for having done it.
Robert
Era III - IV
2 x Central Station 2 v.2 (60214 + 60215)
Hardware versions 3.6 / 4.33
Software version 4.2.1 (0)
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Robert Davies
Offline Janne75  
#8 Posted : 05 November 2014 22:33:01(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I will turn 40 years in March so I think that hopefully there will be still many happy Märklin years for me. We have three sons who are at the moment 1 year, soon 4 year and soon 7 year old. I hope that at least one of them will be interested in these trains also when they get older and will keep them or at least a part of the collection.

When my sons will get older then some of these trains will be very old also. Something like 130-140 years old... For example F 800's made in the beginning of the 1950's are now around 60 years old. When my youngest son will be hopefully 80 years old in the year 2093 then they are 140 years old... I like old electric mechanical things like model trains. I'm sure these things will work after 80 years like they work now = perfectly.

So if my son(s) will stay interested in trains I'm very glad and they will get them when "the time comes for me" or possible before that. I really can't think of my wife trying to list or sell these "jewels" on eBay. If she does it is a disaster really... she is not interested in trains and does not appreciate them as much as they should be.

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline franciscohg  
#9 Posted : 05 November 2014 22:46:20(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
Hello, have been always so sad of hearing about collections being sold, the instruction to the kids have also been very clear:
If you like them, keep them, of course that is also valid for eventual future grandsons.
If not, give them to someone/s that love them as much as a i do, anf if you ever try to make a single penny selling them, i will no doubt return from the grave to pull your hair everynight.
Seriously, they are my beloved little toys, dont know how many of them i have nor its worth, they deserve to stay with an owner like that, you love them? they are yours.
Regards
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline DV  
#10 Posted : 05 November 2014 23:58:01(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Easy answer for me......I have four grandsons (7, 5, 4, 3 years old) who have been brought up on a diet of Thomas the Tank (wooden and dvd's), Märklin My World (they each have a set) and a continuous supply of youtube videos of mainly European trains (and 'Big Boys' every now and then) every time they come to visit, as well as playing with my 'temporary' layouts every chance they get. They are fully knowledgeable on train soundsBigGrin , how they operate, what types and countries (the youngest is still learning). - A story, the second youngest, in no uncertain terms, told his mother (my daughter) that the way she was coupling his My World diesel and carriages (after having to replace the batteries) was wrong, then proceeded to show her how it should be done, reverse the loco to the wagon to 'hook up', just like Deda (grandfather) showed him. So my 'brain washing'....errr teaching is working.

The two eldest are about to get their first sets (one with MS2, the other with Infrared) this Christmas, and the two youngest will get C track (including points) to expand their My World sets. The four year old is very quick in understanding and working his My World and his younger brother is not far behind. The older two, unfortunately live in Canberra (1300 kms), and we get to see them about twice a year, so I don't fully know how advanced they are, but I'm sure that when they get their sets, my job when we visit in the future, will be to build layouts with them.

Having grandsons has also helped immensely with FD/SWMBO in my Märklin purchases, and so far, there are no complaints from her about my buying spree (although I am quite confident she doesn't fully realizeBlushing how big it has been). And, finally being able to convince her to move out of 'Her Room' (it's bigger) and move into our son's room (smaller, and why does she need a room......she is a teacher.... I even built a swag of new book cases for all her 'stuff') so that I can build a layout in the house.....so that the boys can play inside no matter what the weather is.

By the time I'm gone the boys can decide how they are going to share the 'spoils'BigGrin, and I'm confident that they'll still be in 'trains'ThumpUp
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline Shamu  
#11 Posted : 06 November 2014 02:21:01(UTC)
Shamu

Australia   
Its something I have been thinking about more and more in the last year or so.

Being realistic I most likely only have another 15 or so years up my sleeve before I'm too old and silly (or plain dead) to do much with the trains.
Out of the 4 kids (3 boys,1 girl) only the youngest lad has shown a interest in the trains while the other 3 couldn't care less.

As the will stands at the moment all the train gear is to be split 4 ways between them, however with 9 grandkids (10th due in 5 weeks) I will have to rethink the distribution.

Now that I have finally given into SWMBO and agreed to sell up and move close to the bulk of the little ones I am hoping within a year or 2 I will have the new layout at the point that at least some of the grandkids will take a interest. I've also found that the argument with SWMBO that I "need" a lot of trains to fairly distribute amongst all the kids/grandkids has worked reasonably well this year, at least until I agreed to move.

If the kids don't take a interest then I am not really sure which way I will go.
I do NOT want them selling off all my choo-choo's to make a quick dollar. I would sooner leave it all to a "Marklin Club", the only problem with that is to the best of my knowledge there isn't one in the Rockhampton/Central QLD area. Lets face it, if there are more than a half dozen in the whole country I would be very surprised.

There is also the issue that has been raised by others about ensuring that the "right item goes in the right box".
I have thought of detailing identifying marks/numbers on the inside of the "box flaps" and maybe some sort of permanent discrete label on the underside of duplicates. Then again with duplicates I suppose it really wont matter all that much. It will be a problem with the "wagon packs" where there are similar wagons in single boxes that will be hard to tell what goes where.

Perhaps RFID labels inside the wagons might be a option worth investigating Confused

In the grander scheme of things I guess none of it really matters and I sure as hell won't be able to do anything about it once I snuff-it.

I just hope at least one or more of the progeny take enough of a interest and get the "Bug" and carry on the legacy.
With a bit of luck there will be a contest over who get the trains and I'll be able to blackmail at least one of them to look after me and the old chook to keep us out of the "old farts home".
Unfortunately at times I think we are the last generation to have "hands-on" model trains...... the younger ones would be happy with "Sim Trains/Railroad Tycoon" on the tablet. Hell I don't even know of anyone under 40 that still makes model kits of any sort. No wonder hobby stores are closing left, right and centre.

Bloody computers. Mad
Sad when its cheaper to buy a new 29640 starter set from Germany than a CS2 on its own in Oz, welcome to the joys of Marklin down under .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Shamu
Offline foumaro  
#12 Posted : 06 November 2014 04:09:14(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
To tell the truth i do not like this topic at all.BigGrin
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Ian555  
#13 Posted : 06 November 2014 10:52:28(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Hi all,

As our whole family live together, my oldest grandson is in the Train Room with Grandpa at least 3 or 4 times a week.

And as his interest is growing in the trains and everything else that goes to make up a model railway, I'm sure the collection will be in safe hands.

As he has only just turned 2 years old, as Dusan say's, I also, still have some work to do....Smile

Ian.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Ian555
Offline glight1  
#14 Posted : 06 November 2014 18:40:11(UTC)
glight1

United States   
As for me, the determining factor will be when my eyesight gets to the point where I won't be able to see the details of my models and layout. My father

was a passionate stamp collector and he developed macular degeneration. He sold his entire collection to a dealer as my sister and I did not share his

passion for that hobby. I think that was a wise decision on his part. Hopefully, I will have the foresight and mental acuity to do the same when the time

comes.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by glight1
Offline NewMB  
#15 Posted : 06 November 2014 22:05:16(UTC)
NewMB

Germany   
I guess time will tell when it's time to either: 1. Get rid of the collection and have a good time from the proceeds, or 2. leave it and let someone else care about it when one has "moved on"..... but I do prefer #1 as this way, it does not end up in the wrong place!

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by NewMB
Offline PJMärklin  
#16 Posted : 07 November 2014 13:01:30(UTC)
PJMärklin

Australia   
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
Easy answer for me......I have four grandsons (7, 5, 4, 3 years old) who have been brought up on a diet of Thomas the Tank (wooden and dvd's), Märklin My World (they each have a set) and a continuous supply of youtube videos of mainly European trains (and 'Big Boys' every now and then) every time they come to visit, as well as playing with my 'temporary' layouts every chance they get. They are fully knowledgeable on train soundsBigGrin , how they operate, what types and countries (the youngest is still learning). - A story, the second youngest, in no uncertain terms, told his mother (my daughter) that the way she was coupling his My World diesel and carriages (after having to replace the batteries) was wrong, then proceeded to show her how it should be done, reverse the loco to the wagon to 'hook up', just like Deda (grandfather) showed him. So my 'brain washing'....errr teaching is working.

The two eldest are about to get their first sets (one with MS2, the other with Infrared) this Christmas, and the two youngest will get C track (including points) to expand their My World sets. The four year old is very quick in understanding and working his My World and his younger brother is not far behind. The older two, unfortunately live in Canberra (1300 kms), and we get to see them about twice a year, so I don't fully know how advanced they are, but I'm sure that when they get their sets, my job when we visit in the future, will be to build layouts with them.

Having grandsons has also helped immensely with FD/SWMBO in my Märklin purchases, and so far, there are no complaints from her about my buying spree (although I am quite confident she doesn't fully realizeBlushing how big it has been). And, finally being able to convince her to move out of 'Her Room' (it's bigger) and move into our son's room (smaller, and why does she need a room......she is a teacher.... I even built a swag of new book cases for all her 'stuff') so that I can build a layout in the house.....so that the boys can play inside no matter what the weather is.

By the time I'm gone the boys can decide how they are going to share the 'spoils'BigGrin, and I'm confident that they'll still be in 'trains'ThumpUp

Hello Dusan,

Nice story.

Regards,

PJ
Offline utkan  
#17 Posted : 07 November 2014 13:34:27(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: foumaro Go to Quoted Post
To tell the truth i do not like this topic at all.BigGrin

Neither do I....BigGrin BigGrin
Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by utkan
Offline TrainIride  
#18 Posted : 07 November 2014 14:16:58(UTC)
TrainIride

France   
A think I was thinking of recently.

Well I still don't know.Due to the lack of interest of everyone around me.
Maybe the future kids of my kids will be one day interested.

I've asked the closest Model Train Museum to my home - with lots of old Märklin ,
If they could display my 1960's SNCF models , they said "We're full !"
Though I didn't see one of these kinds in their showcases, and there were some small place left.
Maybe too common..

So... Dunno....
Offline Ian555  
#19 Posted : 07 November 2014 14:59:36(UTC)
Ian555

Scotland   
Time waits for no man.....get it sorted.

mehmet, remember we had a discussion along these lines a few years back....that BR45 still has your name on it my friend.

All the best.

Ian.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Ian555