Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline leahcim  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2014 23:31:41(UTC)
leahcim

Australia   
I bought one of these infrared controls and base station because it was going cheap (new) and I wanted to be able to switch the lights on and off and use functions on my digital loco's which I couldn't do with the delta controller.
When I hooked it up no joy, they were unresponsive and made slight murmerings. I thought ah... maybe it only sends mfx and my digital loco's were made in the nineties and were mm2 at best. I've since learnt it sends mm2.
But then I thought wait on I think I used a feeder track with a capacitor which I had, so I replaced with feeder track without and tried again. Yay! Away she goes, both locos controllable 1 delta and one digital.
The joy was short lived and it stopped again after a minute. Check all connections, remove one loco and many other fault isolation attempts it came down to disconnecting the track at one point on the inner loop. I didn't try it in other spots but it just happens to be near the feeder track. Set both running again and things are good, except the inner line can't do a full loop due to break in track.
So I added a third rail insulator, rejoined and away again. I reasoned there will be a time when the slider shorts the two and will only be noticeable at slow speed.
However the affected zone is longer, 4 track lengths.
I'll attach a picture of the current configuration. It's a peculiar fault. I have tested for shorts in the lines but there are none. However there is a voltage drop when connecting the two pieces together on the inner loop. Disconnect them and back to normal again.
With no shorts in the system, I'm thinking perhaps the switch mode power supply rated 18va cannot handle this size track?
Or is there some sort of digital interference from the parallel loops of track? The feeder wires run under the outer loop tracks. Could this cause interference with metal tracks?
Analog, I've found is a lot more forgiving. if I am overlooking any of the rules to digital operation and it is clear could someone steer me in the right direction?

Layout

Excuse the "high performance sound deadeners", I know they are hard on the eyes.
Offline leahcim  
#2 Posted : 31 October 2014 02:56:03(UTC)
leahcim

Australia   
It appears to be the loco's themselves at fault. They both have the original ac motors with the early decoders. I think I'll call this problem solved.