Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline smurfillo  
#1 Posted : 26 October 2014 20:25:57(UTC)
smurfillo

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by smurfillo
Offline igf2  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2014 20:29:08(UTC)
igf2

Yes but true...
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2014 20:52:32(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I would like to have one of these, but it seems I have to win in the lotto to be able to get it. It looks like someone really wanted it when the price raised so high.

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#4 Posted : 27 October 2014 00:19:44(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Quite a good result. Based on the price and a quick look I thought this was a Version 1 here but seems to be a true Version 3 (some would consider Version 2). The box label suggests an earlier year closer to 1947 (Version 1) so I don't think this loco originally went with this box. Also all Version 3 locos I've seen come with the wood insert in the box instead of the cardboard insert. Looks like some rewiring and possibly some wheels were replaced by TTN shop as well.

The loco comes from a good seller but with the private bidding history it's hard to believe this result.

Best,

Paul

PS. Some might wonder how it's possible to tell that the frames are replica. I could tell because the surfaces are not 100% smooth as with original Marklin zinc die-cast. The newly produced frames are cast either from silicone molds or from the original die casting process (as I believe with TTN). Although if the steel forms are not heated before injecting the zinc and if the pressure is not correct, then you get small waves in the metal as most replicas have.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline smurfillo  
#5 Posted : 27 October 2014 09:30:48(UTC)
smurfillo

Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Quite a good result. Based on the price and a quick look I thought this was a Version 1 here but seems to be a true Version 3 (some would consider Version 2). The box label suggests an earlier year closer to 1947 (Version 1) so I don't think this loco originally went with this box. Also all Version 3 locos I've seen come with the wood insert in the box instead of the cardboard insert. Looks like some rewiring and possibly some wheels were replaced by TTN shop as well.

The loco comes from a good seller but with the private bidding history it's hard to believe this result.

Best,

Paul

PS. Some might wonder how it's possible to tell that the frames are replica. I could tell because the surfaces are not 100% smooth as with original Marklin zinc die-cast. The newly produced frames are cast either from silicone molds or from the original die casting process (as I believe with TTN). Although if the steel forms are not heated before injecting the zinc and if the pressure is not correct, then you get small waves in the metal as most replicas have.

Hi Paul:

I think like you that the loco was rewired and the motor solenoid and the wheels were replace (the original solenoid cooper should be red dark)

The box is from 1948/49 because I've got an ST 800 of that time with the same box type

My ST 800 is 100% original and run well but eventually needed a change of wheels to run according to circuit, in this CCS800 the problem was resolved :-)

Javier
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by smurfillo
Offline CCS800KrokHunter3  
#6 Posted : 28 October 2014 03:09:18(UTC)
CCS800KrokHunter3

United States   
Hi Javier,

You're certainly right the box is the right style. But I believe this version of the box was used only in 1947/48 and then a larger label was used. Here's a photo to describe:

UserPostedImage

Best,

Paul
File Attachment(s):
CCS800_boxes.png (1,303kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CCS800KrokHunter3
Offline smurfillo  
#7 Posted : 28 October 2014 09:51:48(UTC)
smurfillo

Originally Posted by: CCS800KrokHunter3 Go to Quoted Post
Hi Javier,

You're certainly right the box is the right style. But I believe this version of the box was used only in 1947/48 and then a larger label was used. Here's a photo to describe:

UserPostedImage

Best,

Paul

Paul:

In resume:

1) The box is original

2) Only 50% loco parts are original, the rest replicas

I can't believe somebody pay 7050 € (u$s 9000) for this item !!!

Best

Javier

Edited by user 28 October 2014 13:45:53(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by smurfillo
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#8 Posted : 29 October 2014 21:23:10(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Yes i agree , it is truly amazing what prices some collectors will pay , i would want to examine it for real " in person " before buying something like this .

Neil (UK)
1950's Marklin Fan .
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by 20-VOLT-AC
Offline seatrains  
#9 Posted : 30 October 2014 03:14:31(UTC)
seatrains

United States   
Neil, prior to the great recession, in 2008, or so a collector friend of mine sold TWO CCS 800's for over $10,000 US dollars each!
They were in original boxes, early versions and near perfect. I was stunned!Laugh
I could discern no zinc pest, frame cracking or reproduction parts, although I am not an expert.BigGrin
Thom
European Train Enthusiast - Pacific Northwest Chapter
4th Division, Pacific Northwest Region, National Model Railroaders Association
Offline 20-VOLT-AC  
#10 Posted : 30 October 2014 09:43:24(UTC)
20-VOLT-AC

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: seatrains Go to Quoted Post
Neil, prior to the great recession, in 2008, or so a collector friend of mine sold TWO CCS 800's for over $10,000 US dollars each!
They were in original boxes, early versions and near perfect. I was stunned!Laugh
I could discern no zinc pest, frame cracking or reproduction parts, although I am not an expert.BigGrin

Hello seatrain.

Yes these loco's are highly prized , if you have the money to spend then they are a good investment , when compared to some works of art ( paintings ) they seem good value !!!!

One day we will get lucky and find one at a low price , they are out there in the world.

There are many early Marklin locomotives with no zinc-pest and if they have survived this long , 50+ years they will be ok for the future as long as you store them in a dry conditions !

Many loks / locos were left in lofts for decades before the collector scene came about and damp air will cause corrosion in the alloys.

Neil.
1950's Marklin Fan .