Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JoeB  
#1 Posted : 25 October 2014 23:56:57(UTC)
JoeB

United States   
Hello, I am a newbie to Marklin and have some questions. I have the first phase of my track complete and looking to add signals and such. Looking to add the 74470 turnout lanterns to my turnouts which have the turnout mechanism and 74461 decoder. I was reading is a previous discussion from 2011 that the brown and yellow wire can be connected directly to the C-track for power, is this the case or is there a different way these need to be connected? Unfortunately the instructions with the lanterns or the Marklin wiring architecture does not help me much for this.

Also, what voltage do the LED street lights (72813 for example) operate at. I was looking to use a 120V to 3.3V 2.5Amp plug-in transformer for this, have had success with this transformer for other LED modeling projects.

Lastly if anyone knows a good location for help with Marklin wiring that would be great. I saw they are supposed to have a new wiring book out this year but not sure if it has been released yet.

Thanks for any help.
Offline Graham HO  
#2 Posted : 26 October 2014 01:44:26(UTC)
Graham HO

New Zealand   
Remember to fit a Current Limiting Resistor (820 Ohms) into the Yellow wire output before attaching to your LED Lights for test purposes. It could be that some on-line research will help you establish an optimum value Resistor for your 3.3 VDC output - it must be DC otherwise you will also need to include a small rectifier (polarity applies) into the supply wire to prevent 'flicker' in the LED. The output of your transformer should support about 300 - 500mA - each LED will draw about 10 - 15 mA. Be aware of polarity on the LED feed wire - positive supply to the Anode - negative to the Cathode, Good Luck.
Offline NZMarklinist  
#3 Posted : 26 October 2014 03:03:58(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Probably Graham HO was assuming you're running an analogue set up.

For digital you can connect the lights directly to the track, they have a rectifier in them, but I don't know how they like the reversing pulse from a Marklin AC transformer. However, for digital, if you have a lot of T/O lights you may want to consider an accessory transformer, so as not to rob your trains of traction power. Again that depends on what sort of Controller your using and it's power output as to what the ideal answer is Smile

As for your street lamps I think your transformer you mentioned may have to low an output but it won't hurt to try. These lamps have bulbs not LEDs, and are designed to work at 12-16v

Knowing what your Controller is will help in getting the correct advice Cool
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider
Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 26 October 2014 04:08:50(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I am using an old separate transformer for the street lights and all the accesories they have nothing to do with the digital operation of the layout.
Offline JoeB  
#5 Posted : 26 October 2014 05:29:48(UTC)
JoeB

United States   
Thanks for the help. I am using the MS2 and at this point in my layout I am only looking at 6 turnout lanterns.
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 26 October 2014 06:27:04(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
You should be able to run 6 turnouts lanterns off the track connections with no problems. Remember, we are talking about LED's here, they only draw about 20ma each, so 6 would be a total current draw of 120ma.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 26 October 2014 20:42:54(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Joe, welcome to the forum! ThumpUp

I have all my turnout lanterns powered from track power. There is over 20 of them and no problems at all. I use CS2 controller 60214. Like David wrote LED's don't draw much current. For other layout lights I have a separate transformer. All my Märklin Hobby series signals are powered with third separate transformer as they and their control boxes need that special IR (infra red) receiver equipped track piece powered with it's own transformer.

Cheers,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Renato  
#8 Posted : 27 October 2014 10:21:14(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Joe,

Welcome to the forum from me too.

Cheers

Renato