Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#1 Posted : 22 October 2014 23:19:56(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
I had fitted the mLD60962 decoder with the 60941 motor in my BR85 (3309) a few years ago - very happy with the result, and the loco is a joy to use, esp for shunting, with Telex.
I am thinking of fitting a sound decoder - would the 60965mSD be suitable? Some folk have said there's no space for a speaker in this loco? Others have said the Marklin decoders don't have sufficient volume..Confused
Any thoughts...
thanks, Joe
Offline Lollo  
#2 Posted : 23 October 2014 08:28:50(UTC)
Lollo

New Zealand   
Hi Joe,

I have 2 BR 85's as you describe, and both fitted with ESU Loksound. The ESU speakers are the standard ones that come with the decoders and are bigger than the Marklin ones, so the marklin mSD decoders will fit OK, also as they have 2 speakers in the kit you can best chose the one that fits best.

The volume issue can be over come by changing some individual sound slot CV's, but this can only be done if you set the decoder to DCC mode. I have done this with quite a few conversions I have done for other members of my club. Once you change the volume CV's under DCC, you can then set the decoder back to MFX.

Honestly, the ESU decoders still have superior sound. The marklin mSD are good value for the money, but imo they are not as good as ESU.
I have a couple of mSD diesel sound decoders, but my ESU decoders are far more realistic, and better volume.
The mSD standard sounds are very generic.
One of my diesel mSD decoders is programmed with a V160 sound file, but compared to my ESU V160 sound decoder, the ESU is far more prototypical.

It's horses for courses. Just depends on your budget and how fussy you are with prototype sounds.

The mSD decoders are good value & ESU offer superior sound and lots of sound files.

the other issue is you need a CS2 to take full advantage of updating Marklin mLD & mSD decoders & installing sound files on mSD. You also may need the Marklin decoder tool software & hardware.

So yes, the mSD decder will fit.

All the best,

Brian.
Brian
Yaasan's Desktop Station/Railuino & Marklin MS2, DB Era III/IV Diesel & Steam, ESU Loksound/Lokpilot & Lokprogrammer, Marklin mSD, Tam Valley Depot Octopus III Servo Controller.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Lollo
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#3 Posted : 23 October 2014 09:51:10(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Thanks for all the info Brian - what would be the relevant item number for the ESU Loksound decoders for the 3309? I buy from Modellbahnshop-lippe, and the current price for the Marklin mSD 60965 is about 67 Euro, Nett price.
I have read a number of reports on the forum bemoaning the rather generic sounds of the M sound decoders......I have 10 sound locos, (all Marklin, and bought new), and I must admit the sounds are indeed all pretty much the same!
I only have the MS2 60653...would this be an issue re the setting up of the ESU Loksound decoder?
Many thanks again, Joe
Offline BrandonVA  
#4 Posted : 23 October 2014 14:32:12(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   
Joe,

You can set DCC CVs using an MS2. You cannot do a lot to MFX. However, if you temporarily disable MFX as one of the protocols used by the MS2 in general, you should be able to talk to the loco just in MM or DCC. mLD/mSD decoders have a MM CV that lets you choose which protocols are active on the decoder (you can enable/disable MFX or DCC on the decoder itself, but you cannot disable MM).

I hope that makes sense.

Also, just to confirm what Brian has already said, Marklin did release an MFX version of htis tooling with an mSD sound decoder (Marklin 37098-01 and 37098-02), so I think a speaker should fit.

-Brandon
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA