Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Janne75  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2014 21:35:42(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

This 37540 was before very silent and smooth running loco, but it has started to get more and more noisy. I have a long acceleration/braking delay and when the loco starts or stops it jerks a little also.

It seems very tricky to open it as I took those two screws off which are holding the loco body. I was able to raise the front of the loco body, but the cabin side (back side) don't move. When I tried to figure it out from Märklin's websites exploded diagram it doesn't look to be an easy task to dismantle this very detailed loco Unsure . Many detail parts already felt off, but I managed to put them back in place.

This one is now in running condition, but as it is noisy I don't want to run it. If I'm unable to lubricate it's gears and worm drive then it will be a display case "queen" and I will buy another 37540 for layout running in the future. Best and cheapest way though would be to get this one serviced by myself.

Any tips or ideas how to get this done without sending it to Märklin? This is not an option as it will be very expensive.

Best regards,
Janne

Edited by user 21 October 2014 19:08:16(UTC)  | Reason: Problem solved

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline foumaro  
#2 Posted : 21 October 2014 04:32:17(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
If you cannot open this loco,how you will open the other one?If the service of the loco is a problem do not buy the loco untill you find the way to open her.Soon or later the other loco will need service,you will find the problem in front of you again.Just my opinion.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by foumaro
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 21 October 2014 05:54:18(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
I like how this loco looks and these ones can be found sometimes for quite low price. But there has to be some way to open this one without the need to send it to Märklin. These are mechanical things and everything should be possible to dismantle and put back together. If someone has ever done it for this type of locos please give me some tips how to do it.

Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline Goofy  
#4 Posted : 21 October 2014 07:01:39(UTC)
Goofy

Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
I like how this loco looks and these ones can be found sometimes for quite low price. But there has to be some way to open this one without the need to send it to Märklin. These are mechanical things and everything should be possible to dismantle and put back together. If someone has ever done it for this type of locos please give me some tips how to do it.

Janne

You can open the body by follow instruction,by choise correct screw to open.
There is two more screw which are for the motor.
That shall not been open!

H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Online H0  
#5 Posted : 21 October 2014 07:31:35(UTC)
H0

Hi, Janne!
Originally Posted by: Janne75 Go to Quoted Post
If someone has ever done it for this type of locos please give me some tips how to do it.
I haven't done it, but the manual for the Borsig edition shows three screws that have to be removed:
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/37545_betrieb.pdf

Explosion diagrams often are not helpful when it comes to opening a loco.
HTH
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Janne75  
#6 Posted : 21 October 2014 08:04:03(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Thank you very much for the info Goofy and Tom ThumpUp . Now as I can see there is that third flat head screw which has to be removed I can also see why it was so difficult to open... as I have put a sticker with this locos digital address "55" over that screw and could not see it anymore! RollEyes I knew I should not open that cross head screw in the middle and it was not touched. Now it should be easy to open it and get it lubricated. This is a wonderful looking very detailed loco. It is great to get it back to smooth and silent running. Again this forum helped me Smile .

Cheers,
Janne
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Janne75  
#7 Posted : 21 October 2014 19:23:09(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Just an update. I removed my locos digital address sticker and under that there was third screw. I removed all flat head screws and then it was easy to remove the loco body. This loco has different lubricating points than in the .pdf file which link Tom posted earlier. I think Märklin has changed the mechanic design for their newer models. I can't see inside of the loco chassis, but it seems like this loco has only one axle powered by gears and other axles are moved by siderods.

I lubricated the gears with a RC car gear lube and put it back together. It was better, but not perfect. I took my similar design French 37552 SNCF Serie 040 D and compared the running noise. 37552 was definitely much better, silent and smooth running. Then I took this 37540 body off again and put even more gear lube. I had already rotated the gears earlier and greased the gears from all teeths. Then after this second attempt I put it again back together. Now it is maybe the most silent and smoothest running loco I have! ThumpUp Even better than 37552 and many more. It can run VERY slowly even when pulling a long freight train. Slider and wheels are the only things where comes small noise/sound. This lubricating was definitely a success! Smile

Regards,
Janne
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline Renato  
#8 Posted : 21 October 2014 19:58:23(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Janne,

Glad to know everything went well.

Enjoy your most silent and smooth-running loco.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Renato