Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Cyborg  
#1 Posted : 20 October 2014 07:21:33(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi all,

my first post in ages, but have been reading them every day!.
I bought my first steam engine, a BR41 MFX+ 37923 about a month ago. My layout consists of diesel freight trains and a couple of electric commuter railcars and an ICE. Therefore I was very excited about adding a steam locomotive for 'tourist runs' around my layout. My excitement turned to misery yesterday when the 'Gestänge links' broke off from the wheel as the locomotive was running around my layout. It appears that the screw attaching the 'link' to the wheel has broken off leaving part of it in the wheel.

I have looked at the parts list and obviously these parts can be replaced but it looks like a fairly complicated task and the screws look like they need a special tool to tightened them into the wheel. Whilst I know it is covered under warranty, sending it back to Germany is quite costly. I have contacted the store I bought it from, MSL to see what they can do to help. In the past they have been very helpful when items I bought from them have failed as far as arranging returns. I await their response when they open today.

Has anyone here had a similar failure on a new Locomotive? I have attached some photos to show the problem.

regards

Paul

Cyborg attached the following image(s):
2014-10-18 14.41.18.jpg
2014-08-16 13.53.58.jpg
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 20 October 2014 08:01:55(UTC)
H0

Hi, Paul,

I'm sorry to see you're having a problem.

The fault is with "Gestänge rechts" (right side), not "links" (left).

I can't see enough details on your picture, but I think the new locos have a plastic part that is just clipped in. I can't tell from your picture whether it just came off or got broken. Still looks like a long peg.
The peg won't be round and it can be pushed in in just a certain position.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Cyborg  
#3 Posted : 20 October 2014 08:27:53(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Thanks for the quick reply Tom, it definitely is broken. If it is just a peg that pushes in, that should make the repair a lot easier, they just might send me the new peg and I can do it myself. The parts list has them as 'Sechskantanschraube' whatever that means. I think if they are in fact plastic, that is a bit flimsy from my recent experience with the short service life.
Offline Dave Banks  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2014 10:09:26(UTC)
Dave Banks

Australia   
Hi Paul, if it is plastic yes I can believe it will break if there is the slightest misalignment or tight spot. Bring on the old one's with real screws when Marklin was really Marklin. Try to repair yourself if you can. Sending back will be an expensive exercise but note the part you are after is #25 Gestänge rechts E233 574 @ EUR29.50 & is expensive & this may be the reason you want to send it back under warranty. Pin is not sold separately by the looks of the diagram.

Dave on the Gold Coast...
D.A.Banks
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Dave Banks
Offline Cyborg  
#5 Posted : 20 October 2014 11:15:08(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
G'day Dave, thanks for the info. As I bought it from MSL, I'm hoping they'll look after me. In the past they have been great in arranging spares under warranty costing me nothing. Their customer service is fantastic. Hopefully they get back to me today. I am a bit concerned about the design and longevity of the plastic parts on this locomotive though. It was just going through a left hand curved turnout when it broke. It probably has only had half an hour use all up. Hopefully a one off!

Regards Paul
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 20 October 2014 11:58:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
This sort of thing never happened with "old Marklin" because all the running gear was grossly overscale and built for strength, not accuracy.

Unfortunately some of the new locos have parts which are prone to breaking. Marklin need to keep an eye on the materials being used on the most stressed parts of the running gear to avoid breakages like this.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Cyborg  
#7 Posted : 20 October 2014 12:34:00(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi Ray,

Yes it is a pity that their standards seemed to have dropped. Anyway, good news, as expected, MSL got back to me and will pay return postage and forward the loco to Marklin for repair. I guess I'll see it back in 6 months, what a pain and disappointment!

Paul
Offline RayF  
#8 Posted : 20 October 2014 12:53:01(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Good luck, and I hope you get it back quickly!

BTW, I don't think they have dropped standards overall, because their standards for accuracy and detail are way higher than they have ever been. I believe they are now a bit less reliable because they don't over-engineer their trains the way they used to. Hopefully they will get through the learning curve for this newer, less over-engineered production and at least ensure that the materials will take the stresses demanded of them for a reasonable life time.
Ray
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#9 Posted : 20 October 2014 14:05:40(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
The parts list has them as 'Sechskantanschraube' whatever that means.
There is #5 "Schraube", #6 "Sechskantansatzschraube", and #7 "Sechskant-Ansatzschraube".

These are metal screws with hexagonal heads. Close inspection of loco and diagram will reveal that those screws are used for the other three axles.

It's good to have such a screw at axle #4 so you can replace the traction tyre.

It's completely different for the third axle where the rod from the cylinder ends - the rod that came off with your loco. You can check the left side of your loco: there shouldn't be a hexagonal metal screw at this axle.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline kiwiAlan  
#10 Posted : 20 October 2014 14:08:47(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Nigel mentioned having this happen on another loco recently (not a Br41), and was warning someone else to get theirs looked at when they were mentioning that the rods appeared to be binding.

Can't remember which thread it was in though, perhaps someone else can provide the link to it.

It is worrying though if it appears that Marklin has changed its production process and is now having reliability problems as a result...

Offline Janne75  
#11 Posted : 20 October 2014 15:18:23(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi Paul, all,

I bought another new style Märklin steam locomotive as a project many months ago (37915 Insider DB BR 03.10). It had this kind of problem and I ordered new parts. I´m not sure if this BR 41 has the same type of parts, but 37915 had a metal part which was just pushed in. When I removed the broken part I had to use small pliers to press it together from the back side to be able to pull it out of the wheel. New part was just pushed in and kind of locked in place, because it can expand a little when it has got through the hole in the wheel etc.

Edit: Are you sure you have any broken parts as to me it looks like the part has just popped out and needs to be pressed in. Just snap it back in and don´t forget to put that siderod back between the part and the wheel. I may be wrong, but for me it just looks like it has got loose.

I´m sorry I can´t really explain this better as I´m not a native English speaking person.

Is your part plastic or metal? In that 37915 it is metal. Märklin has chosen those new style parts as they look more realistic than basic bolts and nuts. This is the price we pay when we want our models to be more realistic looking.

Regards,
Janne
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline RayF  
#12 Posted : 20 October 2014 15:38:35(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post
Nigel mentioned having this happen on another loco recently (not a Br41), and was warning someone else to get theirs looked at when they were mentioning that the rods appeared to be binding.

Can't remember which thread it was in though, perhaps someone else can provide the link to it.

It is worrying though if it appears that Marklin has changed its production process and is now having reliability problems as a result...

We were writing about my 37166 which makes clicking noises on R1 curves. I have the mechanically identical 37165 Br94 which does not make the noise, so I want to compare them to see what is making the difference.
Ray
Offline steventrain  
#13 Posted : 20 October 2014 17:47:52(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
I think the coupling rod stuck with red brake and rod came off?

I have the same on 37160 did came off but I manage to fix it.

Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline kiwiAlan  
#14 Posted : 20 October 2014 17:50:56(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: kiwiAlan Go to Quoted Post

We were writing about my 37166 which makes clicking noises on R1 curves. I have the mechanically identical 37165 Br94 which does not make the noise, so I want to compare them to see what is making the difference.

Yes, that was the one, I remembered as soon as you pointed out the clicking noise.

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kiwiAlan
Offline RayF  
#15 Posted : 20 October 2014 18:41:30(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Stephen has pointed out it may be catching on the brake shoes. I'll check it out.
Ray
Offline Janne75  
#16 Posted : 20 October 2014 18:50:19(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
Hi,

I just took three photos of my newer generation steam locomotives. Photo quality is not very good as I took them with iPad. Anyway you can see from them that all have this same type of metal part going into wheel without any bolts or nuts.

DB BR 41 (37927):
UserPostedImage

DB BR 03.10 (37915):
UserPostedImage

DB BR 39 (39390):
UserPostedImage

Regards,
Janne

Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Janne75
Offline steventrain  
#17 Posted : 20 October 2014 20:49:15(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Post 2012 new 39016/39017 BR01 coupling rod without metal 'nut' on center deiving wheels (see first picture).

The 2006-2011 models BR01 Ref number 39010-39015 came with metal 'nut' (see 2nd picture).

39016/17 service sheet have error as shown 'Nut' on list. I hope Marklin is point out error on service sheet.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline Cyborg  
#18 Posted : 21 October 2014 04:37:43(UTC)
Cyborg

Australia   
Hi again,

just an update, the piece is definitely plastic and the pin that goes into the wheel has broken off. The locomotive is now on the way back to Germany for repair. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to come back. Disappointing!

regards

Paul
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Cyborg
Offline steventrain  
#19 Posted : 21 October 2014 10:34:05(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Cyborg Go to Quoted Post
Hi again,

just an update, the piece is definitely plastic and the pin that goes into the wheel has broken off. The locomotive is now on the way back to Germany for repair. I guess I'll just have to wait for it to come back. Disappointing!

regards

Paul

Do not be worry - You still have warranty on it.