Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline cookee_nz  
#1 Posted : 18 October 2014 05:18:08(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
Ever since I was born there have been trains in my life. I have two older brothers and my Dad found in them a good reason to pursue this hobby.

After moving house a couple of times my Dad set about rebuilding a small layout and a work-colleague and friend (Bert) was also an amateur movie-buff and he offered to film Dad's progress.

Sadly my Dad passed away before the editing was complete and Bert lost interest until I contacted him and asked what stage the film was at which gave him renewed interest in completing it.

As best I can recall the film was shot roughly around 1982 give or take and it was completed in the mid-late 80's.

My Dad's modeling techniques were nowhere near the high quality many of you will be used to seeing here, but he had a very limited budget and was completely self-taught yet my childhood memories of a previous much larger layout were of a layout that did exactly what it was intended to do and that was to provide enjoyment, entertainment and along the way a few useful skills (such as wiring and soldering).

Dad's technique was a mix of styles, mainly Papier-mâché ('paper mache' to us heathens) but sometimes plaster of paris supported by wire-netting, with the relief built from blocks of wood, old boxes etc. Painting was usually simple water-colours but also use of materials such as Lichen, natural trees made from small twigs, branches etc.

The layout itself is mainly Tri-ang / Hornby, with Faller kits and note it was built based on a Faller trackplan (I still have that book). You can imagine I was thrilled to see that the inaugural test-run was done with his prized Hamo "Le Capitole" (8359) which I now also have and have commented on previously in other threads. I was also amused to see some movement simulated aka 'claymation' in a couple of scenes.

I think the entrance with one small-ish box of items was more for effect because you can be sure there was a lot more material than is shown in the film. I still have all the old Faller structures (some worse for wear), the figurines, animals etc and they take quite a bit more space than is portrayed. The old Meccano magazines shown often contained articles of interest to railway modelers.

The quality of the video is as would be expected, originally 8mm, then transferred to VHS and then via my middle-aged Sony Handycam to Digital8 and then to PC for upload to Youtube and I also note that there are some potential playback restrictions due to the soundtrack. Hopefully this won't cause any issues.

Naturally this is a very treasured memory for our family and I felt it worth sharing here as a very direct link to my own start in the hobby as a child. The nickname 'Tuk' comes from his very long involvement with the Boy Scout & Girl Guide Associations that he and my Mum were both active in.

Steve

Edited by user 19 October 2014 03:02:39(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 14 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline SNAFU  
#2 Posted : 18 October 2014 05:52:24(UTC)
SNAFU

Australia   
Hi Steve

Thanks for sharing what must be a very special memory of your dad.
Tony
Curiosity hasn't killed this cat yet.
Offline Johnvr  
#3 Posted : 18 October 2014 08:57:43(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Thanks for sharing the history with us.
A real down memory lane recording.

Regards,BigGrin
John
Offline utkan  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2014 09:53:40(UTC)
utkan

Turkey   
A meaningful film....I love it....Love Love

Thanks for sharing.....ThumpUp

Do unto others, as you would have them do unto you...
Offline cookee_nz  
#5 Posted : 19 October 2014 03:24:28(UTC)
cookee_nz

New Zealand   
For anyone interested, I've pasted here the Faller track plan of the layout that was used, it's quite an interesting design, especially with the optional extension. Dad had to make some compromises due to track differences, no double-slip for example and radius differences but these things are quite forgivable among modelers.

The track plan is taken from one of Faller's early 60's books 840/E "Scenic Layout Plans" (large format).
cookee_nz attached the following image(s):
Layout4&5extn.jpg
Cookee
Wellington
NZ image
thanks 7 users liked this useful post by cookee_nz
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 19 October 2014 04:38:09(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
Originally Posted by: cookee_nz Go to Quoted Post
As best I can recall the film was shot roughly around 1982 give or take and it was completed in the mid-late 80's.

Well, the Ganz Mavag units featured at the end of the movie were introduced in 1983, if that helps!

Thanks for sharing this movie Cookee, some great memories for you there!

Looking forward to seeing Tim's video of his Black Forrest layout at our December Clubnight.
Offline ROBMODEL  
#7 Posted : 19 October 2014 11:51:51(UTC)
ROBMODEL

Netherlands   
Thanks Cookee for sharing this film. It certainly is memory lane for me also. Kind regards, Rob
Offline sjlauritsen  
#8 Posted : 19 October 2014 21:36:10(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
Thanks for sharing!

You mention the quality of the layout, to me it also has something to do with what was available at the time. I think the film gives an impression on what model railway construction was all about in the 70'es and 80'es. I remember some of my first models to be far more simple than what is possible today.

This movie is a piece of model railway history. Smile
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline Yumgui  
#9 Posted : 19 October 2014 21:47:31(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Just great !

Very cool anims in 8mm, both your Dad and your Dad's friend were certainly very motivated ...

Thx a lot,

Y ThumpUp
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.