Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline gcanton  
#1 Posted : 02 October 2014 22:14:17(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
I believe from trawling the internet that I am not alone in these failing. In my case I have 3 of them and they were fine until I tried to turn the lights on and they quickly failed as short circuit. It has meant I have a use for the Maxi decoders I have replaced over the years but was too mean to just throw away and too lazy to Ebay. However this forum is for real Marklin users and more trustworthy than the wider internet so I was asking 2 questions, firstly are these decoders as unreliable as I found them, and secondly I can share my research on using the Maxi basic decoder if it is of interest to anybody to get the connections and levels correct. By adding a capacitor I hope to reduce the flicker and so a simple diode for safety, resistor to current limit and capacitor seems to work well but is due for refinement this weekend when the correct components arrive. I am confident I did not over voltage them as I use an ECos and reduce the voltage to 16 to keep the Maxi smoke units alive a bit longer and my outdoor track is a branchline not a race track so any loss of speed does not matter, in fact is useful when little people visit and confuse railway and Scalextric. If they are this fragile are marklin replacing them? I know but you must ask.

Graham
Offline Standby  
#2 Posted : 03 October 2014 02:52:40(UTC)
Standby

Originally Posted by: gcanton Go to Quoted Post
I believe from trawling the internet that I am not alone in these failing. In my case I have 3 of them and they were fine until I tried to turn the lights on and they quickly failed as short circuit. It has meant I have a use for the Maxi decoders I have replaced over the years but was too mean to just throw away and too lazy to Ebay. However this forum is for real Marklin users and more trustworthy than the wider internet so I was asking 2 questions, firstly are these decoders as unreliable as I found them, and secondly I can share my research on using the Maxi basic decoder if it is of interest to anybody to get the connections and levels correct. By adding a capacitor I hope to reduce the flicker and so a simple diode for safety, resistor to current limit and capacitor seems to work well but is due for refinement this weekend when the correct components arrive. I am confident I did not over voltage them as I use an ECos and reduce the voltage to 16 to keep the Maxi smoke units alive a bit longer and my outdoor track is a branchline not a race track so any loss of speed does not matter, in fact is useful when little people visit and confuse railway and Scalextric. If they are this fragile are marklin replacing them? I know but you must ask.

Graham

Hi Graham,

I hope this will be of some help, I have dealt with Marklin service over a long period of time now and I have always had a good outcome. I did run the decoder through a scope but I could not identify a fix and decided to call Marklin.

I bought a couple of these Cars about a year ago and the lights all failed to operate correctly, in my case the lights when turned on just kept flickering. I called Marklin and they were immediately upfront about this and explained that they were aware of this problem on some of the decoders. Apparently a faulty production run. They offered to replace the decoders, at no cost, if I sent the Cars back to them.

As I was explaining this was not an option, he cut in ( I can only guess he must have been looking at my membership and noticed where I live ), and offered to post the replacement decoders to me as long as I was comfortable replacing them myself, which I did. The decoders actually came with a connection diagram.

All the best,

Glenn.
Offline gcanton  
#3 Posted : 03 October 2014 15:44:51(UTC)
gcanton

United Kingdom   
Good news, email sent!

Thank-you.

Graham