Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mb300e4m  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2014 21:59:19(UTC)
mb300e4m

I started a thread recently in “Me and my trains forum” about a Marklin 28506 Rheingold set that I recently purchased. Here is a link to the page.

https://www.marklin-user...gold-Set.aspx#post467670

Discussion of delta and digital power systems had crept into the thread. The set loco is equipped to use a Conventional, Delta or Digital power supply. To this point in time, my total experience has been strictly as an AC and DC collector and operator. So because I know absolutely nothing of any consequence about either delta or digital, I felt I should post a new topic in the Digital forum and ask questions here about delta and digital systems.

This is my first venture beyond AC and DC; how far I will go with delta and digital remains to be seen? I do not have an exclusively Marklin layout, mine is equipped and built to run AC and DC with two and three rail locos and rolling stock of various manufactures.

I did pick up a copy of the Digital Special issue of the Marklin magazine, but I will need to have it translated into English.

I see quite a few Marklin 6001 and other transformers and 66045 delta controllers for sale on ePay and elsewhere. Would anyone care to express an opinion on these? If I had a 66045 controller, could I use a blue Marklin transformer for the power supply instead of a 6001 for example? Confused

Peter B.
Peter B.
In Sunny Florida most of the time.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2014 22:17:28(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mb300e4m Go to Quoted Post
If I had a 66045 controller, could I use a blue Marklin transformer for the power supply instead of a 6001 for example? Confused
Yes.
Do you have any digital "DC" locos? A 66045 would be a bad choice with respect to using both two-rail and three-rail tracks. And also with respect to modern decoders that no longer have DIP switches for address selection.

I wouldn't spend more than just a few bucks for a Delta Control. My digital MRR experience started with a Delta Control 66045 - but that was 10 years ago.

An MS2 from a split starter set would be my recommendation.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline mb300e4m  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2014 23:32:58(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
If I had a 66045 controller, could I use a blue Marklin transformer for the power supply instead of a 6001 for example? Confused
Yes.
Do you have any digital "DC" locos? A 66045 would be a bad choice with respect to using both two-rail and three-rail tracks. And also with respect to modern decoders that no longer have DIP switches for address selection.

I wouldn't spend more than just a few bucks for a Delta Control. My digital MRR experience started with a Delta Control 66045 - but that was 10 years ago.

An MS2 from a split starter set would be my recommendation.

Hi Tom,

I do not have any digital “DC” locos. Strictly analogue AC and DC up to now except for the 28506 set.

Why is a 66045 a bad choice for me? I only run my trains on a portable sectional layout which I take to shows and not on a permanent layout. The layout has two main loops that are interconnected but totally isolated from each other. I am using Trix Express track because I can run both coarse and fine scale wheels and two or three rail.

I run two trains one on each loop at the same time, each with its own dedicated power supply. Either loco could be DC or AC, two or three rail it does not matter which type runs with which because they are totally isolated from each other and powered independently. If I run strictly Trix express, I can run two on each loop because the center rail is the common in this case. In this case each pair would be either AC or DC.

I am not too concerned with modern decoders at this time, as most of my interest lies with older trains. If I ever get into more modern stuff, I could upgrade power supplies then. But I would like to be able to run the 28506 as a minimum using a delta controller. If I cannot find a suitable controller soon, for a reasonable price, I shall run the set in conventional mode. After all that is what I do now, and I have several hundred locos of all sorts of makes and vintages.

I’ll wager that there is at least one forum member that has a Delta controller gathering dust somewhere.

Best regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.
Marklin, Trix Express, Trix Twin, Fleischmann, Liliput, Hornby Dublo, and Others, 2 & 3 Rail, AC, DC and Digital, Course Scale Wheels & Fine, 1935 to 1960s usually.
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 25 September 2014 07:53:30(UTC)
H0

Why is a 66045 a bad choice for me?
With a Delta Control you are able to control up to five locos on the same track and the same electrical circuit. No advantage with just one train.
With a Delta decoder, there is no advantage over analogue operation.

If you ever buy a loco from 2004 or later you will not be able to change the address of the loco - and most likely you won't be able to use it with the 66045 unless you have its address changed with a different controller.

If you're sure you'll stick to items from 2003 and earlier, then go ahead and try the Delta Control. You'll need a 37xxx loco to fully experience the advantages of digital operations such a controllable headlights and load regulation. But if the loco comes with "bells and whistles", you will find that the Delta Control cannot control these functions.
That was my experience when I bought my first loco with long-distance headlights and whistle sound back when I was running trains with my Delta Control.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 25 September 2014 08:35:33(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Peter,

From your description of your layout there is absolutely no benefit to running your 28506 with a delta controller over running it in analogue mode. The main advantage of using digital technology is the ability to run multiple trains on one track, so unless you buy more Delta or digital trains there is absolutely no point. In fact, most Delta locomotives run better in analogue mode than in digital, in my experience.

If you are serious about running digital I suggest you need to decide on one format, either DC or AC, and then buy a starter set which will include the right trains, track and controller. Buying a Marklin starter set will allow you to also use your 28506 as well.

The 66045 controller was a great introduction into digital at the time. It could do a lot of what the main digital controller (6021) could do, but without the "bells and whistle" as Tom put it, and restricting you to only 5 addresses. I used mine for a few years until the introduction of programmable decoders in new locos forced me to move to a 6021. Today I use a MS2 to benefit from the mfx technology in new locomotives.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline mb300e4m  
#6 Posted : 25 September 2014 16:01:47(UTC)
mb300e4m

Thanks Tom and Ray,

At least in the short term and/or until I learn more and have the need to move into the world of serous digital, I shall most likely run my 28506 loco in conventional mode. My show layout is not [yet] big enough to run more than one train on each circuit; they would risk bumping into each other while chasing the others tail. I don’t mind if the lights, bells and whistles do not work, and neither will the audience…they are more interested in running.

Although this and other discussions tell me that my old blue Marklin transformers need to be relegated to the scrap pile, but that means I will need to seek out a 6646 or similar. Anyone have one they could spare, for a price of course? I assume a 6646 will power older Marklin locos, the ones with the electro-mechanical reversers.

This leads me to another question and probably another forum post about the differences between the 6646 and older blue transformers.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#7 Posted : 25 September 2014 16:42:47(UTC)
mb300e4m

Thanks Tom and Ray,

At least in the short term and/or until I learn more and have the need to move into the world of serous digital, I shall most likely run my 28506 loco in conventional mode. My show layout is not [yet] big enough to run more than one train on each circuit; they would risk bumping into each other while chasing the others tail. I don’t mind if the lights, bells and whistles do not work, and neither will the audience…they are more interested in running.

This and other discussions tell me that my old blue Marklin transformers need to be relegated to the scrap pile, so that means I will need to seek out a 6646 or similar. Anyone have one they could spare, for a price of course? I assume a 6646 will power older Marklin locos, the ones with the electro-mechanical reversers.

This leads me to another question and probably another forum post about the differences between the 6646 and older blue transformers.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline BrandonVA  
#8 Posted : 25 September 2014 17:18:06(UTC)
BrandonVA

United States   

Although this and other discussions tell me that my old blue Marklin transformers need to be relegated to the scrap pile, but that means I will need to seek out a 6646 or similar. Anyone have one they could spare, for a price of course? I assume a 6646 will power older Marklin locos, the ones with the electro-mechanical reversers.

Peter,

6646 should work with all locos, it's just an updated transformer that puts out a lower voltage reverse pulse. If you watch eBay sometimes you get can a 6646 for cheap (sometimes not), I got one for around $30 USD a couple of years ago. You could also look for a starter set equipped with one, but most starter sets on ebay (IMO) tend to show up overpriced, or are a bit worn as they were played with as we all did with ours when we were kids. Marklin 1 gauge also used this transformer to analog control, so maybe some options there. You can still buy them new, but of course you pay the dealer price (I see about $120 at euromodeltrains.com for example).

You could also measure the reverse plus issued by your copy of your blue tranfo to see if it's high or not.

-Brandon

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by BrandonVA
Offline mb300e4m  
#9 Posted : 26 September 2014 01:52:23(UTC)
mb300e4m

Originally Posted by: BrandonVA Go to Quoted Post

Peter,

6646 should work with all locos, it's just an updated transformer that puts out a lower voltage reverse pulse. If you watch eBay sometimes you get can a 6646 for cheap (sometimes not), I got one for around $30 USD a couple of years ago. You could also look for a starter set equipped with one, but most starter sets on ebay (IMO) tend to show up overpriced, or are a bit worn as they were played with as we all did with ours when we were kids. Marklin 1 gauge also used this transformer to analog control, so maybe some options there. You can still buy them new, but of course you pay the dealer price (I see about $120 at euromodeltrains.com for example).

You could also measure the reverse plus issued by your copy of your blue tranfo to see if it's high or not.

-Brandon

Hi Brandon,

I am still looking for a 6646 transformer; I will keep looking. In the mean time I took one of my many Blue transformers and ran some tests on it. It was a 6153. Using a Simpson S260 analogue meter and a digital meter, the following voltages were found.

Analogue
Lowest speed setting: 0 VAC
Highest speed setting: 17 VAC
Reverse pulse: 27 VAC

Digital
Lowest speed setting: 8.1 VAC
Highest speed setting: 17 VAC
Reverse pulse: 27 VAC

I was not surprised at the digital reading of 8.1 VAC at the lowest speed setting, the digital meter reads 3 VAC with only one lead connected. I really don't trust digital multi-meters, they can be misleading at times.

I need to look up the specs on the 6603 module to check its operating voltage and tolerance level.

Tomorrow the cover is coming off the same 6153 transformer to see what is inside. It is most likely built similarly to some other non digital transformers with no electronic components what so ever. I need to find out where the reversing power is tapped off the secondary. Then if I need to reduce the reversing voltage pulse, it should be a piece of cake for a retired (read retarded) inventor to change it.

Best regards,

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#10 Posted : 29 September 2014 17:29:44(UTC)
mb300e4m

Here is a picture of a 6153 internals. The next task is to separate the internals from the base plate so that I can see where the reversing pulse is tapped off the secondary.

Does anyone know the value of the AC reversing pulse generated by a 6646 transformer? That would be a big help. Also, if the 6153 is not easily modified, I could disable its reversing mode and use a separate AC transformer with the right secondary output and an NC push button. This would save me spending over $120 or more for a 6646 on ePay. BigGrin

Peter B.
mb300e4m attached the following image(s):
P9294965.JPG
Peter B.
Offline H0  
#11 Posted : 29 September 2014 18:33:48(UTC)
H0

Does anyone know the value of the AC reversing pulse generated by a 6646 transformer?
The nominal value is 24 V - and I measured about 25 V with my 6647 transformers.

Nominal value is 23 V with two of my blue transformers - and I measured about 31 V with one of them.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline mb300e4m  
#12 Posted : 29 September 2014 19:32:26(UTC)
mb300e4m

Does anyone know the value of the AC reversing pulse generated by a 6646 transformer?
The nominal value is 24 V - and I measured about 25 V with my 6647 transformers.

Nominal value is 23 V with two of my blue transformers - and I measured about 31 V with one of them.

Thanks very much Tom for the information. I measured 27 volts AC from two Blue ones using two different VOMs. So if I limit the reversing pulse to maximum 24 volts AC, I should be alright and not do any damage to the 6603 module.

I have a very large Power Supply on the shelf in my shop [which I use mostly for testing purposes] that has variable AC [and DC] output. I shall do some testing with the loco starting at lower voltage levels and see what happens. It may be a few days before I provide feedbck, it is a busy time for the next few weeks.

I could rewind the 6153 but is not worth my time to do so.

Do you know if the 6603 module will reverse using a DC pulse?

Thanks again.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 29 September 2014 19:51:25(UTC)
H0

The limit is 28 V for many modern decoders. The 6603 should take a few volts more.
So with 27 V I wouldn't worry.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mb300e4m  
#14 Posted : 29 September 2014 20:57:20(UTC)
mb300e4m

The limit is 28 V for many modern decoders. The 6603 should take a few volts more.
So with 27 V I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for the information Tom, I will give it a whirl and let you know in a few days.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline franciscohg  
#15 Posted : 02 October 2014 02:31:47(UTC)
franciscohg

Chile   
I have used this same set with an old blue transformer many years ago, there was no problem at all.
UserPostedImage German trains era I-II and selected III, era depends on the mood, mostly Maerklin but i can be heretic if needed XD, heresy is no longer an issue.. LOL
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by franciscohg
Offline mb300e4m  
#16 Posted : 04 October 2014 23:33:22(UTC)
mb300e4m

Today I found a 6646 Transformer at a show for $27 USD, so I could not resist it at the price specially when I look at the prices on ePay. Mostly around $120 to $130, but they are not selling. It is like I say about yard sales, if something sells it was too low, if it does not it is too high.

This should get me going at the next show with the set running in conventional mode. The dip switches are all set to the correct setting on the 6603 module.

Peter B.
Peter B.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline mb300e4m  
#17 Posted : 09 October 2014 00:36:47(UTC)
mb300e4m

Today was the day of reckoning. Would the 6646 work and would the loco run?

I set out a section of test track on the bench, hooked up the 6646 and placed the loco on the track. Took a deep breath and applied power. Nothing happened. Tried the reverser, still nothing. Checked the 6646, all was well. Now what?

Looking at it I suspected that the loco had never been out of its box since it was made, so it was possible that the lube oil had congealed on the gears and axles.

Off came the body and under the inspection lamp the chassis went. The drive wheel axles were free, but the intermediate gears were frozen solid. OK said I, frozen gearing most likely caused by congealed oil. I considered dismantling the drive gearing and putting all the parts into the ultrasonic cleaning machine. But having to disconnect lots of wiring seemed a bit daunting; not that I have not done similar before. I went with plan B instead.

Some of the gears are partly exposed, so I was able to hold a clean hot soldering iron bit against two of them for a few seconds until I could get a tiny amount of movement. After that it was Q tips and isopropyl alcohol to the rescue. I was able to clean off enough goop then flush the gears with more isopropyl alcohol.

Back onto the test track went the body-less loco and we were off to the races.

Phew!
Peter B.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by mb300e4m
Offline mb300e4m  
#18 Posted : 09 October 2014 15:01:17(UTC)
mb300e4m

I could not believe how nicely this loco runs on the test track. Low speed control was great, reversing was instant every time and totally bump-less.

OK, I am convinced that Delta and Digital must be infinitely superior to analogue AC systems; not that I will ever abandon my older trains, perish the thought.

I need to get the portable layout ready for the next show on November 1 next, so will be setting it up in the garage and will be giving the set some exercise. I will set up the HD video cam and will shoot a few feet; I mean minutes and will post here.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline H0  
#19 Posted : 09 October 2014 17:56:31(UTC)
H0

OK, I am convinced that Delta and Digital must be infinitely superior to analogue AC systems
Well, you ain't seen nothing yet. Wink
Full-featured digital locos will add acceleration delay and load regulation to analogue operation - features a Delta decoder does not have.

But reversing directions without a jump and without flashing lights is common to all digital locos, but also available with analogue locos with 33xx, 34xx, and 35xx ref. numbers.

The 33xx and 34xx numbers were used for both analogue and Delta locos. All give instant reversing without a jump - some noiseless, some almost noiseless, some with the normal clack.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline Renato  
#20 Posted : 09 October 2014 19:19:58(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Peter,

Congratulations !

Welcome to the amazing world of digital operation.

Cheers

Renato
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Renato
Offline mb300e4m  
#21 Posted : 09 October 2014 19:45:28(UTC)
mb300e4m

Thanks very much Tom and Renato. I omitted to say that I ran the loco in conventional mode, as I have so far only found a 6646 transformer. But if this loco runs that nicely in conventional mode then I must look out for some digital "black" boxes to use with this set. While the digital module in this loco will not have the full functionality of later modules, it has to perform better than running in conventional mode. I am encouraged with the developments over the past few days; maybe I have caught another bug. Oh no! Not another one!

Today I start the hunt for some reasonably priced digital "black" boxes to get me to the next level. ePay is as good a starting point as any I suppose, but it is not the only possible source.

Best regards to all members,

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 09 October 2014 20:58:00(UTC)
H0

I omitted to say that I ran the loco in conventional mode, as I have so far only found a 6646 transformer.
I was assuming this.

But if this loco runs that nicely in conventional mode then I must look out for some digital "black" boxes to use with this set.
Locos with Delta decoders and AC/DC motor usually perform better in conventional mode than in digital mode.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mb300e4m  
#23 Posted : 09 October 2014 22:37:24(UTC)
mb300e4m

I omitted to say that I ran the loco in conventional mode, as I have so far only found a 6646 transformer.
I was assuming this.

But if this loco runs that nicely in conventional mode then I must look out for some digital "black" boxes to use with this set.
Locos with Delta decoders and AC/DC motor usually perform better in conventional mode than in digital mode.

Thanks Tom, so if I want to keep this loco all original, then I keep the original decoder and run it in conventional mode only. But so far the performance on the test track is exceptional even in this mode. I cannot wait to give it a run on the portable show layout.

But I shall pursue some digital gear as well and maybe a few real digital locos.

This set is going to get a good run at the show on November 1 along with some recently acquired South African stuff including a Blue Train with two locos, three coaches and a generator car all unused and boxed from the 1980s.

Peter B.
Peter B.
Offline mb300e4m  
#24 Posted : 28 October 2014 16:32:14(UTC)
mb300e4m

I recently found a 6604 to go with the 6646, it was cheap, so now I can run the loco in Delta mode. I let her loose with the coaches in tow on my portable layout...really smooth operation. I did not use the draw-bar conducting couplers. I used Marklin Close Couplers.

I shot some footage, but it is a bit fuzzy as I could not get the depth of field to stay set. I will shoot some more as sooon as I fix the camera and will post it.

Here is the fuzzy clip...well it was supposed to be here, but it is way too big. I will try to compress it or edit it to a shorter version. Stand by for further bulletins.

The FLV file was too big, so lets try a WMV. That did not work so I dropped the res and shortened it.

Peter B.

Edited by user 28 October 2014 21:43:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

File Attachment(s):
Sequence 01 Shorter.wmv (10,129kb) downloaded 30 time(s).
Peter B.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mb300e4m