Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline manos.g.darkadakis  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2014 11:53:23(UTC)
manos.g.darkadakis

Hi everyone
I am a Marklin user running on C tracks and I also have a Mobile Station 2. I want to run TC (using some can bus project hardware parts to talk to the can bus) and reading the manual I understand that in many cases the program imposes logic to create various flags to signal things and take decisions(this may apply to other software as well). As the TC manual clearly states signals are virtual and real ones are not really needed by the software. Clearly understood, but since want to add some reality to the tracks I want to use some signals for example the simple 74391 (this is just an example can be any other).
The question is how do I wire this? Marklin says I need to isolate part of the track so the signal actually will control (apply} power to the isolated part. But TC says I do not need that. Still I have to control the signal somehow in order to match the soft decisions with the state (aspect) of the signal. I can think of a solution where the signal is wired exactly as if I wanted to actually control an isolated part of the line and also with the use of a decoder wired to the tracks (so it can receive can bus commands for it's state) but leaving out isolation of the track and the red wire coming from the signal and feeding the isolate part. Is this what i should do? Are there any other ideas, suggestions? Please advise...

Regards Manos SV1IW
Offline MikeR  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2014 15:40:05(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi Manos

As you say in your post the signal is treated as a virtual device. In order to control the signal it must be connected to a decoder (such as a K83, K84 or equivalent). The address for the signal is then entered in the TC switchboard and associated with the end of a block. There is therefore a signal at both ends of a block, each signal having its own address. TC by default has a signal at each end of a block but these are not activated until a decoder address is supplied for each one of these signals.

TC automatically calculates the signal aspect for all signals, and, using the decoder address supplied for each signal, will set the required signal aspect.

The actual stopping or slowing of the train will be handled by the TC software so as you mentioned, there is no need to modify the track or use other hardware to stop the trains.

Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline manos.g.darkadakis  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2014 22:55:35(UTC)
manos.g.darkadakis

Thanks Mike
so signals are rather cosmetic in this case. Not bad at all thanks again

Manos SV1IW
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by manos.g.darkadakis