Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline GLI  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2014 15:03:01(UTC)
GLI

I need to gain access to the motor unit of a Trix 22620 HO model of the 3 car ET 420 S-Bahn unit. The mechanism is located in the middle car. I have the usual inadequate cryptic instructions from Marklin/Trix which indicate there are 3 steps to removing the plastic body from the frame. Step 2 is easy, but I cannot decypher steps 1 and 3 which seem to be identical. There do not appear to be any screws to remove so I imagine that the body clips onto the metal frame, but I cannot see how to unclip it. I am certain that the equivalent Marklin 3 rail model is identical in construction, so I am hoping a member of the forum has one of these models and knows how to access the mechanism.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Geoff
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2014 15:43:55(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Hi Geoff,

I'm looking at the instructions on my Marklin ET 420, and the 3 steps to take the centre car apart is as follows:

1 - pull off the corridor connections from the ends of the unit

2 - Twist the body while holding it upright

3 - The chassis falls out!

It looks easy, but I haven't tried it myself. From your description is sounds like your instructions are totally different to mine, so I wonder if they are the same after all.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline GLI  
#3 Posted : 05 October 2014 02:00:42(UTC)
GLI

Hi ray

Thanks for your response. I am sorry about the long delay in acknowledging your reply but this is my first visit to the forum since I asked for assistance. MY father-in-law had a heart attack while in respite care. He was taken to a local hospital and then flown to Sydney by helicopter where a pace maker was inserted. My wife is crippled with arthritis and unable to do anything and my sister-in-law is overseas. so it fell to me to do all the running around. He is now back in respite care at the nursing home and is making a full recovery, but it has been a very busy fortnight for me. I normally visit the forum at least once a day. This has been the longest absence for several years.

I have already tried twisting the body while holding it upright, but without any success. The set was acquired second hand, but has never been run. I have been pulling Marklin locos apart for 50 years now. This is the first one that has ever caused me any problems. I will have another attempt when I go down to the train shed later today.

Geoff
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 05 October 2014 09:53:27(UTC)
H0

Hi!
Originally Posted by: GLI Go to Quoted Post
I have been pulling Marklin locos apart for 50 years now.
This one is a Trix design - and I've heard from several people that you have to use more force than you are normally comfortable with.
I don't have this one, but I have other Trix designs - and they managed to make them less maintenance-friendly than other brands while at the same time making them less detailed and less prototypically correct than other brands. Confused

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#5 Posted : 05 October 2014 13:49:27(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Originally Posted by: GLI Go to Quoted Post
Hi ray

Thanks for your response. I am sorry about the long delay in acknowledging your reply but this is my first visit to the forum since I asked for assistance. MY father-in-law had a heart attack while in respite care. He was taken to a local hospital and then flown to Sydney by helicopter where a pace maker was inserted. My wife is crippled with arthritis and unable to do anything and my sister-in-law is overseas. so it fell to me to do all the running around. He is now back in respite care at the nursing home and is making a full recovery, but it has been a very busy fortnight for me. I normally visit the forum at least once a day. This has been the longest absence for several years.

I have already tried twisting the body while holding it upright, but without any success. The set was acquired second hand, but has never been run. I have been pulling Marklin locos apart for 50 years now. This is the first one that has ever caused me any problems. I will have another attempt when I go down to the train shed later today.

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

Sorry to here about your Father in Law. I wish him a speedy and complete recovery.

I had similar problems opening up my SNCB class 600 railcar (3426). This is also a Trix design, and stubbornly refused to come apart as per the instructions. Eventually I succeeded in getting the body off with a lot of jiggling and twisting while inserting a screwdriver between the body and chassis as indicated.

Good luck! I hope you manage to open your model successfully and without any damage.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline GLI  
#6 Posted : 12 October 2014 04:51:31(UTC)
GLI

Hi Tom and Ray.

Thanks for your replies. My apologies for not responding earlier. My father-in-law has made a good recovery from his surgery, but I have still had to follow up his progress which entails a 40 kilometre round trip to the nursing home.

Just some feedback on this subject. You are right, Ray, about the amount of force required to separate the body from the frame. It took me about 20 minutes, and the amount of force needed was surprising. The main difficulty was to not damage all the detail on the roof while twisting the body. Even then, I was only able to free 3 corners of the body. I had to pry the other corner loose before the body would drop free.

If you have difficulty removing a body from the frame, the corollary of that is that you are probably going to have problems putting the body back on the frame, and that is exactly what happened. After I had lubricated the mechanism, installed a decoder and switched it to operate off the catenary, I couldn't get the body back on the frame. i must have spent 2 hours over several days trying to reattach the body to the frame. Determined to solve this problem, I sat down and spent 20 minutes trying to reattach the body, but without success. I actually succeeded in locking one side into place, but no matter how much force I applied, the other side would not click into place. I removed the body, and again tried to push it into place. I looked closely at the body and noticed that the 4 tabs on each side of the body which slide into recesses in the frame seemed to be stopping the body from reconnecting to the frame. I pushed the body just above one of the tabs and it clicked into place.I then did the same to all the other tabs and in 10 seconds, the body was reattached to the frame.

I hope my experiences may be of assistance to any members of the forum who may need to access the mechanism on this model.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by GLI
H0