Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline JanThyregod  
#1 Posted : 12 September 2014 09:30:53(UTC)
JanThyregod

Denmark   
You have been a member since:: 12/09/2014(UTC)
Hi Guys

After searching for a more updated expansion solution to my IB /6021 setup, as I required more track power, I have recently bought an ECOs and a LocoNet converter as the advertising material promises that you can use the IB as a LocoNet controller.

Using the IB as slave controller works fine when setting SO 488 to "1". BUT then track power disappear !!!! My intention was to use the IB as a combined booster/slave controller at the other end of my layout.Crying According to IB manual this should work !!!

When setting SO 488 to "0" track power is on, but control does not work if loco is registered at the ECOs, selected or not makes no difference.

It seems to me that using the IB as a LocoNet accessory / auxiliary unit and also to feed trak power is not possible.... or I am just overlooking something simple ??

ECOs and IB both updated to latest SW versions.

BR Jan
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 12 September 2014 12:02:16(UTC)
H0

Hi, Jan!
Originally Posted by: JanThyregod Go to Quoted Post
According to IB manual this should work!
Which Intellibox do you have? Which manual are you referring to?

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#3 Posted : 12 September 2014 12:29:15(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I don't think you can have the IB provide track power in this situation, but I might be wrong. ESU do not show the IB as being able to feed track power in their Systems diagram.

In this setup the L.Net adapter always wants to be the master device, there is no way to set it to slave mode, therefore all IB's must run in slave mode.

If you have purchased an Ecos already, then I suggest you get some EcosBoost boosters and use your IB as a slave controller.
Bigdaddynz attached the following image(s):
ESU_Systems.JPG
Offline JanThyregod  
#4 Posted : 12 September 2014 13:36:44(UTC)
JanThyregod

Denmark   
Thanks HO and Bigdaddynz for postings :-)

I refer to page 54 in manual Bes65060-01e.pdf...it is not really as solid as I would like it to be...found an addendum later online today Blushing that actually states that power is cut-off....but why ?

If the IB is able to communicate with the ECOs via LocoNet there should no reason to switch off power ?? Controls can software wise be synchronised but it can off course be a protocol defined issue.

Interesting drawing... :-) will examine it more closely

My initial intention was to divide the track in 3, (ECOSs, ECO Booster, IB) and a 4th one (6021) for decoder supply.... tonight I will test if the 6021 connected to right side of IB with adapter still works or not. Maybe I have just been too stingy and ambitious at the same time Crying

BR Jan
Offline JanThyregod  
#5 Posted : 12 September 2014 22:45:57(UTC)
JanThyregod

Denmark   
Have researched and testet a bit more.

When SO 844 set to 1 it seems like the entire IB shuts down everything except the Loconet interface.

Even using a 6036 as extra controller does not work, really a very, very dissapointing experience Confused with Uhlenbrock. Maybe I was just expecting too much.Blink

Conclusion is that the ECOs is a nice toy, but as I use PC software control anyway, I could have saved my money and basically have teh same fetatures except for nice programming features.

Hope someone else can learn from my post BigGrin

Regards Jan
Offline Tdl  
#6 Posted : 15 September 2014 13:49:44(UTC)
Tdl

Netherlands   
Jan,

you are using the wrong IB.
With IB-II as a slave -- SO 844 set to 1 -- one can use the booster of the IB-II for a separated part of the layout.

One can then also still use the S88 connection and the USB port of the IB-II.

I'm doing this.
My master currently is an IB-IR.
I have the PC connected to the USB port of the IB-II.
I have S88's connected to both the IB-IR and the IB-II.

I prefer to use the IB-IR to generate the track data, because then the duration functions on the Motorola second address (f5-f8) are correctly being switched. This his is not the case with IB-II as a master.
I have informed Uhlenbrock on this beheaviour.

Regards, Willem
Offline JanThyregod  
#7 Posted : 15 September 2014 17:39:53(UTC)
JanThyregod

Denmark   
Hi Willem

Thanks for your reply.

I use what I have available and what the IB Basic manual states, unfortunately the manual was corrected later on in a seperate addendum.

I use and ESU ECOs with a LocoNet converter as Master, and the the IB as slave controller at the other end of my layout. I accidentally understood that the IB was able to be a slave and provide track power at the same time. This does however not seem to be the case.

Reason for this odd setup was to reuse whatever components/units I had as opposed to selling used and purchasing new units.

BR Jan