Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline kweekalot  
#1 Posted : 10 September 2014 14:11:57(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Back in the day the Faller homeworker families in Gütenbach made real works of art from the Faller houses just by painting them in these lovely colors and adding flowers and vegetation and such. Although build by many different families, all these models have that special appealing look.

I have long wondered how those typical flowers and bushes were made, they seemed to be made of some kind of green paste.
But then I found this article how to make this oldschool vegetation in Faller Modellbau Magazin No 1 from October 1957.

So I bought Faller house #203 from the late 1950s that someone had built plain from a kit, most likely a not so talented hobbyist or maybe a kid.
It's so poorly build that you can't do much harm on it, everything you do with it is an improvement.
The plastic is yellowish discolored (nicotine?) and although a classic model from the 'Siedler Häuschen' series, the model looks very boring.

So I painted it in the 1950-60 Faller homeworkers style.
I used these special "Echt Rotmarder" brushes, the same type that are also used for painting Preiser figures.
These brushes are really fantastic as well as the Humbrol enamel paints.

The instructions in the 1957 article how to make these oldschool vegetation is very helpfull.
Summarized translation: "You must mix a teaspoon Faller 'Plasticol' with a teaspoon 'Nitrolöser' and mix it firmly (don't smoke!) and then add the green Faller litter (colored sawdust). With this paste you can now sculpt bushes, plants, window flower boxes...etc.
It is advised to put some Plasticol on the spot were you want to apply the paste.
The paste is dry within 15 minutes and if necessary one can add flowers simply by painting them with a tiny brush
".

The Faller Plasticol tubes aren't available any more for some 15 years so I used a tube 'Contacta' from Revell and instead of the 'Nitrolöser' I used Humbrol paint thinner, which is a similar product too.
Yikes, I now understand why you should not smoke during this job, the mix smells super inflammable ! Scared
I followed the 1957 instruction and I'm so pleased with the result ! Smile

Marco

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Edited by user 10 September 2014 19:28:11(UTC)  | Reason: typo

thanks 12 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kweekalot  
#2 Posted : 10 September 2014 14:31:15(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
BTW, here is a pic (from Google/Internet, not mine!) of a Faller 'Werks-Fertigmodell' #203 that I used a little bit as an example. BigGrin

UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline kiwiAlan  
#3 Posted : 10 September 2014 23:23:35(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
great work, amazing how some 'flowers' etc makes the model look something.

Now the Kombi just needs some seethrough windows ... Laugh

oh, whoops, that isn't yours ...Wub
Offline NZMarklinist  
#4 Posted : 15 September 2014 04:42:01(UTC)
NZMarklinist

New Zealand   
Hi Marco, well done ThumpUp

It brings back memories of my old Marklin layout I had as a kid, yet again.

I had this house or one very similar as a kit on the layout, actually several a few of my old Faller house models had the flower boxes, but installing them didn't seem as dangerous as I recall Wink

Thanks once again for the memories Smile
Glen
Auckland NZ

" Every Marklin layout needs a V200, a Railbus and a Banana car", not to mention a few Black and red Steamers, oh and the odd Elok !

CS1 Reloaded, Touch Cab, C Track Modules, K track layout all under construction. Currently Insider