Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Armando  
#1 Posted : 09 September 2014 03:27:08(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi everyone,

I recently received this item, which I had ordered in connection with the 2014 new items.

My overall impression is excellent in terms of looks, sounds, motion. It is in the same league as its predecessor (for Märklin), the later. era VI 39980. But maybe, even better, as the newer model comes with white LEDs.

One very nice thing about it is that because it is one of the four prototypes that were tested by the DB, it still doesn't have the "biscuit" DB sign. Another difference with the previous model (later model, actually) is that it doesn't have any buffers.

At least two videos on internet show all the bells and whistles, in German language.

So far all is very well... But... Something that puzzles me is what in these videos isn't explained: The trailer only has red marker lights, which can be controlled (on or off) depending on the direction of travel. But it doesn't have any white headlights. Does this mean that the railbus only can travel in one direction, when it is used together with the trailer? Could this possibly be prototypical? Confused
Best regards,
Armando García

thanks 3 users liked this useful post by Armando
Offline biedmatt  
#2 Posted : 09 September 2014 04:02:51(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
You must have missed this thread:
https://www.marklin-user...d-to-500.aspx#post464978

At the terminal station, they would run the powered coach around to the other side and make a return run. Marklin have strangely decided you do not need this capability and have supplied a semi permanent coupler. According to Tom, they decided the T4T conducting telex couplers were not necessary. So as it sits, I do not know how you could operate it as the prototype.

Out of curiosity, I purchased six T4T couplers. Two to experiment if necessary and four to fit. They arrived today. I spent a short time working them out and I feel you could retrofit the 39950 with the T4T couplers. 12V will pick the telex function and they will conduct two circuits-trailer lighting and the telex function on the trailer couplers. Both couplers need power to effect a decoupling. Coupler force is extremely low. Since I am a huge triebwagen fan, I am going to order a 39950 tomorrow and fit the couplers and an ESU V4 decoder with a bell. The ESU coupler dance will work well here.

UserPostedImage
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#3 Posted : 09 September 2014 10:05:24(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
It is the same problem like with the VT 75.9. The trailing cab isn't a steering cab!

For the VT 75.9 there is a possibility to mount the power leading couplers. But the VT 75.9 (37705) has not connected the electric on both sides. This means, You have to rework the motor cab.

Then, You can declutch with a declutch rail and turn over the motor cab.

See: https://www.marklin-user...ent-carrying-clutch.aspx

Märklin 37705 - VT 75.9 - coupling with RTS short coupler and decoupling rail
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline biedmatt  
#4 Posted : 09 September 2014 14:11:30(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
"Red marker lights on for the trailer car depending on the position of the motor car."

Edit: Note they state "position" and not "direction of travel".

This makes me wonder. Do the trailer lights change direction via an axle switch as they do on the trailer of 3998x? Or does it depend on which coupler has power from the powered unit? The latter seems more in line with the description, but that could be an inaccurate translation from German to English. If it is the latter, then diodes would be needed to prevent power going to the interior lighting from back feeding to the taillamps on the "wrong" side.
Matt
Era 3
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline Moritz-BR365  
#5 Posted : 09 September 2014 14:17:55(UTC)
Moritz-BR365

Germany   
Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
"Red marker lights on for the trailer car depending on the position of the motor car."

This makes me wonder. Do the trailer lights change direction via an axle switch as they do on the trailer of 3998x? Or does it depend on which coupler has power from the powered unit?

I think, it depends on which coupler the unit is powered from.

There is a manual switch to switch off the rear lights in case of double traction with a second VT 95.

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Moritz-BR365
Offline biedmatt  
#6 Posted : 09 September 2014 14:24:48(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Originally Posted by: Moritz-BR365 Go to Quoted Post

This makes me wonder. Do the trailer lights change direction via an axle switch as they do on the trailer of 3998x? Or does it depend on which coupler has power from the powered unit?

I think, it depends on which coupler the unit is powered from.

There is a manual switch to switch off the rear lights in case of double traction with a second VT 95.

My feelings too. When I get it and start reworking it, I will post a thread showing what I have done and how Marklin have it configured. Not sure when I will receive it. Walthers has not received theirs yet and I do not wish to pay their premium. Need to email Michael and see if he has any from the recent shipment he received. Finally have a 37568 headed my way.
Matt
Era 3
Offline Armando  
#7 Posted : 10 September 2014 03:44:02(UTC)
Armando

United States   
Hi everyone, and thanks for your input.

I decided to write to the Märklin Service this morning and ask what the deal was with the trailer. I am copying in verbatim their answer:

"Dieser Wagen ist ein Beiwagen und kein Steuerwagen. Er befindet sich daher immer am Schluss des Zuges und zeigt daher immer nur 2 rote Schlussleuchten. Steuerwagen wurden beim Schienenbus erst später beim VT 98 eingeführt".

So this kind of explains it, I guess. In the prototype, the consist must have probably been turned around when reaching an end station.

Best regards,
Armando García

Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 10 September 2014 07:33:42(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Armando Go to Quoted Post
So this kind of explains it, I guess. In the prototype, the consist must have probably been turned around when reaching an end station.
No. The VT 95.9 had automatic couplers to simplify the process of de-coupling at one end and and re-coupling at the other end. It was not (normally) turned around with turntables, turning loops, or turning triangles.

A "VB" has no control cab, a "VS" has a control cab, a "VT" is a powered rail-car.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline dennisb  
#9 Posted : 31 January 2016 10:31:24(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   

Out of curiosity, I purchased six T4T couplers. Two to experiment if necessary and four to fit. They arrived today. I spent a short time working them out and I feel you could retrofit the 39950 with the T4T couplers. 12V will pick the telex function and they will conduct two circuits-trailer lighting and the telex function on the trailer couplers. Both couplers need power to effect a decoupling. Coupler force is extremely low. Since I am a huge triebwagen fan, I am going to order a 39950 tomorrow and fit the couplers and an ESU V4 decoder with a bell. The ESU coupler dance will work well here.

Hi,
Sorry to awake this old thread but I'm interested in the 39950 model. I would however have the same need as you, to change the order of the train at the terminal stations. Did you get this to work? Anyone else with new ideas?

Thanks!
D.
Offline biedmatt  
#10 Posted : 31 January 2016 14:14:13(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Hi D, The T4T couplers functioned fine with 12VDC from my power supply, but in the experiment, both halves of the coupler were receiving power. When operated from a decoder output through the coupler, they would not reliably uncouple. I believe the power pulse wasn't long enough on the trailer wagen as it would loose power as the coupler started to separate and that coupler wouldn't release it's paw. So I gave up and left it as it came from M.
Matt
Era 3
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
Offline dennisb  
#11 Posted : 31 January 2016 14:22:16(UTC)
dennisb

Sweden   
Hi D, The T4T couplers functioned fine with 12VDC from my power supply, but in the experiment, both halves of the coupler were receiving power. When operated from a decoder output through the coupler, they would not reliably uncouple. I believe the power pulse wasn't long enough on the trailer wagen as it would loose power as the coupler started to separate and that coupler wouldn't release it's paw. So I gave up and left it as it came from M.

Sorry to hear that! Thanks for the quick reply.