Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline bulenty  
#1 Posted : 06 September 2014 00:12:06(UTC)
bulenty

Turkey   
Hello,

I am very unlucy man or Marklin locos have some problems.I am model railroader since 1999.Currently I have 25+ locos on my layout and in showcases.I try to tell last 1.5 year of my problems.First I want to inform which locos I have and their specifications.

1-37740 Diesel loco: It stopped suddenly while running.When I dismanteled the body,I saw that (-) cable breaked soldered point.I fixed myself.

2-37968 Mallet:Still it was in Marklin service,decoder dead three times.Marklin did not changged it.

3-39052 BR 05 :I send back to dealer(modellbahn Kramm)two times because of decoder dead suddenly.Today decoder dead again(I got back it 10 days ago from service)Marklin did not changed it.

4-37956 BR 03 244:Decoder dead without reason,Marklin changed it.Now it is working correctly.

5-37023 BR53 : Decoder could not control the smoke generator.When I connected it directly pick-up shoe cable it was working.I made a mistake to changed board,maybe I could fix the problem without sent to servise.İt is still on Marklin service(nearly four months)Of course they request 122€ for repair.

6-37455 BR 45 010: Gestange(I do not know in English) dimanteled while she was running.Marklin changged the loco with new one.Nearly 15 days ago,sound of loco was corrupted but the loco was running.I tried decoder another loco,decoder had no problem,it was working.I resent to dealer(modellbahn shop lippe)

7-37166 I like it so much.I bouht it second for to use two loco.When I got second loco,I put on the track it dead suddenly when I dismantled the loco,I saw that board cables burned.I sent it back to dealer.

Which locos I use without problem?

1- 39393 BR 39

2- 39023 BR 18.3

3-31021-2 Class K

4-37028 P8

5-37810 BR50

6-37813 SNCF 150-Z

7-37048 Class K

8-37938 P 10

9-37098-1 BR 85

10-39010 BR 01 147

11-39017 BR 01 150

12 Seven of my old locos which I converted with sound myself.They were working without problems nearly one year.(33184 18.4,39102 BR 01 oil tender-first steam loksound,34883 SNCB 25.021,37840 cabine tender,3374 diesel 216,33803 diesel V200)

13-ESU BR 218 ,ESU Captrain 66,ESU 216 sound and smoke

14-Brawa 40119 Bavarian G 4/5 H

15-Brawa T11 KPEV

My system : CS2 and ecos 50200.Of course they are working separately.

Also Marklin service periot is too long.In my mind it means that a lot of locos send back to Marklin.

I am old man(55 years old) Blushing I tired so much because of problems especially last years production products.I like very,very much my old locos

I want to share,may be any Marklin officier read this topic.

thanks 4 users liked this useful post by bulenty
Offline Danlake  
#2 Posted : 06 September 2014 06:26:44(UTC)
Danlake

New Zealand   
Hi Bulenty,

Thanks for sharing your story and sorry to hear about your faulty loco's.

I fully agree - there is nothing more frustating when you just want to sit and enjoy playing with layout - and faults then appears...

I myself only have a smaller collection (15 loco's of which some I converted myself) and so far I have not experienced any faults like yours below.

Brgds - Lasse

Digital 11m2 layout / C (M&K) tracks / Era IV / CS3 60226 / Train Controller Gold 9 with 4D sound. Mainly Danish and German Locomotives.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Danlake
H0
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 06 September 2014 07:46:01(UTC)
Goofy

And my loco BR64 39644 did default already after about 15 minutes used.
It´s now at Märklin factory to repair under warranty.
Soon five weeks has been passed...
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline H0  
#4 Posted : 06 September 2014 08:11:41(UTC)
H0

Hi, Bulenty,

Sorry to hear about your problems. It seems your Märklin locos have a higher failure rate than my Märklin locos (and I am dissatisfied with the failure rate I experienced with recent Märklin products).

Originally Posted by: bulenty Go to Quoted Post
I don't think they read here.
In my experience, even e-mails sent to Märklin through their contact form on the site will lead to nothing in 90+ percent of cases.

You can send e-mails directly to CEO Sieber and CEO Bächle. Sometimes you will even get an answer - but don't expect to see changes.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline DasBert33  
#5 Posted : 06 September 2014 08:32:53(UTC)
DasBert33

Belgium   
Hello Bulenty,

That is a lot of electronics problems for a relative small amount of locos. The only decoders that really died on my layout are the ones I (accidentally) shorted myself. Therfore I assume the high failure rate is related to your setup somehow.

Are you sure that your electricity is OK and are you using a correct power supply for CS2 and/or Ecos? Does the electricity on your outlets have spikes/dips or something? Do you use the supplied switching supply for ecos? What supply do you use for your CS? What track voltage do you use on both systems?

Even if the answer to all questions above is OK it might be intereresting to invest in some kind of protection circuit between the wall outlet en your layout, just to be safe.

Bert

thanks 7 users liked this useful post by DasBert33
Offline RayF  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2014 08:54:42(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
You seem to have more than your share of bad luck, Bulenty! ThumbDown

I have 120+ Marklin locos, both old and new, and I have never had to send a loco back for repair, so I guess I'm luckier than most!

I had a decoder fail on me about 15 years ago. It was a 6090 and I replaced it with a 60902. None of my mfx decoders have failed (yet).
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline bulenty  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2014 10:37:17(UTC)
bulenty

Turkey   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
You seem to have more than your share of bad luck, Bulenty! ThumbDown

I have 120+ Marklin locos, both old and new, and I have never had to send a loco back for repair, so I guess I'm luckier than most!

I had a decoder fail on me about 15 years ago. It was a 6090 and I replaced it with a 60902. None of my mfx decoders have failed (yet).

Hello and than you for questions.

I use controlers separately.When I use CS2 I remove track and electricty connections ecos.Also when I use ecos I remove CS2 track connections and electricity.CS2 has 100 va power.Ecos is 4 A booster.

If there were problems electricity,there must be problems other loco's working.

Offline Renato  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2014 12:26:37(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Bulenty,

Maybe this is not relevant to your locomotives frequent damages, but it is not recommended by Märklin the use of 100 VA transformer for H0 scale layout (only for 1 scale layout).

Cheers

Renato
Offline Drongo  
#9 Posted : 06 September 2014 13:17:31(UTC)
Drongo

Australia   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, Bulenty,

Sorry to hear about your problems. It seems your Märklin locos have a higher failure rate than my Märklin locos (and I am dissatisfied with the failure rate I experienced with recent Märklin products).

Originally Posted by: bulenty Go to Quoted Post
I don't think they read here.
In my experience, even e-mails sent to Märklin through their contact form on the site will lead to nothing in 90+ percent of cases.

You can send e-mails directly to CEO Sieber and CEO Bächle. Sometimes you will even get an answer - but don't expect to see changes.

Tom, where can I find the email addresses of the CEO's - I'd like to try my chance at sending them my thoughts and see if I get a reply. If I don't try . . . .

Regards
Greg
Take it easy . . . . or any other way you can get it !!!!
Offline artfull dodger  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2014 15:06:06(UTC)
artfull dodger

United States   
Unfortunatly with more complexity that is inherent with the electronics/decoders, come more problems. I also dont think the quality or atleast the perceived quality isnt what it used to be. Older M from the 50's thru the 80's and probably longer than that were bulletproof. Usualy just a shot of oil in the proper places was all a lok needed, even if abused by the previous owner. They we started wanting sound, puffing smoke units and digital control. This level of complexity just invites problems unfortunatly, even in what I consider the best built model trains in HO scale. I have done the digital stuff, both with M and 2 rail DCC in HO scale and got tired of the constant issues with the electronics. My new M layout will be all Analog control with older trains. I have sound, its in my mind. I imagine that dampflok working hard, snorting and shooting black smoke skyward, or the chant of the diesel. I am not sure the younger generation has this ablity. Sorry to hear of your problems, unfortunatly its not confined to M, its across the board in model trains these days. Cheers MiketheAspie
Silly NT's..I have Asperger's Syndrome!!!!
Offline PMPeter  
#11 Posted : 06 September 2014 16:52:26(UTC)
PMPeter

Canada   
I think your 100 VA power supply is the source of a lot of your problems. My local dealer was very concerned when the 100 VA power supply came out with the same plug configuration as the lower VA units and even said to me that if people end up using it with their MS2 or CS2 in HO they are going to blow decoders every time they have a derailment or other electrical short.

Suggest you try the lower VA output power supply unit appropriate for your local supply voltage (either 60061 in Europe or 60065 in North America).

Peter
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 06 September 2014 19:31:52(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: youngagain Go to Quoted Post
Tom, where can I find the email addresses of the CEO's - I'd like to try my chance at sending them my thoughts and see if I get a reply. If I don't try . . . .
They are Top Secret.

I heard a rumour you may find them in post #195 in one of threads on this forum ...

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline H0  
#13 Posted : 06 September 2014 19:37:24(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: PMPeter Go to Quoted Post
I think your 100 VA power supply is the source of a lot of your problems. My local dealer was very concerned when the 100 VA power supply came out with the same plug configuration as the lower VA units and even said to me that if people end up using it with their MS2 or CS2 in HO they are going to blow decoders every time they have a derailment or other electrical short.
IMHO it's just a matter of sufficient wire diameter.

The CS2 power source can be set to 60061 even with the 100 VA power supply and then it should switch off at 3A as it would with a 60 VA power supply.

My CS1 can handle 4 A, but I set the switch off current to 2 A to be on the safe side (until I need more "juice" on the layout).
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline tulit  
#14 Posted : 06 September 2014 20:56:43(UTC)
tulit

Canada   

Suggest you try the lower VA output power supply unit appropriate for your local supply voltage (either 60061 in Europe or 60065 in North America).

Peter

Not true. The reason they are concerned is because of issues like melting wheels to track, feeder wire being too small, etc. When a locomotive shorts as it derails, the current isn't going through the decoder.....

I've been running the 100va for a few years on HO now. Many derailments. Never blew a decoder.
Offline bulenty  
#15 Posted : 06 September 2014 21:42:11(UTC)
bulenty

Turkey   

Peter

Thank you for your interest.First I have to say the decoders did not burn during or after shot circuit.Ecos's power is adjustable on power supply and booster with knob.I adjusted 19v.I checked CS2 with 60v and 100v,output voltages are same.During short circuit ,you are right.I know that more feeding and more power(not extra ordinary) is better in digital system.Because regulation are done by control units.Cs2 gives 18.5v during working.

But majority of my forum friends same idea,I respect and change it with 60va power.I have it