Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Goofy  
#1 Posted : 04 September 2014 09:23:39(UTC)
Goofy

I did decides to start this topic to present other factory which also do produce train models for three rail.
I´m not sure if i did count up all...
1.Roco
2.Fleischmann
3.Brawa
4.Jeco
5.NMJ
6.F2010(Hobbytrade)
7.Heljan
8.Liliput
8.HAG

If i did missed more,please write.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline xxup  
#2 Posted : 04 September 2014 09:41:13(UTC)
xxup

Australia   
I have a 3-rail Br01 from Precision Craft Models...
Adrian
UserPostedImage
Australia flag by abFlags.com
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by xxup
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 04 September 2014 09:41:47(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Piko,
Electrotren,
Lima,
Rivarossi (not sure)
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline DamonKelly  
#4 Posted : 04 September 2014 11:12:51(UTC)
DamonKelly

Australia   
MTH (America)
Röwa (no longer in business)
Cheers,
Damon
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DamonKelly
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 04 September 2014 11:48:04(UTC)
H0

LS Models
Trix
Gützold
Tillig
Brekina
ESU
Kibri
ACME
Bemo
Sächsische Waggonfabrik (Voith Maxima)
RailAd
Jägerndorfer
Mehano
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Bigdaddynz  
#6 Posted : 04 September 2014 13:06:49(UTC)
Bigdaddynz

New Zealand   
I think I know where Goofy wants to go with this Wink.......

It would be interesting to know what the yearly production of 3 rail items of all of the above manufacturers is compared to Marklin, and a breakdown of whether the models they produce are ones that Marklin does not produce (and are therefore not taking market share away from Marklin), or whether they are competing with Marklin by producing similar models.

Until you have that information, there is no way you can make a blanket statement that other 3 rail manufacturers are the root cause of Marklin's falling performance.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Bigdaddynz
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#7 Posted : 04 September 2014 14:10:40(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
I think that Bigdaddynz is onto something regarding other manufacturers making models that märklin doens'nt, and hence does not make an impact on the number of sold märklin items. I for one, wanted the Taurus loco in railjet livery a year or two back. The only producer then was Roco and Jägerndorfer. I went with the Roco and have been happy with it. It is plastic and does'nt have the same feeling to it, but it runs great and the sounds are great.

Also, being in to swiss items one researches when it comes to new purchases and I have the general feeling that a lot of swiss models not made by märklin are made by other manufacturers, especially HAG and Roco. There are others of course but these are the main ones. Liliput also has the Flirt and NPZ.
SBB Era IV - VI
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS
Offline jvuye  
#8 Posted : 04 September 2014 14:15:51(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Fulgurex... (One model at least of the Be4/6 of the SBB...)
Roxy
Metropolitan
Buco
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 04 September 2014 14:22:18(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Piko,
Electrotren,
Lima,
Rivarossi (not sure)

I confirm, Rivarossi **did** produce a number of 3-rail locos (off the top of my head at least a model of the E17, E 18, E 19, two BR 96, a BR 10 steamer, and a great looking BR 39 long before Märklin porposed these. They are, of course, all in my stable...) Wink ThumpUp

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 04 September 2014 14:29:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
My non- Marklin purchases have been either because they are much cheaper or just on impulse.

I've found the Piko expert range particularly good value for money, so I have several of these. My Roco SNCB class 59 was significantly cheaper than the Marklin version, but it is plastic and cheap looking, though it runs OK. Other models seem to be comparable in price and specification between different manufacturers.

I think it is useful to have other manufacturers making AC versions, as it gives more choice, especially as a source of models not made by Marklin.
Ray
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline kweekalot  
#11 Posted : 04 September 2014 21:07:20(UTC)
kweekalot

Netherlands   
Pocher.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by kweekalot
Offline steventrain  
#12 Posted : 04 September 2014 22:17:11(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hornby Dublo until 1960s and Primex until 1992.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by steventrain
Offline CarlosAlberto  
#13 Posted : 04 September 2014 22:26:59(UTC)
CarlosAlberto

Portugal   
Hi!

Anders, you forgot an important one: ESU.

A few times in my life i have considered changing for another brand of modelrailroad...

But i think it's impossible to me: once i have Marklin at a time of my (yours) life, i (you) will never more can chose for any other brand...

I am addicted to Marklin (for their beauty most of all) Wink

As i have written, Marklin's locomotives; wagons; passenger cars, are the most beautiful of all modelrailroad trade marks;

to me, it is a fact!!!

One day a Marklinist, all your life a Marklinist!!!

[even we must wait for better motors, decoders...(in some models)]
Regards
Carlos
... 51 years living with Marklin at my side.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by CarlosAlberto
Offline H0  
#14 Posted : 04 September 2014 22:32:55(UTC)
H0

Kato

Originally Posted by: Bigdaddynz Go to Quoted Post
Until you have that information, there is no way you can make a blanket statement that other 3 rail manufacturers are the root cause of Marklin's falling performance.
There are too many companies making three-rail models of prototypes that Märklin do not make.
There are too many companies making three-rail models of prototypes that Märklin also make - but other companies make them cheaper and/or better.

The root cause of the problem: too many customers buy detailed plastic models instead of robust metal models.
Märklin would perform better without competition. Wink

It's better with mfx+: no other company makes mfx+ locos. Märklin has a market share of 100% in the mfx+ market. ThumpUp
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline kiwiAlan  
#15 Posted : 04 September 2014 22:47:32(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post

It's better with mfx+: no other company makes mfx+ locos. Märklin has a market share of 100% in the mfx+ market. ThumpUp

Not sure that is quite true - ESU make mfx compatible decoders (they made the original mfx decoders after all), not sure if they fit them to the locos they produce, but I am suspect they do.

[edit] whoops, you are talking mfx+, I'm talking mfx Blushing [/edit]
Offline steventrain  
#16 Posted : 04 September 2014 22:54:57(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: xxup Go to Quoted Post
I have a 3-rail Br01 from Precision Craft Models...

On my wish list.Smile
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline RayF  
#17 Posted : 04 September 2014 23:04:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Brand loyalty is a very important factor. Although it is non-existant for some, it is the single most important factor for many. Marklin seems to be very good at attracting the type of customer who will stick with them through thick and thin. If it were not for these loyal customers the company would probably have disappeared years ago.

I have to admit to being a loyal customer, not just for Marklin, but in many areas of my life. For example, I still bank with the same company where I opened my first account aged 17, and I keep going back to Ford cars throughout my life.

This is not about logic or cold facts. It is about emotion and staying in your comfort zone. Don't knock it!
Ray
thanks 6 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline H0  
#18 Posted : 04 September 2014 23:56:51(UTC)
H0

Marklin seems to be very good at attracting the type of customer who will stick with them through thick and thin.
Many loyal customers stick to Märklin, to M track, to analogue locos, to blue transformers. Those loyal customers have little impact on Märklin's EBIT.

I'm loyal to "Old Märklin", I buy analogue Märklin and digital Märklin with DIP switches on eBay. Thus my purchases have little impact on Märklin's EBIT.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#19 Posted : 05 September 2014 00:45:51(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Marklin seems to be very good at attracting the type of customer who will stick with them through thick and thin.
Many loyal customers stick to Märklin, to M track, to analogue locos, to blue transformers. Those loyal customers have little impact on Märklin's EBIT.

I'm loyal to "Old Märklin", I buy analogue Märklin and digital Märklin with DIP switches on eBay. Thus my purchases have little impact on Märklin's EBIT.

Your purchases will have little impact, but many will buy virtually every new item that Marklin produces. I don't agree that Marklin's loyal customers have little impact. I believe they have a major impact on the company's profits. Many owners of Marklin trains will have started with a Marklin Starter set, and expanded with more Marklin equipment and trains before ever having considered that there may be alternative brands that work on Marklin tracks.

You, Tom, are at the other end of the scale, where, having bought Marklin in the past you are now discovering other brands to be (in your opinion) better than Marklin, so you are no longer "brand loyal". Many Marklin modellers will not have reached that stage, or indeed may not want to ever get there.

I don't want to make a big deal of this, but I do believe that brand loyalty is a major factor, even if you do not relate to the concept personally.

Ray
Offline DV  
#20 Posted : 05 September 2014 01:23:48(UTC)
DV

Australia   
Originally Posted by: jvuye Go to Quoted Post
Piko,
Electrotren,
Lima,
Rivarossi (not sure)

I confirm, Rivarossi **did** produce a number of 3-rail locos (off the top of my head at least a model of the E17, E 18, E 19, two BR 96, a BR 10 steamer, and a great looking BR 39 long before Märklin porposed these. They are, of course, all in my stable...) Wink ThumpUp

Hoe about thisThumpUp ThumpUp

UserPostedImage
Dusan V
'I find your lack of faith (in Märklin) disturbing'
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by DV
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 05 September 2014 04:43:51(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
My attraction has always primarily been Swiss trains. I fell in love with the big green locos in 1971 when my parents took us on sabbatical to Zurich. Since then, I have wanted to collect Swiss trains. If Maerklin does not make a model, or if the Maerklin model has visual flaws, then there is no reason why I can't enjoy that loco, car or coach from another manufacturer. Since then, I collect Swiss trains, I am not collecting Maerklin. It just happens to be that my system of preference is 3 Rail AC. I have M, K and C track. Most of the time now I am only using the C Track.

Every modeller has his different motivations for collecting specific models or brands and to each his own.

As far as the metal vs plastic issue, I have always stated that each model has it's positive and negative points. A plastic model might not be as rugged, but it will be more detailed. As most cars and coaches are plastic these days, a plastic loco often matches the coaches better than a metal one.

So, collect what you want and I am sure that your models mean as much to you as mine mean to me.

Here are some more Rivarossi AC models: http://www.roundhouse.ch...rossi_HO_SBB-Modelle.htm

As far as the comment about other brands' AC models being cheaper than Maerklin, that applies only to cheap models.
A Hag model can cost up to twice the cost of a Maerklin one.

On that note, let's add, Hui Modellbau, Friho, Roundhouse, Emag and RailTop, to the list of manufacturers and let's all enjoy the hobby.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline H0  
#22 Posted : 05 September 2014 07:48:43(UTC)
H0

I don't agree that Marklin's loyal customers have little impact.
My point was: collectors who only buy Märklin items with four-digit ref. numbers have little or no impact on the current Märklin sales as they buy all they need on eBay, flea markets and swap meets.
I am not surprised that you do not agree.

To support Märklin, people have to buy the latest and greatest mfx+ locos and and the 2014 strictly limited one-time series, not old stuff from eBay.

I suspect that many loyal customers who verbally support Märklin on fora do not own any mfx locos (and consequently have no idea of the current quality level of current Märklin products).
It's easy to praise the quality of Märklin products when you only own stuff with four-digit ref. numbers ...
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline H0  
#23 Posted : 05 September 2014 08:05:12(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
As far as the comment about other brands' AC models being cheaper than Maerklin, that applies only to cheap models.
A Hag model can cost up to twice the cost of a Maerklin one.
I wrote that others do it cheaper and/or better.
HAG makes a better Ae 6/6 and a better Re 460 (well, I can speak for Old HAG only, New HAG is experimenting with new light boards, testing different wiring options - so far I have none of those).
Roco makes the Re 460 cheaper - and IMHO better detailed.

IMHO Märklin had the best BR 101 for years - better than Fleischmann, better than Roco. Now Roco sells an improvement Fleischmann 101 and Märklin is only second best.
Many other Märklin moulds never reached the "pole position" with respect to details IMHO. But they used to have maintenance-friendly c90 motors, C-Sinus, or SDS.

The HAG motor is much like the c90 motor.
HAG shows how quiet such a motor can be - when cog wheels have the grates removed and are mounted properly without too much play. Not cost-optimized.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline RayF  
#24 Posted : 05 September 2014 08:24:11(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't agree that Marklin's loyal customers have little impact.
My point was: collectors who only buy Märklin items with four-digit ref. numbers have little or no impact on the current Märklin sales as they buy all they need on eBay, flea markets and swap meets.
I am not surprised that you do not agree.

To support Märklin, people have to buy the latest and greatest mfx+ locos and and the 2014 strictly limited one-time series, not old stuff from eBay.

I suspect that many loyal customers who verbally support Märklin on fora do not own any mfx locos (and consequently have no idea of the current quality level of current Märklin products).
It's easy to praise the quality of Märklin products when you only own stuff with four-digit ref. numbers ...

Yes I agree that those that only buy old Märklin don't contribute much to the company's finances today, but all those who buy new Märklin all the time certainly do. I see plenty of people on this forum who post photos of new models as soon as they are available in the shops.

I myself buy several new locos every year, as well as some older ones. I can see I'm not alone in my buying habits.

There will be some who have decided not to buy any more new models, like yourself, but I don't think it's the majority. You may beg to differ of course!
Ray
Offline Frankenbahner  
#25 Posted : 05 September 2014 13:34:10(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Originally Posted by: DamonKelly Go to Quoted Post

Röwa (no longer in business)

This was an extremly advanced firm. They made models such as a finely detail T3 when Märklin still presented a sparely detailled BR 38 (P8) with moulded headlights as new tooling. When Märklin still released new 24 cm tin-plate cars which had no interior furnishings and Fleischmann had poorly detailed plastic cars of the same length, Röwa released finely detailed 1:100 (scale in length) coaches. Röwa was the first manufacturer to introdouce short couplers. They presented a track system with a track bed, similar to Märklin's C track, but with better detailing.

However, when it comes about marketing their products, Röwa wasn't as good as Märklin or Fleischmann were.

They played in the upper price league, prices many customers were not willing to pay. So, Röwa had to file for bancruptcy by the mid-1970s. Most of the moulds were bought by Roco who re-released most of the items.

Röwa's AC items included a Prussian T3 (DRG/DB BR 89), an ET 420 (S-Bahn), or an E 91.

Regards,
Florian
H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Frankenbahner
Offline jvuye  
#26 Posted : 05 September 2014 15:04:19(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
Piko,
Electrotren,
Lima,
Rivarossi (not sure)

UserPostedImage

Yes, that's her!
Once I replaced the original traction tyres with Märklin ones, this one has become an ox of a puller!!Laugh

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline jvuye  
#27 Posted : 05 September 2014 15:07:42(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
I did decides to start this topic to present other factory which also do produce train models for three rail.
I´m not sure if i did count up all...
1.Roco
2.Fleischmann
3.Brawa
4.Jeco
5.NMJ
6.F2010(Hobbytrade)
7.Heljan
8.Liliput
8.HAG

If i did missed more,please write.

Ok Anders, now you probably have 99% of all the ones that actually produced HO 3-rail stuff..
What was the end reason for your asking?
Cheers
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by jvuye
Offline Frankenbahner  
#28 Posted : 05 September 2014 20:13:41(UTC)
Frankenbahner

Originally Posted by: DV Go to Quoted Post
Piko,
Electrotren,
Lima,
Rivarossi (not sure)

UserPostedImage

Yes, that's her!
Once I replaced the original traction tyres with Märklin ones, this one has become an ox of a puller!!Laugh

These ones perform very nicely with an ESU Lokpilot decoder. They can be converted to LED lighting easily and fitted with Sommerfeldt pantographs.

Regards,
Florian

H0 3-rail AC with DCC, MM and mfx, 2-rail DC streetcars, and N gauge
Offline Yumgui  
#29 Posted : 05 September 2014 23:07:29(UTC)
Yumgui

United States   
Ok Anders, now you probably have 99% of all the ones that actually produced HO 3-rail stuff..
Cheers

Uhm,

To add to the 99% list :

VB - Vollon et Brun (makers of prototype for Märklin 3900 track ...)
JRA - Jean-Rene Allard, "Au Pullman"

... albeit 3-rail DC, "old" analog and almost forgotten ... but not quite (no effect on Märklin PiB of course, only on collector rates ...) !

Y Cool
If your M track is rusted ... DON'T throw it out !
Working on: https://studiogang.com/projects/all
My heavy train station renovation: https://youtu.be/QQlyNiq416A
Inspired by: http://www.nakedmarklin.com/... Am not alone in this universe, phew.
Offline kiwiAlan  
#30 Posted : 05 September 2014 23:44:41(UTC)
kiwiAlan

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: Yumgui Go to Quoted Post
Cheers

Uhm,

To add to the 99% list :

VB - Vollon et Brun (makers of prototype for Märklin 3900 track ...)
JRA - Jean-Rene Allard, "Au Pullman"

... albeit 3-rail DC, "old" analog and almost forgotten ... but not quite (no effect on Märklin PiB of course, only on collector rates ...) !

Y Cool

Aye, well if going down that route then you need to include Meccano, who made Hornby Dublo, which used a licensed version of Marklins solid centre rail track.