Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chad0x78  
#1 Posted : 26 August 2014 12:54:10(UTC)
Chad0x78

United States   
Hi all,
I hope you don't mind me asking about Fleischmann products. I do own a lot of Marklin but would like to buy a cheaper setup for the time being. I also should let you know that I am very new to model trains. I just started the hobby this year. My dad has some Marklin Z scale stuff and I am working on a layout and it's getting there. I have spent tons on it to get all the signals and lights and blocks to work on it. And this is all analog using 2 Marklin Mini-club transformers and a 6001 for power. I can only imagine what it will cost me to run a Marklin digital system in Z scale. I do love Marklin trains, so again I hope this is not inappropriate to inquire about another brand.

Lol, okay enough about that. The Fleischmann N scale digital system is around $300 and it comes with a digital controller ( multimaus), some track and a train set. Pretty good deal it seems. I did look at the newer digital units z21 and Z21. Not sure the difference, but I think the multimaus will be plenty for me right now. I would love to run HO but space is limited. The questions I have are these:

1- If a train does not have a decoder in it but has this in the description:

interface  Electrical interface on traction units nach NEM 651 with plug-in fixture....

Then I can put a decoder in this train, right? And is NEM 651 the decoder I need to find?

2- Do all the turnouts need decoders in them too? Will the starter set likely already have decoders in the turnouts if I buy them in a "digital starter set"?

3- I see a lot of track for Fleischmann called Piccolo track, is this track okay for digital operation? If not, what do I need?

4- I believe the digital starter set has a transformer too. I imagine that if you buy one you should be able to run it out-of-the-box, no more items need to be bought. So I don't need to buy more items to run the train in a "digital starter set".

I'm sure I forgot a thing or two. As you can tell I am new to this and would super appreciate any help! Thanks all, take care.

Sincerely,
Chad
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 26 August 2014 13:25:19(UTC)
H0

Hi, Chad!

Re 1: NEM 651 is the standard for the decoder socket. So you have to look for a decoder with a NEM 651 plug that is small enough for N scale.
Most decoders with NEM 651 are probably small, but sizes vary and available room in the locos also varies.

Re 2: Turnouts can still be operated in the "old-fashioned" analogue way - or even by hand. Assume there are no turnout decoders unless explicitly specified.

Re 3: Any track can be used for digital operation (but you may have to remove capacitors from feeder tracks).

Re 4: Transformers are out. There should be a power supply in the set. Probably a power supply for 230 V if you buy from a European seller.
Starter sets should contain all you need to get the trains running, but check the mains voltage.

Z21 (black) is the complete hardware, z21 (white) has fewer sockets and reduced capabilities.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline Chad0x78  
#3 Posted : 28 August 2014 12:52:15(UTC)
Chad0x78

United States   
Thanks Tom,
I appreciate the information. I will be making my purchase of a digital starter set tomorrow. Can't wait BigGrin