Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dinhorail  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2014 21:16:25(UTC)
dinhorail

United Kingdom   
I recently acquired a second hand digital class 628 railcar, model 3676 made in 1990. I have an analogue layout and no plans to go digital – too much emotional attachment to my locos from my childhood and the cost of converting them. I am so grateful to Marklin for making their digital locos analogue compatible. My new addition runs OK but without lights. I know I can rewire the printed circuit board to make the interior lamps work off the track supply. The head and tail lights are no so simple. Does anyone know if the headlights can be made to work under analogue conditions. The forum is a wonderful source of advice and I have done a search but couldn’t find anything specific. There are warnings about not grounding the decoder to the track so I don’t think I can take a feed from the motor field coils to power the head (white) and tail (red) lights. Looking at the forum most of you are digital so the issue doesn’t arise – I can’t help being a dinosaur – I bought my first set, the goods tank engine, catalogue 2939, in 1961 and it still works. Can anyone help?
Offline Webmaster  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2014 21:55:15(UTC)
Webmaster

The lights on the old 6080 (36xx) and 6090 (37xx) decoders is a digital function that is turned off in analog operation by default.

Some rewiring with zener diodes could be done to make them work in analog, if I remember correctly.

With the 60901 decoder & Delta decoders and onwards (later 1990's), the lights are on by default also in analog since I suppose Märklin got a lot of "comments" from analog operators.
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline RayF  
#3 Posted : 15 August 2014 22:09:14(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Juhan makes a good point.

Delta decoders are dirt cheap on ebay. Just replace the 6080 decoder from the railcar with a cheap second hand delta decoder and you get working directional lighting in analogue. It would still operate in digital too, if you changed control method in the future.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline dinhorail  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2014 09:58:13(UTC)
dinhorail

United Kingdom   
Thanks for the suggestions. Juhan - do you recall seeing a wiring diagram anywhere for your zener solution. Is there enough capacity to run the headlights from the motor output of the chip? I don't have any idea of the power capacity of digital components.