Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline muddmover  
#1 Posted : 10 August 2014 00:16:24(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
After redoing the cables to my Cs2 (model 60215), I can no longer turn it on. The red lights under the stop bar wont even light up. The transformer is plugged into a live outlet, so I cant think of whats wrong. Please help, as my layout is crippled until I can turn it on again.
Offline tulit  
#2 Posted : 10 August 2014 00:35:43(UTC)
tulit

Canada   
Originally Posted by: muddmover Go to Quoted Post
After redoing the cables to my Cs2 (model 60215), I can no longer turn it on. The red lights under the stop bar wont even light up. The transformer is plugged into a live outlet, so I cant think of whats wrong. Please help, as my layout is crippled until I can turn it on again.

I'd start by using a voltmeter to measure the output of the transformer. Just to eliminate the easiest thing first.
Offline Janne75  
#3 Posted : 10 August 2014 07:39:14(UTC)
Janne75

Finland   
What do you mean by redoing the cables? If it worked ok before what did you actually change? Maybe some cable or connector damage. Best to first measure the transformer is not dead.
Märklin H0 digital layout. I have analog and digital H0 Collection. Rolling stock mostly from era I, II, III and IV. Märklin 1 gauge beginner.
Offline clapcott  
#4 Posted : 10 August 2014 08:22:02(UTC)
clapcott

New Zealand   
The soldering inside the plug that connects to the CS2 (4 pin but only 2 used) is notoriously bad.
(dry joint - frayed wiring) And if it is going to fail, it wont take much stress/movement to do so - result no power.

Be careful when measuring with a multi-meter, as simply bending the cable while touching the pins with meter probes may be enough for the wire inside to make contact and give the impression that power is present.

Suggest opening the connector and re-soldering the 2 internal wires to the plug pins.

The plug can be disassembled and reassembled although it is a bit tricky.

Replacement plus are available ...
http://jaycar.co.nz/prod...=pp0362&form=KEYWORD

Edited by user 10 August 2014 22:08:15(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Peter
Offline Goofy  
#5 Posted : 10 August 2014 09:20:56(UTC)
Goofy

Redoing cables!?
Why...?
Red=B connecting
Brown=0 connecting

Make sure you must plug connection adapter good into CS2.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline H0  
#6 Posted : 10 August 2014 10:05:38(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: Goofy Go to Quoted Post
Red=B connecting
Brown=0 connecting
If there is no red light on the CS2, then there is no need to check the red and brown output connectors because no power is going into the CS2.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 10 August 2014 14:38:25(UTC)
Goofy

And there is no fault with rectifiers,such there is power from the wall socket.
I guess it´s connection adapter perhaps is default.
H0
Offline Goofy  
#8 Posted : 10 August 2014 14:42:17(UTC)
Goofy

You write transformer...
You mean rectifier...?

H0
Offline muddmover  
#9 Posted : 11 August 2014 18:22:20(UTC)
muddmover

United States   
Thank you all for your prompt responses. By redoing my cables I meant I was doing cable management, rerouting everything, that sort of stuff. After testing the output with a Volt meter and getting nothing, I finally decided to check the fuse in the step up step down transformer, and it was blown. Silly me for not checking it. It survived two and a half years of daily use, so it was probably just it's time to blow. A quick run to the hardware store and I have several backups now. Thank you all for your suggestions.
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by muddmover