Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline dougchartier  
#1 Posted : 07 August 2014 19:10:15(UTC)
dougchartier

United States   
Hello,

I'm new model trains, so please forgive my ignorance.

I purchased a Trix box car (see here for details: http://www.ebay.com/itm/...Name=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT) for my Marklin set. When it arrived, I was surprised to see it had Kadee couplers.

Is there a way I can convert the Kadee couplers to Marklin couplers? And if so, what kind of Marklin couplers would I need? The couplers on this Trix boxcar are held in place by a screw through the wheel assembly and attached to a spring that runs transversely along the bottom of the boxcar. By contrast, several of my other cars had couplers that didn't use springs (and, in some cases, were held in place by plastic knobs rather than screws). If you think a particular coupler part number would be appropriate, I'd much appreciate it.

Many thanks!

Best,
Doug
Offline H0  
#2 Posted : 07 August 2014 20:07:14(UTC)
H0

Hi, doug,
Welcome to the forum!

According to the product database the cars have NEM pockets.
So you only need Märklin E701630 (bag of 10) or Märklin 7203 (bag of 50).
Some dealers will sell them individually.

The cars have RP25 wheelsets. You could also buy the normal Märklin wheelsets 320 551.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by H0
Offline dougchartier  
#3 Posted : 07 August 2014 20:14:09(UTC)
dougchartier

United States   
Thanks, so much! I've heard of NEM pockets, and I'll look into those coupler parts.

Is there any reason I need to change the wheelsets?

Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
Hi, doug,
Welcome to the forum!

According to the product database the cars have NEM pockets.
So you only need Märklin E701630 (bag of 10) or Märklin 7203 (bag of 50).
Some dealers will sell them individually.

The cars have RP25 wheelsets. You could also buy the normal Märklin wheelsets 320 551.

Offline waorb  
#4 Posted : 07 August 2014 20:57:17(UTC)
waorb

Brazil   
Originally Posted by: dougchartier Go to Quoted Post
I've heard of NEM pockets, and I'll look into those coupler parts.

Hello Doug!
And Welcome!

If you need the opposite, and/or don't want or couldn't exchange the couplers of your Trix wagon, Kadee have the 'conversion' coupler to Märklin.

You could roll your Trix wagon between two others Märklin wagons with one kind of below couplers installed on each.

http://www.kadee.com/conv/hocc_marklin.htm
http://www.kadee.com/htmbord/page18.htm

Kadee produces 4 different sizes, e.g., #17, #18, #19 and #20 (exchange the page number above accordingly to see a picture).

Cheers,

Walter
Offline H0  
#5 Posted : 07 August 2014 21:17:14(UTC)
H0

Do you have a Märklin level crossing? It won't close for cars with Trix wheels.
I never tried RP25 wheels. Piko cars with Piko DC wheelsets derail easily while Roco or Fleischmann DC wheelsets work fine for me.

RP25 has much smaller flanges. Give that car a push and let it roll over a turnout in all possible ways. Does it stay on track? Fine if it does. Otherwise, consider replacing the wheels.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline jvuye  
#6 Posted : 08 August 2014 07:48:06(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Thanks, so much! I've heard of NEM pockets, and I'll look into those coupler parts.

Hi Doug and welcome!

In my years of living in the US I converted many NMRA /US spec vehicle to the Märklin system, so I had the opportunity to research on the difference and find a reliable solution.

Tom (aka HO) pointed correctly to the fact that NMRA wheel sets are insulated and what this can do to the operation of a 3 rail layout)

The mechanical aspect is actually more serious.

The key difference is that your original RP 25 wheels have a shallower flange depth. They are designed to run on track and switches with a lower rail profile

On normal track (as in "no switches") these flanges are not a problem as long as you have perfectly laid track, no knicks,etc.

On Märklin switches and double slips , where the flanges support the weight of the car as it passes over the counter rail section, the wheel will "dip" a few tens of a mm, making for a "bumpy" ride.

Unfortunately, the problem there is not only "cosmetic" Crying : in many cases the car could derail Angry ...and often the wheel tyre will short by hitting the adjacent center rail stud.Cursing

Using the proper replacement axles on your Trix Boxcar will definitively solve the problem.Cool

On other brands, it is not always possible to find the proper replacement axles: either the axles have the wrong shape and/or dimensions or there are interferences with the deeper flanges and the vehicle body.

But you might get lucky: I recently bought 20 pieces of UP 40ft livestock cars from Athearn...and lo and behold , all my theories failed RollEyes : with their original RP25 wheels, the cars run flawlessly on my (C-track) layout! Laugh

Model railroad is fun: it still brings some randomness to our lives! LOL

Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline foumaro  
#7 Posted : 08 August 2014 11:17:04(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
I have bought all the trix 24902 set with the 20 wagons.You have to change the wheels ,you will have derailments on switches like 24611,24612,24671,24672,etc.
Offline Dangermouse  
#8 Posted : 08 August 2014 17:53:53(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Kadees are wonderful couplers, but I'd have thought that the trip pin would hit the centre pickup studs on pointwork. There wasn't much clearance between it and the rails when I used them on DC a few years ago, and that was after I'd set them all up properly using the height gauge.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline jvuye  
#9 Posted : 08 August 2014 19:04:59(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Originally Posted by: Dangermouse Go to Quoted Post
Kadees are wonderful couplers, but I'd have thought that the trip pin would hit the centre pickup studs on pointwork. There wasn't much clearance between it and the rails when I used them on DC a few years ago, and that was after I'd set them all up properly using the height gauge.

You are 100% right!
However the solution is simple...bend them a bit higher!
There is even a special plier to perform this task
( http://www.trainworld.co...for-hon3-to-o-scale-237/ )
It will no longer be "spec"...still they work perfectly as long as you use a manual uncoupler.
http://www.trainworld.co...built-in-spring-pic-241/
Since I have no hands-on experience on the subject, I cannot offer any advice on automatic (track) uncoupling ...but I'm sure someone can add his own experience to this thread!
Cheers

Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!
Offline dougchartier  
#10 Posted : 11 August 2014 18:18:33(UTC)
dougchartier

United States   
Thanks for all the helpful advice guys!