Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline mike c  
#1 Posted : 05 August 2014 19:56:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
The first models of the new Maerklin SBB Re 482 have started showing up on ebay.de.
For those who expect the model to look like what Maerklin posted in their new items brochure or the earlier Trix 22631, I am sorry to have to announce that Maerklin seems to have missed the mark again.

The following image was taken from one ebay auction:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/S...AAOSwGvhT4K0q/%24_57.JPG
http://www.ebay.de/itm/S...6-Neuware-/171411885470?

What immediately popped out was the thin red line between the blue painted part and the roof. I guess that Maerklin used red as the base paint and then painted the blue section over it, leaving a thin strip at the top of the side panels. I was also very disappointed to note that the assorted cutouts and detail features in the blue and grey areas have traces of the red that indicate that the paint job was not done very professionally.
I was excited to receive a Re 482 with the new UIC markings, but the appearance leaves a lot to be desired.

In comparison, here is a photo of the earlier Trix 22631, where you can see that the livery was rendered with much more care and pride:
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/T...AAOSwGzlTvmD1/%24_57.JPG
http://www.ebay.de/itm/T...-SBB-Ep-V-/231279460738?

I am preparing to fire off my customary letter to Maerklin and am considering putting this acquisition on hold pending the resolution of this subpar paint job.

Regards

Mike C

Urls fixed by your friendly neighbourhood moderator. All part of the service.

Edited by moderator 06 August 2014 05:18:31(UTC)  | Reason: Urls fixed - illegal characters

thanks 1 user liked this useful post by mike c
Offline Renato  
#2 Posted : 05 August 2014 20:04:39(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi Mike,

Sorry, both links are not working.

Cheers

Renato
Offline Webmaster  
#3 Posted : 05 August 2014 21:00:02(UTC)
Webmaster

And it's not really a review, is it?

Moved to general H0...
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Webmaster
H0
Offline steventrain  
#4 Posted : 05 August 2014 22:12:23(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Hi Mike,

Yes, I have notice it. It is a error painting at factory.

>Marklin 37446 Ebay< click to zoom.

This one from stummi >Stummi 37446< look prefect!
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline Dangermouse  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2014 22:19:45(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Ok on a Hobby/starter set loco, but not on something costing over €200.
You can never have too many Silberlinge
Offline mike c  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2014 01:24:47(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

The pictures that appear at first in the Stummi post are the Trix 22631. A few posts below, there is a photo of the Demonstrator (Handmuster) model of the new Maerklin model (Right click and select open in new tab)
https://abload.de/img/ha...stervonmrklin37zmupo.jpg

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 06 August 2014 01:27:41(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: Webmaster Go to Quoted Post
And it's not really a review, is it?

Moved to general H0...

As seem to be the case with many of the recent items that I order, the review starts out with some issue with the model at release, followed by the actual delivery and then the completion of the review to include more details about the functionality and operation of the model once it has crossed the pond.

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#8 Posted : 06 August 2014 08:14:20(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: mike c Go to Quoted Post
As seem to be the case with many of the recent items that I order, the review starts out with some issue with the model at release, followed by the actual delivery and then the completion of the review to include more details about the functionality and operation of the model once it has crossed the pond.
IMHO a Review should be a Review: a hands on test of the real thing with own photographs.

So far we are discussing pictures showing on eBay and the famous hand-made samples showed at exhibitions - and so far nobody has commented how she runs.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by H0
Offline Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS  
#9 Posted : 06 August 2014 08:52:55(UTC)
Oliver SBB-CFF-FFS

Sweden   
Regarding the discussion as to whether this is a review at the moment or not I will not say, but I do like the information posted however.
It is a pity the paint job is not better on this model. If it would have been I would probably have considered one of these locos.

Is the Trix version easy to convert to 3 rail? If it is that might be an option I guess?
SBB Era IV - VI
Offline RayF  
#10 Posted : 06 August 2014 08:56:29(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Is it not the same body? Why would Marklin make a perfect example for Trix and a flawed one for Marklin?

Is it not possible that what we have is a one-off flawed model that was missed by the quality inspection? Maybe the bulk of the new models are perfectly OK?
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by RayF
Offline steventrain  
#11 Posted : 06 August 2014 10:05:44(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Originally Posted by: steventrain Go to Quoted Post
Hi Mike,

The pictures that appear at first in the Stummi post are the Trix 22631. A few posts below, there is a photo of the Demonstrator (Handmuster) model of the new Maerklin model (Right click and select open in new tab)
https://abload.de/img/ha...stervonmrklin37zmupo.jpg

Regards

Mike C

Oop Sorry, I thought it was Marklin model so I will contact Marklin about the 37446 issue.
Large Marklinist 3- Rails Layout with CS2/MS2/Boosters/C-track/favorites Electric class E03/BR103, E18/E118, E94, Crocodiles/Steam BR01, BR03, BR05, BR23, BR44, BR50, Big Boy.
Offline H0  
#12 Posted : 06 August 2014 12:05:26(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: RayF Go to Quoted Post
Is it not possible that what we have is a one-off flawed model that was missed by the quality inspection? Maybe the bulk of the new models are perfectly OK?
As of today we have two offers on eBay - and both are flawed.

Between printing and boxing, the loco goes through many different hands (windows and roof details will be added, it gets clipped onto the loco frame, it gets a test run, finally it is packed into a box) and the dealer took it out of the box and took a photo instead of sending it back.
Several instances of quality inspection missed those flaws.

On Märklin TV we always see that each body is taken out of the printing machine by hand and gets a close inspection with a magnifying glass ...

I think we will soon see more and more pictures on eBay and maybe also on MRR fora.

Is it not the same body? Why would Marklin make a perfect example for Trix and a flawed one for Marklin?
Maybe they used airbrush for the Trix version and now tampon printing for the Märklin version.
Air brushing is done by hand, tampon printing is done by a robot.

A lot can go wrong with manual airbrushing, but robotized tampon printing gives reproducible results.
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline RayF  
#13 Posted : 06 August 2014 12:33:21(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
I don't understand why Marklin would use a different process for the Marklin version.

Still, I hope this gets resolved in the next batch.

Meanwhile, I'm sure many who have bought the new model might not even have noticed the imperfections. It took me a while to see where the problem was, even after it had been pointed out.

Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline biedmatt  
#14 Posted : 06 August 2014 13:38:13(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
I don't understand why Marklin would use a different process for the Marklin version.

Meanwhile, I'm sure many who have bought the new model might not even have noticed the imperfections. It took me a while to see where the problem was, even after it had been pointed out.

Tampo printing start up cost more than airbrushing, but labor cost is less. Perhaps they plan to make enough of the Marklin version that it became cost affective to change.
Provided they did change production methods. I think that is just speculation at this point.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by biedmatt
RayFH0
Offline H0  
#15 Posted : 06 August 2014 22:44:05(UTC)
H0

Originally Posted by: biedmatt Go to Quoted Post
I think that is just speculation at this point.
Just speculation. But explains what the pictures are showing.
I haven't heard any other plausible explanations.

Third dealer (lokmuseum.de) is showing pictures - same flaws as the other two.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#16 Posted : 07 August 2014 03:18:24(UTC)
mike c

Canada   

The Trix model was in 2008. The Maerklin model is 2014. The Maerklin loco has a different road number than the Trix one. Maerklin already used that one in the hobby 36606.

There remains NO excuse for this shoddy paint job. Maerklin already received numerous complaints about the 37360 that had a very similar issue. If you want to see how Maerklin resolved that one, compare the Maerklin 37360 (corrected) with the Trix 22775. On that model, the main body was also painted red and then the blue was painted over the red, leaving an exposed red line at the top edge of the blue. Maerklin corrected this on the 37360 by either changing the base colour to blue and then painting the red sections over the blue, or by simply repainting the top edge of the blue section so that it was contiguous to the grey roof.

Here is the problem with this model:

1) There is a red line between the blue painted section and the grey roof.
2) The red paint (base coat) is visible underneath the handrails and inside the assorted cutouts in the locomotive shell
3) The red paint can also be seen around the cab side windows

All of these details are not prototypical, they are readily noticeable and detract from the model
I suspect that the base colour on the Trix model was blue and not red like the current model.

I have instructed my dealer to place my order on hold and to contact Maerklin to see whether they will repaint the loco.
I am waiting for the reply.

I just paid $60 to send my new 37347 back to Goeppingen because it was missing some wiring on delivery and I just paid a similar amount to send my ordered ACME "Ambrogio" container cars back to the dealer because the coupling shafts were jamming and the middle bogie was not freely rotating.
I am not in the mood to have to spend an additional amount to get a correct loco. This time they had better get it right before they ship it across the pond.
At $300+ per loco, I am not going to accept a model that could have been much better with a few minutes more work and care by the staff and management.

One last thing. If anybody wants a review, here it is (37465 DB 146):

With one added comment: The paint job on the SBB version SUCKS

Regards

Mike C
Offline H0  
#17 Posted : 07 August 2014 21:03:01(UTC)
H0

I suspect that the base colour on the Trix model was blue and not red like the current model.
No, it had a red body - blue was painted over red (just with higher accuracy).

One last thing. If anybody wants a review, here it is (37465 DB 146):

With one added comment: The paint job on the SBB version SUCKS
In the grey area the paint job is as bad as with the new Re 482.
It looks much better with the old Trix BR 146.2.
Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline mike c  
#18 Posted : 08 August 2014 18:43:33(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: H0 Go to Quoted Post
No, it had a red body - blue was painted over red (just with higher accuracy).

I based my assumption on the fact that the lining of the cabin side windows and the cutouts on the loco shell were blue.
In DSO forum it was suggested that the Trix model was probably airbrushed and the new Maerklin model might have had the blue applied by pad impression *aka Tampondruck)

I asked my dealer to look into this situation with Maerklin and his reply was that "communication with Maerklin is very difficult"

That does not leave a good feeling in my gut.

Regards

Mike C
Offline steventrain  
#19 Posted : 08 August 2014 19:27:43(UTC)
steventrain

United Kingdom   
Still not hear from Marklin on 37446 painting problem.
Offline mike c  
#20 Posted : 26 August 2014 06:08:16(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I have not heard any reply from Goeppingen, so I sent my original message again. I hope to receive the standard acknowledgement and then a reply within a few days time.
I have decided that I will NOT buy this item if Maerklin does not correct the paint job. I would be willing to accept the model with the shell from the Trix 22631 or even with the white Crossrail shell from the 22636 but the 37446 shell is NOT acceptable AS IS.

Regards

Mike C
H0
Offline mike c  
#21 Posted : 07 October 2014 03:01:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here is the latest update. I decided to go ahead and order the 37446. It arrived today. My first action was to replace the shell of the new loco with one from the Trix 22631 from 2008. The shells took two seconds to swap and I now have a Maerklin model that meets my expectations. The 22631 has older markings and does not have the latest UIC number 91 85 4482 036-1 CH-SBBC but the original Re 482 046-0, the same as Maerklin's 36606. It would have been nice to have the model with the latest inscriptions, but having a model that has the correct paint job is more important to me than lettering that can only be seen close-up.

Regards

Mike C

Here are some photos of the model after the shell swap. You will notice that it now has a black frame around the side windows of the cab, no red colour visible at the top of the side panel, underneath the handrails or inside the various cut-outs in the loco body:
mike c attached the following image(s):
37446 482046.1.jpg
37446 482046.2.jpg
37446 482046.3.jpg
37446 482046.4.jpg
37446 482046.5.jpg
H0
Offline mike c  
#22 Posted : 07 October 2014 03:12:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Here are the photos of the 37446 in it's original condition when received (before the swap):
The first one shows the red paint visible in the window frame of the side cab window, at the top edge of the blue painted side panel, underneath the handrail, the camera and the cut-outs in the loco shell.
The second one shows the red line at the edge of the roof and inside the cut-outs in the loco shell.
The third one shows the other end, with the roofline, the handrails, the cab window and the cut-outs
The fourth one is a close-up of the handrail showing very clearly how visible the red is.
The last one is the 22631 on the left and the 37446 on the right.

Regards

Mike C
37446 Red Windows Roofline Camera Mirrors Cutouts.jpg
37446 Red Roofline and Cutouts.jpg
37446 Red Roofline Camera Window Frame 2.jpg
37446 Red Handrail.jpg
22631L-37446R.jpg
thanks 3 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mike c  
#23 Posted : 07 October 2014 04:07:22(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
And now, finally, a review of the locomotive. The 37446 is the latest model of the SBB Re 482 and the first one delivered with factory sound included. The model has a plastic shell. Some may feel that this takes away from the model, but I find that it allows for details much more accurate than in most metal shelled models. Paint issues aside, the model is as detailed as models by Roco, ACME or other manufacturers. The roof details are top notch. The pantographs are standard Sommerfeldt OEM for Maerklin, but they are properly spaced and look much better than on the Hobby/My World models.
One other positive note, unlike most of my other Maerklin locos, this model comes standard with close-coupling shaft and 7203 coupler, which enables prototypical buffer to buffer operation. The sounds are appropriate for the locomotive type. So far, I have only tested it using my 6021. I hope to test it with my MS2 later this week.
The loco runs very quietly and responds very nicely to changes in speed. I hope that we will eventually see more similar models from Maerklin, on condition that they take the time to get the paint job right. I would definitely be interested if a BLS Re 485 or DBAG class 185 with four pantographs were to be released.

Most likely, this locomotive will find duty pulling one of my private freight trains. I will probably use the metal locos (36851 and 36606) for a double traction Hupac ROLA train and use the 37446 and my Roco Re 482s to pull my assorted container and petroleum trains. It may even see some use hauling my Liliput AAE/Swiss Post container train or my Cargo Domino container train.

Regards

Mike C

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline mmervine  
#24 Posted : 07 October 2014 04:17:23(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Wow...that's a really bad paint job...completely unacceptable!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/
Offline mike c  
#25 Posted : 07 October 2014 04:25:00(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Video will be posted once it is on YouTube

Mike
Offline H0  
#26 Posted : 07 October 2014 08:06:58(UTC)
H0

I hope that we will eventually see more similar models from Maerklin, on condition that they take the time to get the paint job right.
If there are enough people who let them know that the paintjob of the 37446 is considered "not acceptable", then maybe they will return to the old printing quality.

Regards
Tom
---
UserPostedImage
Offline rbw993  
#27 Posted : 07 October 2014 19:54:54(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Thanks Mike, I had thought of purchasing this loco when I saw it in the catalog but after seeing your pictures I have decided not to spend the money.

Regards,
Roger
Offline sjlauritsen  
#28 Posted : 07 October 2014 20:36:35(UTC)
sjlauritsen

Denmark   
the red paint visible in the window frame of the side cab window, at the top edge of the blue painted side panel, underneath the handrail, the camera and the cut-outs in the loco shell.

Not that it is any excuse, but the Roco model has the exact same curse. They did not paint the inside of the window frame. I took my model apart and did it myself. It makes a world of difference. I would of course prefer not to have to do it, but it is a work-around.

I have had the Trix models for ages, they are very good runners and I truly love them. The Roco counterpart "only" has a standard NEM 652 plug and does not come with the option to turn off the red taillights. I like that feature about the Trix models. The running conditions of the Roco and the Trix models are about the same.
Søren from Denmark
Blog: https://railway.zone/ | Danish Model Railway Forum: https://baneforum.dk/
Offline mike c  
#29 Posted : 07 October 2014 21:23:29(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: rbw993 Go to Quoted Post
Thanks Mike, I had thought of purchasing this loco when I saw it in the catalog but after seeing your pictures I have decided not to spend the money.

Regards,
Roger

Roger,

I found a Trix 22631 at Schweickhardt for around 100 EUR (on sale/no VAT) and added that to my regular order. With shipping, it worked out to around 125 EUR for the loco. I swapped shells with the 37446 and am extremely happy with the model, but pissed off that it cost extra to get it satisfactory. I will have to decide what I will do with the Trix model and the unsatisfactory shell. Maybe I will simply strip out the motor and use it as a dummy banker. Because it is a plastic loco, it should have the perfect weight so as not to cause a freight train to derail.

Regards

Mike C
Offline mike c  
#30 Posted : 07 October 2014 21:28:05(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Originally Posted by: sjlauritsen Go to Quoted Post
the red paint visible in the window frame of the side cab window, at the top edge of the blue painted side panel, underneath the handrail, the camera and the cut-outs in the loco shell.

Not that it is any excuse, but the Roco model has the exact same curse. They did not paint the inside of the window frame. I took my model apart and did it myself. It makes a world of difference. I would of course prefer not to have to do it, but it is a work-around.

I have had the Trix models for ages, they are very good runners and I truly love them. The Roco counterpart "only" has a standard NEM 652 plug and does not come with the option to turn off the red taillights. I like that feature about the Trix models. The running conditions of the Roco and the Trix models are about the same.

Søren,

I have the 69592, 69599 (Holcim) and 69591.1 (ChemOil) and none of those locos has a problem with the red paint and the cab side windows. The only issue that I have found with the 69592 and 69591.1 is that the black painted section around the front windows is not 100% exact. I also have the 68506 (Re 482.2) without this problem either. Which Roco model do you have and can you post a photo of the problem?

Regards

Mike C
69592 Re 482 002.jpg
69591.1 Re 482 028 Chemoil.jpg
69599 Re 482 009 Holcim.jpg
68506 Re 482 039.jpg
Offline rbw993  
#31 Posted : 07 October 2014 21:31:43(UTC)
rbw993

United States   
Interesting solution, Mike. I have always thought it would be great if manufacturers offered dummies with a different road number so that double-heading could be done more economically. It is rare that a single powered engine can't pull a train that will fit on a model railroad layout. I suppose it is not cost effective for the manufacturers as they won't sell as many as the powered units and wouldn't be that much cheaper to make if they included digital control for lights and/or sound.

Roger
Offline biedmatt  
#32 Posted : 07 October 2014 21:37:35(UTC)
biedmatt

United States   
Lame. That someone approved it for production is simply shameful.
Matt
Era 3
DB lokos, coaches and freight cars from across Europe
But I do have the obligatory (six) SBB Krocs
ECoS 50200, all FX and MFX decoders replaced with ESU V4s, operated in DCC-RailCom+ with ABC brake control.
With the exception of the passenger wagens with Marklin current conducting couplers, all close couplers have been replaced with Roco 40397.
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by biedmatt
H0
Offline mike c  
#33 Posted : 08 October 2014 20:10:17(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
After a long delay, here is the video:

The loco looks amazing with the 22631 shell. I already have the 36606 with the same loco number (482 046) but as I am unlikely to use the two locos together, it should not be a problem. I had been intending to convert the 22631 to AC, but never got around to it. The paintwork aside, the model is very nice and I hope to see other similar models in the future (BLS Re 485, DB 185 with 4 pantographs, etc).

For a full video on the running qualities check out this one of the similar BR 146:

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bart  
#34 Posted : 09 October 2014 19:33:07(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Mike,
Thank you for the photos and the review.
It would be nice to see a photo comparison between the 36606 and 37446/22631
*Bart
Offline mike c  
#35 Posted : 09 October 2014 20:08:34(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
I had previously posted some photos of that comparison in an older thread: https://www.marklin-user...-AC-2014.aspx#post440971
The photos were originally uploaded in this thread about the comparison between Roco's 68506, Maerklin's 36851, 36606 and Trix's 22631:
https://www.marklin-user...co-68501.aspx#post319030

Regards

Mike C
Offline Bart  
#36 Posted : 09 October 2014 21:44:22(UTC)
Bart

Netherlands   
Thanks! Very detailed comparison.
*Bart
Offline mmervine  
#37 Posted : 30 October 2014 22:39:16(UTC)
mmervine

United States   
Mike-this looks great after the shell swap with the Trix model. After seeing the paint job, I decided to go the other route and picked up a 36606. I found a used one in mint condition at a great price. I will replace the decoder with a Lokpilot and paint the roof details and doublehead it with my 36607.

Thanks for all of the info on the 37446!
Märklin C-track, Marklin Digital & ECoS, multi-era French & Swiss
http://www.ete-ene.org/m...mervines-layout-gallery/