Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Chad0x78  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2014 12:32:36(UTC)
Chad0x78

United States   
Hi all. I hope someone can help me with this. I have a transformer that looks like it may have come from a computer but its a bit bigger. Anyways the specs say it is 120VAC Input and 16VAC output. Just as the Marklin 6001 is 120In/16Out. It is a 4A transformer. If I use Ohm's law I figure the power to be around 60W or 60VA. Does anyone know if I can use this transformer in place of the 6001? And the output of the transformer is two wires ( they are both housed in one wire) , but I can splice them and each would represent the yellow and grey terminal. And since the output is the secondary of a step-down transformer, they are not polarized, and it would not matter which way they are hooked up? I'm pretty sure about that one but would like to hear from someone that knows. Thanks.
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2014 14:05:18(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
The Marklin transformers include over-current and short circuit protection. I would be wary of using an unprotected transformer. You can draw a lot of current from a transformer connected directly to the mains!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by RayF
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 01 August 2014 10:22:13(UTC)
Goofy

An transformer is power feeder for the digital system or accessories.
To use other products without protection against short circuit is not good for the digital system.
Today we have rectifiers to feed power more safety for the digital system.
I have an transformer at 15 volt and 50 VA to feed accessories,but i also use miniature fuse at 1 Amp each,to feed street lighting and house ligthing.

Goofy attached the following image(s):
DSC_0017.JPG
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 4 users liked this useful post by Goofy
Offline mike c  
#4 Posted : 01 August 2014 20:27:04(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
Many times, transformers exceed the posted voltage or wattage. This can damage the equipment and would likely void any warranty. I think that you can safely use a generic transformer (once tested) to provide voltage for lights on the layout, but I would not recommend using anything other than an approved transformer for use with any digital controller or rail-related components. Plain and simple, it is not worth the risk.

Regards

Mike C
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by mike c
Offline rschaffr  
#5 Posted : 01 August 2014 21:34:08(UTC)
rschaffr

United States   
I have been using home made transformers for years. I have circuit breakers on all circuits to protect from over-current. I used a 16v 35amp filament transformer to provide 10 separate feeds, each protected at 4 amp. Been running on that since 2004.
UserPostedImage
-Ron
Digital, Epoch IV-V(K-track/IB), Epoch III(C-track/6021/6036/6051)
http://www.sem-co.com/~rschaffr/trains/trains.html
thanks 2 users liked this useful post by rschaffr
Offline Chad0x78  
#6 Posted : 02 August 2014 19:59:49(UTC)
Chad0x78

United States   
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I should have mentioned it has a 5A fuse built into the transformer, so it does have circuit protection. I really think I'm okay there. I run an analog z scale circuit and will only use the transformer for signals like the 89390-89395 signals. I have the marklin 0296 layout book and it shows ways to connect signals to the layout. In one case it calls for a 6001, a control box like a 7272, two relays 7244. And it would operate an 89390 and 89392 signal. The example also shows two of the transformer terminals being used. A yellow terminal and a brown terminal. The yellow goes to the 7272 control box, the brown goes to the two 7244 relays. But aren't the outputs the same? Outputs of a transformer are not polarized and therefor you could connect the wires backwards and the signals will still operate the same, right? Can anyone tell me if that is true?
Offline Goofy  
#7 Posted : 02 August 2014 20:30:44(UTC)
Goofy

L=yellow wires to feed power to accessories
0=Brown wires is recirculation

I use brown to the control box,while yellow feed to the turnout or signal.
This is standard for Märklins products.
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by Goofy