Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline Johnvr  
#1 Posted : 28 July 2014 17:46:40(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

I had a bad weekend frying decoders Cursing Cursing Cursing Cursing

I have previously converted about 25 of my locos to digital using various combinations of decoder and motor kits. I have always used Marklin products in the conversions, so I feel that I am quiet experienced in decoder installations.

But I lost the plot this past weekend. Don't know why ??Confused Confused

My recent purchase was 3 x 60760 kits and 2 x 60945 Steam Sound kits, and I had been looking forward to the weekend to install these, replacing various Delta chips in locomotives and installations in Analog locomotives.

First of all, I installed a 60760 kit into a DB Class 03. Completed the full installation and ran the locomotive beautifully up and down the track prior to placing the locomotive body onto the chassis. Lovely smooth runner, she was. Then I placed the body onto the chassis, and I must have dislodged an insulator inside. Next minute, I placed her on the track, and there were sparks and smoke, for a wire must have short-circuited inside. Boom - decoder gone.

Next up was Marklin Sound Decoder 60945 into 3048 Class 01 classic. I fitted all of the wires, soldered everything up, etc, then fitted the decoder to the base plate. Only problem was (which I didn't realise) - I placed the decoder upside down Cursing Cursing Cursing on the base plate. Switched it on the track, heard a buzzing sound, so switched it off. Tried again - same buzzing thing. Adjusted some wires, tried again - same thing. I just didn't realise what was wrong Blink Blink Blink . Anyway, tried some more but then phoooof .. went up in smoke.Cursing Cursing Cursing

I am seriously hurting at the moment, with a deflated ego.Mad Mad Mad

I suppose these things happen .. just gotta get on with it Cool Cool Crying Crying

Regards,BigGrin BigGrin BigGrin
John

thanks 2 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline RayF  
#2 Posted : 28 July 2014 17:52:34(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
These things happen, John!

Don't be discouraged, but make sure you learn some lessons from these bad experiences. I bet you won't fit a decoder upside down again!

Let us know how the other conversions went.
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline Goofy  
#3 Posted : 28 July 2014 18:49:20(UTC)
Goofy

Bad luck John! ThumbDown
Just keep on and try to avoid repeat mistakes...
H0
DCC = Digital Command Control
Offline foumaro  
#4 Posted : 28 July 2014 20:04:48(UTC)
foumaro

Greece   
We cannot learn anything in our life without mistakes.BigGrin RollEyes
Offline Chris6382chris  
#5 Posted : 28 July 2014 20:25:40(UTC)
Chris6382chris

United States   
Hi John. Sorry to hear of your misfortune. Hang in there. For some reason the decoder in my 34910, E41 just went out on me a week ago. So I feel your pain. So frustrating.

Chris
Offline MikeR  
#6 Posted : 28 July 2014 20:43:11(UTC)
MikeR

United States   
Hi John

Sorry to hear about your problems. Have managed to blow one or two sensor boards and point motors though.

Still busy with my layout so I have not got around to modernising some of my older locomotives. A way to go before my layout is completed so maybe next year.
Mike
Digital - C track with CS2 and Railroad&Co TrainController; feedback using LocoIO via a Locobuffer
Analog - M track with solid centre rail (after C track layout is complete)
Collect all Eras - especially Crocodiles
Member of ETE
Previously a member of the Marklin Modellers' Group Johannesburg
Offline mike c  
#7 Posted : 28 July 2014 21:47:02(UTC)
mike c

Canada   
When I get new locomotives, I always check to see whether they are ESU. If they are, I save the profile using the Lokprogrammer software. This has enabled me to buy aftermarket ESU decoders and program it using the original locomotive parameters as set by the manufacturer. I wish that I could do the same for the Zimo and Maerklin decoders too.

Regards

Mike C
Offline Renato  
#8 Posted : 29 July 2014 16:21:42(UTC)
Renato

Italy   
Hi John,

Sorry to hear these unlucky episodes.

However keep continuing to make digital upgrades, with more attention.

Mistakes are part of our lives. Cursing

Cheers

Renato
Offline rugauger  
#9 Posted : 29 July 2014 20:23:24(UTC)
rugauger

United Kingdom   
Sorry to hear that. It's always very frustrating when you "fry" a decoder. Happened to me once or twice, too. I guess it happens to most people who do their own conversions at some point or other.

Heads up - your next conversion will be perfect!
Richard
Offline Joseph Meiring  
#10 Posted : 29 July 2014 22:58:45(UTC)
Joseph Meiring

South Africa   
Oh no John - so sorry to hear about this, I know how much you were looking forward to getting these locos up and running - and you have done so many conversions already, and how beautifully the locos run and with SOUND!!...as Richard says, the next conversion will be perfect.....
See you soon, Joe
Offline Webmaster  
#11 Posted : 29 July 2014 23:09:24(UTC)
Webmaster

I fried a 6090 decoder once... Similar thing, the BR 80 ran fine "naked" but fried when the metal body went on...

Showed that I had to mount the motor shield upside down to avoid the body short of the motor shield brush spring holder assembly...

The 6090 kit was about 150 Euros in Sweden in those days... Crying

A small piece of isolation tape would have saved some money in the first place... Glare
Juhan - "Webmaster", at your service...
He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes. He who does not ask a question remains a fool forever. [Old Chinese Proverb]
Offline Jay  
#12 Posted : 30 July 2014 07:19:08(UTC)
Jay

South Africa   

Hello all,

I am the safest digital converter BigGrin . I have purchased some 4 various
decoders and never burnt a single one Love .
I might also add that I have not installed a single one Crying .
Just feel too intimidated but have to take the plunge soon with the help of the forum Drool .
Jay
Offline drwhitl  
#13 Posted : 30 July 2014 11:51:36(UTC)
drwhitl

Hi John,

Just a hint..............Do you have an ESU decoder programmer??

WHile that device will not read or configure Märklin decoders, it is never the less useful at installation time: After installing decoders I *always* do a first power up test with the decoder programmer. When used with the original power pack that came with it, the programmer is incapable of supplying more than about 300 or 400 mA - not enough to blow up a decoder, so one can make a complete and utter hash of the installation and the worst that happens is it doesn't work.

Once you have things so that he decoder programmer will move the loco and the functions work, then one can be reasonably confident and place it on the track with some real power.

cheers
Dennis
thanks 1 user liked this useful post by drwhitl
Offline Chook  
#14 Posted : 30 July 2014 15:07:09(UTC)
Chook

Australia   
John - you are also a muso?
Muso's have amps.
Amps blow up as well.
Do you have a muso tech who could have a look at your decoders for you? They too are now dealing with the tiny surface mount electronics that we use in model railway control.

Just a thought!

Regards.....Chook.
Offline Johnvr  
#15 Posted : 06 September 2014 22:45:13(UTC)
Johnvr

South Africa   
Hi all,

Aha .. feeling much better about decoder conversions today !Cool Cool

Installed a 60945 Steam Sound decoder into my BR003 today, and it goes like a charm !
So, I have installed 60945 into both of my BR003s. I'm soon going to double-head them, .. choof, choof, choof, choof, .. could be nice !Drool Drool

Then also replaced Delta decoder in one of my 3005 locos with a 60943 motor and 60760 decoder. Also runs nicely, and joins company with my 2 x DA800 and another 3005, now all having the same 60943 / 60760 decoder combination. Hey, I can run 4 of these together too !Drool Drool

Tomorrow is for another Delta decoder to be replaced in 3003 set.

All of these emerging Delta decoders from replacements are going into my old CM800 / 3000 tank locos. Soon I shall have 8 x CM800 / 3000 tank locos with delta decoders. Maybe they can all dance together Flapper Flapper

You see, I have overcome my earlier disappointment last month when I bungled the installations, lessons learnt, and continue !

Regards,BigGrin
John
thanks 5 users liked this useful post by Johnvr
Offline RayF  
#16 Posted : 07 September 2014 10:04:16(UTC)
RayF

Gibraltar   
Good for you, John!

It's great when you get things right and it all works as it should!
Ray
Mostly Marklin.Selection of different eras and European railways
Small C track layout, control by MS2, 100+ trains but run 4-5 at a time.
Offline jvuye  
#17 Posted : 07 September 2014 10:14:42(UTC)
jvuye

Belgium   
Happy to read that John!
If the number of fried decoders is an indication of the level of experience...I am very experienced indeed.Laugh
Cheers
Jacques Vuye aka Dr.Eisenbahn
Once a vandal, learned to be better and had great success!