Welcome to the forum   
Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
View
Go to last post in this topic Go to first unread post in this topic
Offline upthehill  
#1 Posted : 27 July 2014 08:59:13(UTC)
upthehill

United States   
I'm an idiot. I bought a zscale starter set and kept it in my office. I bought it home for my daughter to play with and the engine got cat hair in the wheels and stopped. I unscrewed the bottom, removed the gears and removed the cat hair. I put the train back together making sure that the little metal fingers are inside the train wheels making contact but the train still doesn't go. Is that how it should be? How do I remove the chasis to see if theres anything in the motor? Anything else I should try?

Thanks
Online H0  
#2 Posted : 27 July 2014 09:07:19(UTC)
H0

Hi,
And welcome to the forum.
Originally Posted by: upthehill Go to Quoted Post
How do I remove the chassis to see if there’s anything in the motor?
It would help to indicate the ref. number of the set to let us know which loco we are talking about.
Some have screws, some are clipped together. The manual should indicate how to take it apart.

Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline upthehill  
#3 Posted : 27 July 2014 09:14:01(UTC)
upthehill

United States   
Thanks for the quick reply it is Märklin Z Gift Freight Starter Set Product #81564 - http://marklin.shptron.c...freight-starter-set?pp=8
Online H0  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2014 09:33:33(UTC)
H0

Do you hear anything when you apply power?
Could be a mechanical problem (e.g. cog wheel not inserted correctly and locking the gear) or a contact problem (e.g. with the wheel sliders).

If you hear something (humming motor): do not apply power for a long time, this could fry the motor.

Do you have a continuity tester? Check for electric contact between wheels and motor brushes.

The manual can be found here (copy URL to address field):
Code:
http://medienpdb.maerklin.de/product_files/1/pdf/81564_betrieb.pdf
Regards
Tom
---
"In all of the gauges, we particularly emphasize a high level of quality, the best possible fidelity to the prototype, and absolute precision. You will see that in all of our products." (from Märklin New Items Brochure 2015, page 1) ROFLBTCUTS
UserPostedImage
Offline upthehill  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2014 16:56:17(UTC)
upthehill

United States   
So I removed the chassis and I think I see the problem. There is a small circuit? board and it looks like a piece of circuit board has fallen off. I will see if Marklin will replace. Thanks.
Offline Jay939598  
#6 Posted : 29 July 2014 01:02:36(UTC)
Jay939598

United States   
First of all, I got the same Starter Set for Christmas and love it! I now have 3 more engines and numerous cars. Marklin Z is addictive.

Not sure about the circuit board? Check out a video on Youtube called '8864 Take-Apart' posted by sgytje. Exactly what it sounds like, but seeing someone actually take apart and put together makes it much easier. One idea is to disassemble until minute 1:04. Don't take out the brushes unless you need to because they are a pain to get back on if not necessary. Skip ahead to about minute 3:50. He makes sure the wheels turn ok before putting the other gears back in. This is very important! The linkage connection must be at the same spot (pin holding the rods). If they are not all at 3:00 O'Clock (as an example), the gears will bind up. That may be your issue...certainly caused me grief before I figured it out.

Good luck getting it going again!
Offline Dangermouse  
#7 Posted : 31 July 2014 01:07:20(UTC)
Dangermouse

United Kingdom   
Get a fine pair of tweezers and use them to pull the hairs out.

I had the same problem with the leading/trailing trucks on a HO scale Wurttemberg T18 (3307) a while ago, they'd wound hair around their axles until the wheels wouldn't turn. I unbolted them from the loco and used a combination of physically pulling the hair out and repeated passes through an ultrasonic cleaning bath (this got rid of all the old grease and oil, which helped loosen the hair). Refitted them and it's fine.

You can safely put entire chassis through one of these devices, just take the electronics out before you dunk them and make sure you re-oil sparingly after you've allowed it to dry. I just use warm water and washing up liquid, as that's a surprisingly powerful degreaser but doesn't harm paintwork.
You can never have too many Silberlinge